1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Borealis 2/28: Mini Text Update. Still here....

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Qhs, 3 Nov 2007.

1. widmod

widmod Minimodder

nice progress fits like a glove

2. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

how is the heat gunna escape from the box that surrounds the heat output:confused:

3. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Are you not my father in disguise? lol he popped in the basement yesterday and asked me a similar question. Both fans blow out so it will be sucking the heat, but since it is surrounded, how will the air get in the first place? I was thinking of putting mesh under the cooler (The chassis will be on the bottom of the case.) so it will suck in air from the bottom, through the heatsink (Has 1.5mm distance between each "ring"), and out the fans.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Holy ? ! I know why this was held up in shipping. It looks like a Holywood-made BOMB! They were probably scared you would go after a bridge with it.

The copper in the F lines is from the chroming process. The copper can get into cracks better than the chromium, so sometimes it's exposed in spots like this.

You need one of those red LED clocks in this somewhere, running on an infinite countdown.

5. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

What does it do?!?! Other then cool. I mean like what is it?!?!

6. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

lol I guess for people who have never seen the insides of a computer to think that was some homemade bomb. Good idea Cheapskate. Something like 00:00:00 and just keeps putting out random numbers. Oh and maybe another LED to guess the code to defuse. Like in the CoD4 trailers where they symbols type out Modern Warfare.

Its just a really really big Thermoelectric Cooler. The blue rectangles are the TECs (12 in all, 3/rectangle) which are attached to the humongo heatsink. The fans pull the hot air that emanates from the heatsink. No, it does not make people fly or create black holes/Portals. Well the black hole/Portal idea fits the project since part of the idea did come from Half-Life 2 Episode 3. Its just a huge cooler. ;)

Did a little more for the Chassis. Took off ~5mm from the foot bracket and installed in on the Chiller. There is a small gap between the Chassis and the bottom, but I think that will look good when the CCFL light are turned on. Something like a glow. Also made a small hole on the side of the back panel for the tubing and wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this I had to do some speed cleaning before Thanksgiving. Lol the top 1/2 of the table is for my h20 build (Done since Nov 11. Update soon) and the bottom 1/2 is for Borealis. Before and After pictures:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

つづく....

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

With that last shot angle, you cannot tell that below it is a big pile of boxes and assorted items! Just kidding, I'm guilty of the same thing. I really like the chiller and it's own little compartment within the computer case.

8. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

lol under the table are wholesale sized packages of tissue boxes, paper towels, toilet paper.

At first I was like, "ugh this doesn't look right." And then after nearly completing the chassis. I was like, "zOMG!" Thanks for the motivation! :thumb:

Next phase is getting the Corsair TX750 PSU. ETA for buying is November 25, 2007 from Zipzoomfly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007112&prodlist=pricegrabber) $159.90 - $25 MIR + FreeShipping = Good Deal!

After that more DIY stuff from Performance-PC to finish the bottom portion of the case (lol what is Qhs talking about. NO CASE!). Me and my "invisible" items. ETA is probably same as PSU.

Also the jigsaw from Home Depot. ETA before the case arrives.

After that the case. ETA for buying is December 9, 2007. Then 100% case modding till end of January. :clap:

9. Barrolde

Barrolde uber cool

yikes

Hey Sam!

Looks good my friend... glad everything made it to you eventually :/

You are right about the spring covers for the tubing, i'll send some out to you today Canada Post style. I think its amazing and i'll be passing it around the office this morning. Two pieces of advice though.. 1. getting some air intake in there is going to be crucial 2. It looks like the exhaust holes you cut do not line up perfectly with the fans. As i'm sure you know, the majority of air that a fan moves comes from just inside its circumference. It would be better to have your holes a little to big than a little too small.

my two cents!

your a mad modder, keep it up.

B

10. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

A status report on the Borealis Mod.

The Boreas Chiller fits in the CoolerMaster COSMOS case! w00t!

But the Chassis I built for the Chiller is just too big, no w00t :wallbash:

So I'm going to fabricate a new chassis out of 1 mm Aluminum, which should work better.

I already did some final sketched and what not so I'll begin working on it the week of Dec 10. I'll post a MASSIVE update (Three to four posts long maybe) probably around Christmas when I get most of the new Chassis done. It will include everything from Black Friday shopping to pulling my hair out to Chassis VR2. The title will be "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly." See you then.

