1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Well that's good to hear about Rama. Got some other audiobooks queued so will come back round to that once I'm done.

Expanse is really good, and was the first space opera style book I've read. What I like about it is that it's the future but not too much future but with still enough scifi stuff to keep that part of me satisfied. Throw in some good mysteries and it's brilliant.

I started them when the TV series was announced to see what all the fuss was about and haven't looked back. Will be interesting to see how they adapt it for TV, whether the follow the books story chronologically or mix it up between a few of the stories so far.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

So the series of books, is more stories set in the same universe than a single story over multiple books?

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I finished Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth a few days ago.
    I've read quite a few graphic novels before, but this really is something else. Wow.

4. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

How can I explain this well.....

I would say it is more a single story set over multiple books as each book builds on what came before. Each book has it's own main story though.

If you were to pick up book three, although you would be able to follow the main story you wouldn't necessarily understand what is going on. (background/history/past references etc.)

There are a core group of characters that continue through each book (and the big main story) and each book subsequently introduces new characters relevant to that books particular storyline.

Each chapter is told from a characters point of view, like Game of Thrones (book 1 is purely from two characters point of view, book 2 and 3 have expanded this to multiple character chapters per story) Usually all characters stories merge at the end of that particular book. Some characters stories are then either ended naturally and you don't hear about them again, while others continue into the next book.

Hopefully that makes sense.

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Cool, thanks for that. Pretty much what I expected but wanted to clarify as the local library have a the 3rd book (twice!)...

Looks like a visit to Amazon is in order :)

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I started it last night and wondered the same thing - Was definately a very sad moment in the book.

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Finished book 3 of the expanse today - Abbadon's Gate.

Another good entry in the series but about half way through roughly figured out how the book would end. Didn't spoil it for me though, shocks and twists throughout the book were good, a couple even left me with my mouth open while listening, stunned.

I think it is probably the weakest of the series so far but still very good nonetheless. Will be skipping the next one on Audiobook as it is done by a different narrator who apparently isnt the best. So going to pick up the paperback at somepoint.

Now I'm moving on to something a bit lighter - The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde - Book 6 - One of our Thursday's is Missing.

8. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Basket Case - Carl Hiaasen

Going through a phase reading his books. I love the rich, colourful characters he creates. And the supporting cast of insane Florida residents has me in stitches!

The recurring character of Skink is always brilliant when/if he turns up in any book

9. asura

asura jack of all trades

Forever War/Freedom/Peace omnibus...

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure, by Jerry Kaplan. It covers the life of Go, the pioneer in pen-based portable computing and the inspiration for Apple's Newton (and, arguably, the iPhone, iPad, and so forth). "One of the best business books of 1995," said Business Week, and at £2.50 delivered from the US how could I resist?

Speaking of: does anyone know how companies that offer books at £0.01 with £2.49 postage from the US actually make any money? There can't be much of a profit margin left once you've put the book in a Jiffy bag, paid the USPS, and given Amazon its cut...

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just finished Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, which was entertaining.
    I'm now diving into the second book Moon Over Soho which is more of the same, building on the sideways view of London created in these tales.

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

New Ben book coming out soon, so you'd better get cracking :D

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It is indeed a good series.
    I just finished Nemesis Games (the last one so far), and things certainly do go from bad to worse! Also learned that the series is currently in production as a TV-series due to premiere december 14th. Joy! We need a good new sci-fi series on the tube these days!

Edit: And I see you've already mentioned the TV-series... oh well, too late again. :)

14. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Finished the Thursday Next book which was as fun as ever.

Now listening to Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline and narrated by Will Wheaton. Only a few chapters in but the build up so far has been good, a the description of the world the character lives in and the Oasis has so far been very interesting. Just waiting for the main story to kick in!

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

After some asshole mentioned the race to me again, I've been re-reading;

The Tome of Drow Lore (D20) and The Quintessential Drow. Still miffed I can't find my hardback copy of the former.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Very good series of fun books to read!:thumb: Eagerly awaiting the release of the next chapter.

Probably the best adventure-comedy-retro-pop-culture book ever written. Follow this up with Armada, you won't be disappointed! Well, maybe the ending (Armada) will be as disappointing for you as it was for me, but the rest of the book was great.

Finished:

The Girl in the Spider's Web
    Selling Hitler
    How To Archer (kind of forgot about it...it is brilliant, though!)

Now reading:
    Solo (007 novel by William Boyd) - great fun so far and definitely feels like a proper Bond. I can only recommend to read/watch Archer and then read Bond. The whole thing about booze, spending ridiculous amounts of money, girls, booze and being a highly-functioning alcoholic... yep, Archer is oh so right. :D

Next up:
    The Dark Tower saga by Stephen King (again) - this time in preparation of the first movie in January 2017 (FINALLY! :rock: Yet I'm oh so scared.... :worried:)

Still waiting for this to transform into an actual book:
    [​IMG]

17. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Ready Player One has been fantastic so far, will add Armada to my wish list.

Have also added The Passage by Justin Cronin to my wish list after investigating the picture you posted! Will probably be my next audiobook, sounds interesting.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Peripheral by William Gibson. Refreshingly Sci-Fi after the Blue Ant Trilogy.

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to check it out, having read the Blue Ant Trilogy earlier in the year.

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

:thumb:

Just remembered I also have End of Watch by Stephen King on pre-order and the next Black Wings of Cthulhu .