1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Boot problems. . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wira, 30 May 2012.

1. Wira

Wira Spoderman

So I just built a computer for a friend, specs as follows:

Case: Silverstone TJ08
    Mobo: Asus Z77 maxiumus gene V
    CPU: intel 3570K
    PSU: coolermaster 600W silent pro gold
    GPU: Gainward Gtx670 phantom
    RAM: Crosair Vengeance 1600mhz 1.5v jet black.

Upon starting it for the first time everything seemed to work. The motherboard was lighting up and giving temperature readings, all fans were spinning including those on the GPU, and the harddrive sounded like it was spinning. No issues as far as I could see (no boot beep maybe?).

As we try and plug the pc into a screen the problem appears. After trying both an HDMI television and a VGA screen we couldn't get any signal whatsoever. There's no signal at all, neither screen even seemed to recognise it was plugged in.

Blaming it on the GPU, I tried testing it in a different working PC. No problems whatsoever.

I've run out of ideas, and need some help figuring out what is causing the problem.

Only thing I can think of is that we did have some problems seating the GPU as the space inside was very limited. The backside of the GPU was almost touching the CPU cooler (a couple of mm to spare) and it was very difficult to see if the GPU was seated correctly due to the size of the case.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Wira

PS. did try to reseat the GPU once at least. one minor problem appeared, The GPU seemed to flex (inwards from the back) when the VGA was plugged in.

2. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Have you disabled the Integrated Graphics Processor in the bios
    do you have both 2x 6-Pin PCI-E power rails connected to the video card

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You have the RAM in the wrong slots.

Or

You haven't plugged the 4 pin CPU cable in.

4. Wira

Wira Spoderman

I can't access the BIOS, no display whatsoever. Also, I'm not getting any error beeps so I don't think lack of power is the problem.

I'm thinking it might be the RAM, or the GPU not being properly seated, even though I tried twice. I'll try and retest with only one ram stick ASAP.

The very flexy GPU seems to be a clue to me, as I'm not getting the same in my other pc.

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Have you ensured that the Motherboard Bios is updated? I had this exact same issue with my 990FX-UD3 when it turned up. Appeared dead, but the reality was that the bios just couldn't recognize the CPU and couldn't post.

Equally; do you have a spare GPU? Pull out your current 560 and use that to test, just to be sure. Also try the second socket on the Gene, it's capable of SLI, and the second socket won't hurt it, so it might be an issue with that.

6. Wira

Wira Spoderman

the second socket is basically unusable as the fan intake would be up against the powersupply.
    I have another GPU and I'll test it with that.

How would I go about updating the BIOS without turning the system on?

7. .//TuNdRa

The Asus ROG boards have a function that they should, in theory, flash new bios on from USB, even without a processor installed. I'm not 100% sure what needs to be done, but I think it's as simple as putting a Bios image on a Pendrive less than 4GB in size, plug it in, start the machine, don't touch a single bloody thing, then let it do the work.

Although it may also be an idea to read the manual, because that likely says it too.

I'm not saying use the second socket permanently, just for testing purposes, that's all, tells you if the socket or whole board is dead.

Wait, I think this should be it. Clicky!

And the asus site confirms existance of the USB Bios Flashback function on the board, so all you need is a suitable bios file, which can be downloaded straight from Asus, then rename it to whatever is stated in the motherboard manual. Which may be MGv.rom or similar.

8. Wira

Wira Spoderman

okay, tank you.

9. .//TuNdRa

No worries. I do know that the BIOS file has to be named appropriately in order for this to function. I'm not, however, sure what the correct file-name is, so have a shuffle through the manual, as i've said.

10. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

You could pull the Graphics card out all together and see if it works that way. I just looked up the board and it says it has on board graphics through display port or HDMI. Before you flash the bios.

11. Wira

Wira Spoderman

did think of that originally. We tried running a TV off the HDMI output on the MOBO, got nothing.

Will be able to try getting it running again tomorrow, will give an update then, just looking for thing s to try when I'm at it.

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  12. Wira

Wira Spoderman

just to update, I got it fixed quite easily (luckily).
    With such an indescribable error, I started out by just reseating the RAM and GPU again and guess what, it worked.

So just keep at it.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Damn, I missed this. As I could've helped you easily just by pointing you towards the POST codes...

14. Wira

Wira Spoderman

even without any screen output?

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

YUP ! Dual 7 segment display for BIOS codes...

dunx

16. Wira

Wira Spoderman

oh well, good to know for some other time ;)