つづく....

11. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

[​IMG]

Do you like my Teaser Poster? :D

OK another text update.

I've gotten ~50% the Boreas Chassis version 2. Looks much MUCH better than the original one that did not fit.

Instead of doing "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" update, I have decided to forgo that and do a "SuperNova" Update on the first day of the new year.

Here is a first look. This is the PSU Cover for the Boreas Chassis with 3 coats of primer.

[​IMG]

Oh an all the logos of Half Life 2, Portal, Aperture, and Valve belong to the Valve Corporation.

つづく....

Last edited: 22 Dec 2007
  12. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Looks good!

I'm still kinda lost on whats going on but I'm sure I'll understand by new years.

Keep it up! Can't wait!

13. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

lol yeah got to retell the whole mod again with the SuperNova Update. Everything was going well till the original chassis did not fit. I had to go back to drawing board for a week and came up with a better idea. lol should have titled the update "BigBang" since the SuperNova update is like a complete restart. :)

Another teaser shot. The Aperture Laboratories logo.

[​IMG]

(Its just tape, not glue residue. Had to find a way to keep its position instead of glue place glue place. Ouy spacing out those triangles are a @#$@#)

Aperture Logo belongs to Valve Corporation.

つづく....

14. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

SuperNova Update: Gear

[​IMG]

Ok so here is the SuperNova Update I promised everyone. Think of this as post #1, page #1 since all the modding I did before this update was for null. :wallbash:

Lets recap what this mod is about. It is inspired by aspects of Portals and Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (hint hint: when mod hopefully will be done). Portals because of the Boreas TEC Chiller looks like something Aperture Laboratories would make and HL2 EP3 because the next destination is a ship called "Borealis," also made by Aperture Laboratories, and how sharp and industrial Combine buildings and apparatuses looked.

This update will encompass everything done from November 23, 2007 to January 1, 2008.

So lets get to the update first thing I will talk about is the Gear:

For Black Friday Shopping I bought a Skil jigsaw, rubber mallet, jig blades, and another roll of delicate masking tape all from Home Depot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few days after that I got some modding material and the Corsair 750TX power supplyfrom Performance-PCs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A day after that the most important piece of the puzzle arrived. The case. I decided to go big and got the COSMOS 1000 case made by CoolerMaster.

[​IMG]

I also needed more tables so I bought a Edsal workbench on Drillspot.com. Nice site BTW. And bought a steel 18" bending brake from ebay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was more UV CCFL's from Per-PCs

[​IMG]

One new 3M 7192 respirator from ebay.

[​IMG]

And some more screws and spacers from Home Depot.

[​IMG]

One thing I did not take apicture of was the MTEC Control Center that Coolit sells. You will see it in the modding section of the update.

Ok thats it for the Gear section.

15. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

SuperNova: Intermission

[​IMG]

Lol yes its already time for an intermission. This will be short. The next update section, the modding section is long.

As some of you know I am an anime person so therer MUST be some anime.

Some notables for Anime in 2008:

Haruhi Season 2 [Spring 2008]

Opening for Season One:

Code Geass Season 2 [April 2008] (Season 1 won Best Animation @ the Kobe Animation Award Ceremony, Oscars for Anime)

Opening for Episode 24/25 for Season One:

Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino [January 7, 2008]

Trailer for Season One [English]

Opening for Season One:

If you are interested, I wrote a review over at ArniesAirsoft: Gunslinger Girl Season One Review

Kite: Liberator [was January 25, 2008 now TBA]

Two of the most recent trailer:

lol Tribal has his SpongeBob (which reminds me) and I have my Haruhi figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok thats it for Intermission Section.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  16. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

SuperNova Update: Modding

[​IMG]

After receiving the case, I promptly undressed it. :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad will fit.

[​IMG]

Then I promptly removed the HDD drive bay. Yes it was very unique, but it has to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I wanted to see if everything fits.

[​IMG]

Perfect!

The reason why the previous modding update were null was because the original Boreas Chassis was to big. Way to big to fit in any case. Even the COSMOS, one of the biggest on the market. So I scrapped that, saving the nuts and screws, and wenmt back to the drawing board. About two weeks later I came up with a WAY better idea.

