1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

booting xp from external hd?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exavier412, 8 Dec 2007.

1. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm wondering what is necessary in order to boot into xp from an external HD. I'm trying to set up an older (XP 2000+, Gigabyte GA-7VAXP) computer just for fun. the thing is, I currently use the hard drive (it's partioned) as a place to backup media and stuff for my mac.

I have Windows on a small partition, and my backup stuff on a larger partition. Do you think it would be better to access the backup partition from my mac via the network or just unplug the external hd enclosure fom the PC and plug it into the mac? I guess that it would be easier to just run it through the network, negating the need for me to use an external HD enclosure. Is this true?

Let me know what you think the recommended process for doing this is.
    If you need me to clear something up, just let me know.

2. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

booting from an external drive depends on the BIOS. I don't know about having a mac and Windows partition and booting from it. I haven't had good luck with just using them (without booting off them) partitioned that way. if you could format the whole drive windows, then just share to the mac, that would work except for things like video editing.

3. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Unless the external drive is e-SATA and you plan to use it.. put the Hd in the PC and let the Mac network... Because even with USB 2.0 or Firewire, XP is going to run like a sleep deprived snail because of the slow interconnect speed and the added latency of going through the externals controller....

It would also remove the issues of if your mobo even allows booting from an external.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I hope that your external HDD has eSATA... 'cause trough USB... it MIGHT be slow, specially that generally those external hdd's turn at 5400 rpm.