1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot up problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cfuk, 7 Apr 2005.

1. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

Hi, i've just built a sli system and i'm having problems with it. When i turn my PC on in a morning or when for the first time nothing comes up on the screen. If i turn it off with the power button and back on a second or third time the system boots up on screen. I have also noticed that some times that the system is still booting up, but you can't see it on screen. Also when i boot the system up for the first like i get a longish beep (about 6 seconds).

One more thing, how loud are arctic coolers ment to be? i fitted two and they seem very loud to me :(.

Can you please help

System:

Asus A8n SLI Deluxe
    A64 3500+
    2x XFX 6800GT
    1gb Corsair XMS3200XL
    2x Maxtor 200gb hdds
    Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS
    Enermax EG701AX-VE(W)SFMA 600W

2. blah

blah Minimodder

Tell me about those Arctic Coolers on 6800GTs!!!

They arn't very good and they arn't particularly very good at cooling.

I had to buy a fan mate for it, it is now running at the minimum and is virtually silent now, my idle temperatures range from 65-75 but it all works fine. You need to buy a fan mate.

3. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

zalman fan mate? but will the plug on the arctic if it?

anyone got any cues on the problem? :(

4. blah

blah Minimodder

The Cooler has a 2 pin adapter. The Zalman is a 3 pin. You just leave one of the pins out and plug it in. Its pretty simple as I managed to do it. Just remember to look at the colours of the 2 wires and match them up. It's really simple to do.

5. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

might give it a try :) thanks

still need to fix the boot problem lol

6. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

Not sure. But have heard of cold boot issues, where sometimes a board will refuse to boot the first time it's switched on, but afterwards works fine.

7. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

anyone else? can this problem be fixed?

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I had a problem with an ABIT mobo (model ??) once. It insisted that the HDDs spin up immediately with no start up delay. It only booted after a reset when the HDDs were already spinning.

9. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

did you fix it or just rma the board?

10. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

hmm well i just live with it cant see the point rma the board have you got any chip koolers on the graphics card? if so did u apply artic silver? as some may hav got on the pcb and could be affecting it or is this a board issue

11. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

i was having the problem before i changed the coolers and i have added artic :)

12. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

well its hard to say. Sounds like it may be more than one problem.

The display not coming up properly basically has to be either your video card or you monitor (from the way you describe it). Are you saying later when the video comes on, you are already booting the OS? I mean there are a 100 different ways to explain this, but I don't think I have the proper detail to guess which it is.

Here is the main/first thing - on the times it does work, does the display always come on before the OS starts to load?

The long beep is about 75% likely to be either for your video card or your memory.

try a different video card. try a different monitor.

13. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

when it boots up proper it comes on from the start (the bios splash screen etc), but i have noticed that once windows has loaded i get a screen saying that the display settings are not right and click yes to set them right.

I can't try another gfx card as i only have the 2 pci-e cards for sli. So you don't think it's the board? i got the cards from some one, so if it's that i will need to get on to them.

14. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I found it somewhere, so I kept it. Once I knew the work around I just left the computer on most of the time.

15. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

i've just looked at the gpu core temps and card one is runung at 64/72 and the second card is at 50/58. Do you think this could mean a problem with the cards?

16. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

right, i've fixed the boot up problem by changing the cards around, but now when i go into windows it says that SLI has been disabled and it doesn't give me the option to turn it back on as it's saying the card is not plugged in. Do i need to reinstall windows or something?

17. TMM

TMM Modder

are both the cards flashed with EXACTLY the same bios?. And are the cards running on seperate power lines from your psu?

18. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

i couldn't really tell you, they are both V1 cards, but i haven't tried to flash the bios as i don't know where to get them from for the card.

19. cfuk

cfuk What's a Dremel?

anyone? i really need to fix this or i have no sli :(

20. TMM

TMM Modder

a requirement of SLI is that both cards have exactly the same bios. that said if they are the same brand/type/revision then they probably will. Im not too sure how you would go about dumping the bioses and seeing if they were the same (im not too experienced with nvidia cards and bioses ;)), so thats about as far as i can go on this topic :/

The not plugged in message sounds like a power issue or something tbh.