The Boreas Chassis now consists of six parts.
    • PSU Top
    • PSU Side
    • Boreas Top/Angle
    • Boreas Angle Side
    • Boreas Control Side
    • Boreas Visible/Logo Side

>>The following will be all modding done on the PSU Top section of the Chassis.

LOL the restrictions of router tables.

[​IMG]

After all the cutting and measuring and whatnot

[​IMG]

Now three coatings of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then three coatings of Flat Black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After drying, screwed everything together and BAM!

[​IMG]

:thumb: Bada Ba Ba Ba! I LOVIN' IT! :D

>>The following will be all modding done on the Boreas Top/Angle of the Chassis.

Lol didn't take pictures of the cutting and whatnot. Only after bending it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to see if it fits.

[​IMG]

YES!

With UV and UV Blue Acrylic?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YES! :clap:

I also wanted to integrate the Aperture logo somewhere and decided the placement should be in the middle of where the "Angle" is on the Boreas Angle/Top piece. Its where all the line converge into one spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok then I took a break from cutting and went to cable sleeving. The main cable theme for this mod is each wire has it's own sleeve. Makes it look complicated and more wiring like how many things the the Half-Life Universe look like. Very challenging too I BROKE MY NEW PSU TOO! Yes this is what happens to n00bs lol. Anyway more about the broken PSU later.

Here I sleeved both 3-pin fan extension cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know how to sleeve SATA cables so I asked Per-PC if they do it. They said it was no problem. lol no problem? How the heck...

[​IMG]

Didn't take a picture of it (You will see it later on) I also sleeve one 3-pin aux sensor extension and one 4-pin P4 TEC extension cable.

>>The following will be all modding done on the Boreas Control Side of the Chassis.

I wanted to be able to see the MTEC Control Center so I decided to integrate it into the Side panel of the Chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should look something like this, but with the wires inside, not outside.

[​IMG]

Two sections 100% DONE!

[​IMG]

Ok back to the PSU. Yes I did pull out one of the wires while sleeving the ATX 24-pin bundle. I was so close too. wire #12 :\. Yes so I didn't want to take the chance of being a n00b and wrecking another good PSU, so, again, I requested Per-PC to do it and they said they could. Here is the result:

[​IMG]

Wonder how it will look once everything is plugged in. BTW inspiration comes from a XtremeSystem's member, Sinson's, mod: http://murderbox.com/ Very :hip:

So here we stand at this point:

The Boreas Chassis
    • DONE! PSU Top
    • PSU Side
    • 1/2 DONE! Boreas Top/Angle
    • Boreas Angle Side
    • DONE! Boreas Control Side
    • Boreas Visible/Logo Side

The next few week I will be working on more sleeving, the Boreas Angle Side and the PSU Side of the Boreas Chassis.

Thinking of making this a hybrid system of TEC and water cooling. Tec for just the CPU and water for the GPU, and chipset. Reason being is that I might go with the MSI X48 HydroGen (Which means I will stay with Intel unless AMD can surprise us with the Phenom FX) which is 100% water cooling for both north and south brides and I don't want to add that and the GPU into the loop. Might just use one 120 (Swiftech or PA) on the fan duct next to the mobo or use a 120x2 on top (Swiftech or PA) to cool the GPU (Possible AMD R700 or the 3870 X2 in CrossfireX formation) and the chipset.

As for pump I might stay with the Coolit pump that I bought, or I might use a DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's Top that I had left over form my previous mini build, or I might upgrade to a Aqua Computer Aquastream XT USB Eheim 12 Volt Liquid Cooling Pump Still thinking.

Till then! Oh Happy New Years!

つづく....

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  17. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

it must have been tedious to individually sleeving all those wires (i feel sorry for Per-PC, lol)
    and that angle plate accentuates the case/chiller a lot.

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Wow, I was kinda wondering just where the hell this was going. This is awesome, I'm really surprised by your ingenuity. Makes me wish I had this idea first. Oh well, I've got one you'll love still...

19. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

Looking good mate. Where did you get the water chiller from?

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Love the divider plate, keep on going :)

Tags: