1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BOOOO for ADSL - NTL or Blueyonder?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 6 Nov 2006.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I recently moved out from the sticks and further in towards civilisation and was looking forward to upping my ADSL to 8mb (2mb was tops before) only to find that the exchange I'm on in the new place won't support any more than 1Mb :/ (and theres no freaking way I'm going to pay 35 a month for 1Mb!)

Currently I'm with Zen and shudder at the thought of going to either NTL or Blueyonder, but 10Mb vs 1Mb is quite the swaying factor.

I've been with NTL in the past and never had any issues, but I've heard loads of horror stories from friends.

So my questions are to any cable customers out there...
    the 10Mb service - does that actually mean 10Mb, and I can look forward to download speeds in excess of 1MB/sec, or does it mean that once in a blue moon I'll get that speed but mostly it will linger about at 2Mb

Reliability - it was pretty solid when I had NTL but that was a few years ago and only 2Mb

Do either of them block any ports? torrents? etc

Anything else I should know?

Last edited: 6 Nov 2006
  2. BUFF

BUFF New Member

well NTL & Telewest are really 1 company now & which is available to you will depend upon your area.
    I'm on 4MB NTL & it generally comes in at ~3.8 after overheads.
    I've been with NTL for years & like you I've heard the horror stories but not experienced it.
    I've also heard plenty of horror stories about ADSL providers too.

btw they're supposedly trialling 20Mb at the moment & there's also supposed to be a package shake up around the end of the year.i

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i'm on 10mbit now with NTL and the TV service
    so it's a total of £37 a month

if using rapidshare.de or .com speeds of 1.1mb/s are what i always get

4. Mister_Tad

aye, I realised my typo just after I posted but my internet crapped out, maybe the line cant even support 1Mb! :rolleyes:

I meant NTL or Blueyonder

5. BUFF

BUFF New Member

still 1 company ...

6. Mister_Tad

is it? I knew they use the same infrastructure but I didnt realise they're the same - ie, tech support, customer services etc would be the same call centres?

7. BUFF

BUFF New Member

NTL, Telewest, Virgin Mobile - all 1 company now.
    They probably haven't got all the CS etc. integrated yet but they'll get around to it ...

8. koola

koola Active Member

I'm on NTL 2Mb BB and never had any problems. There was some short downtime a couple of months ago, but that last less than 1 hour (I was on at 3.00am in the morning lol).

NTL deffo :thumb:

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

had great experiences with telewest. been with them for over 5 years, service has been flawless until recently where i've had a fairly prolonged issue. it's been fixed (fingers crossed) and hopefully the service will keep being solid.

10. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i'm with NTL too and have never had a prob with them i'v had down time but like koola its 3.00ish i've got the 4mb was 2mb but they gave me 4mb now don't think they do a 2mb now do thay.

11. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Another vote for NTL - we've been with them for over 3 years and they've been good. We've probably had a total of 12 hours downtime over the 3 years, which is nothing really. When it does go down, it doesn't take the whole of the 'net, which is odd.

12. Mister_Tad

I'm sold, if it sucks I'm holding you lot personally responsible :D

13. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

its just a DNS server going down

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Not NTL's fault then? If so, then we've had pretty much 100% uptime on NTL's behalf.

15. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

I've had blueyonder about 4 years now and it's been flawless. No shaping, no capping and a fast service. Their support isn't bad either (although I did last use it about 2 years ago, can't speak it for now).

I've usually only got over 1MB/s from very fast servers (Ubuntu repositories being one example), but downloads from "normal" websites go at about 500-800KB/s. The capacity is definitely there however, because I can max it out at about 1MB/s with a few going at once.

I can't have had more than 24 hours of downtime in all the time I've had it. I've found it to be extremely reliable :)

Last edited: 7 Nov 2006
  16. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Vote for Telewest here.

Signed up to their 512k package quite a while ago, and have been upgraded for free all the way up to 10Mb over the years.

Never had too big a problem, i.e. nothing that doesn't happen with any ISP.

I am waiting for the 20mb upgrade next :p

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

NTL customer service is absolutely dire. Once they have managed to get you set up, the service is actually pretty good.

They don't block anything as far as I can tell and have never complained on the repeated occasions that I've smashed their fair use policies, caps or whatever scheme they have been on at the time.

In fact, they don't even bill me but that's just another customer services mess up. shhhhh ;)

18. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

well ive just gone from BT because of some issues I had with them but we wont go into that! Anyway switched to NTL which was supposed to be installed yesterday but through no fault of mine or NTL's (but those dodgy builders that built the houses next door to us recently) they couldnt connect the cable, anyway on the 20th they're gunna not only dig up the pavement outside of my house but potentially some of my garden path this doesnt bother me and I agreed to it especially since they are not gunna charge me for any of it I thought they might my garden path, my mate has a 10 MB connection and he says its always a stable 10 MB!

So I cant wait for it to be installed :D

Just incase you need to check anything www.samknows.com loads of internet stuff on there about exchanges and what not!

Tags: