1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

borked IBM deskstar

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbappa, 5 Dec 2002.

1. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

ahhhhhh my IBM 30Gb Deskstar has just disappered!

first my comp crashes a couple of times-then things started to go all slow and then after another restart it said it had found new hardware with some gobble de gook for a name-and now E: drive aint there?

i have already sent it off to IBM to be fixed-after been all round the world it was the same drive but fixed and now its acting up once again! can i send it back again?

2. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Yup you can RMA it but expect the same drive bodged to work again for a while rather than a new one :( and the RMA might take a while as well....

I gave up on IBM in the end, the last time my GXP-75 died i chucked it and got a Maxtor D-740X.

Apparently the current GXP-120/180 series IBMs are reliable, but the GXP-60 and the GXP-75 (which I presume your 30Gb model is) had an awful reliability record, not withstanding the fact that if your drive breaks it will be replaced with a 'refurbished drive' which is a broken one bodged to work again.

My 'refurbished' GXP-75 that replaced the first one that died lasted me just 2 months, yet some have had them to replace one duff drive and had the replacement die within 2 days :eeek:

If you moan enough and ask them to send a GXP-120 then they might do it, I've heard a couple of ppl who have had multiple drives die on them having it replaced with a newer and better model, so make a fuss until you get a brand new model with a better reliability record, rather than some rather battered looking second hand refurbished drive that they usually send.

Best of luck with the RMA mate!

3. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

yeah sorry meant GXP-60 not deskstar. ok will get my mum to write one of her really complainy emails. how do i go about rma'n it-complete forgot?

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm in the same boat mate, I got a 40 gig here thats bummeed out too :(

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

60gxp is part of the deathstar series...

go to ibm site, download utility, rma it from there..

get a replacement, or refurbished spare, as they call it, in other words, someone else f0cked hdd, then sell it on ebay to some n00b and buy a real hdd, ie seagate or wd...:worried:

6. RTT

RTT #parp

...or Maxtor :)

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

that too...i tend to not be able to think past 2 names after work..

8. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

just read this over at ocuk

<b>"I am demanding that IBM pick up my faulty 60GXP drive and replace it with a 120GXP but this mail came in today..

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

We have received a request to process a rma on your behalf for you to return your defective drive to us for replacement.

Before we process your request we would point out the following:

It is IBM's policy to exchange like for like drives, therefore your
    replacement drive would be of the same capacity and model

It is your responsibility to return the drive to us at your expense. IBM will pay the shipping costs of the replacement drive from the Logistics Cen.....blah blah blah......

Alternatively, a much quicker route for you to go through would be to return to your place of purchase who may be able to assist you.

Please let us know if you wish to proceed.

Regards
    IBM WARRANTY DEPT</b>

9. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Yeah mate I saw that myself over at OcUK....its there official policy but I have seen them go against that a couple of times in the past.

I recall someone buying a 60GXP, having it break, and getting a 102GXP off IBM to replace it, but it does seem to be luck more than anything. Some even put a box note in asking for anything but a refurbed GXP-75/60 and still got one :(

IIRC going to place of purchase for an RMA tends to be quick if you know the ppl in the shop, but after a year the shop don't legally have to do anything to replace faulty goods so its off to the manufacturer. Sometimes though even within a year the shop try it on, saying 'oh if we take it we have to send it back to IBM then we get a drive of them which we give to you, so its quicker to go direct', despite I think being legally abliged to replace it for you then 'within a reasonable timeframe' (which I doubt is the up to 6 weeks IBM can take for RMAs...). Anyway consumer law is another thread ;)

10. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

ggrrr at IBM-glad i still have my maxtor

11. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

We should have a poll to see how many people have had hard drives go *pop*, and sort it by manufacturer.

I myself had a 30gig 75GXP for ages which was fine till one day it started making clicking noises and then died on me :miffed:

Stick to Maxtor or WD I say!

12. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

**hopes his Deskstar 60GXP is the exception that proves the rule**

13. Modjeski.NET

Modjeski.NET What's a Dremel?

Including the boxes at work I've seen 6 seagates die within the past year. 2 9gigs(UWSCSI SCA), 1 12gig, 1 15gig, and 2 40gigs. I will never buy seagate again.

On another note, my Maxtor 8.4 gig has finally started to die. I've only been beating on that for the past 6 years.

I would agree with you on the WD's, but every WD I've had has been REALLY slow. Maxtor seems to have a good compromise between speed and reliability. Good RMA policy I've heard also.

14. ReversaL

ReversaL What's a Dremel?

get a WD Caviar Special Edition and then tell me if its slow.... :p

15. olv

olv he's so bright

I thought the WD 8mb cache drives are pretty much the fastest drives u can get?

16. RTT

RTT #parp

WD: Pretty much the fastest IDE drives around. I have 2 :naughty:

17. olv

olv he's so bright

Only because u got sent one for 'reviewing' :p

18. Modjeski.NET

Modjeski.NET What's a Dremel?

I've had a few plain Caviars, no Special Editions tho.

If someone wants to send me one for *review* :naughty:, I'd be happy to accept it :D

19. riggs

riggs ^_^

*BUMP*

just wanted to stick my nose in...

...my ibm f3cked up about 2 months ago...got the old 'clickety click' noises from it - evrything on the drive was garbled, BIOS wouldn't recognise it (unless you waited 10mins for the noises to stop and then detect the hardware) - i lost evrythin!
    20gb of MP3's all gone bye bye (yeah, i know, BACKUP - but come on...you expect me to sit for god knows how many hours, trying to back up 20Gb with only an 8x CD-RW?!? hell no...)

anywho - i did the stupid thing of making an RMA before i got the packaging to send it in (you MUST put the drive in an anti-static bag, and then put it in a proper hard drive box (or a box lined with 'foam-rubber')...if you don't they'll void your warranty!...but...when I bought the drive it didn't arrive in packaging like above?!?) - so now, when i check my RMA status, it says the RMA # doesn't exist (only acive for 30 days), but yet, when I try to create a new RMA it complains that the drive serial number already has an RMA assigned to it!

when i get round to sending it back i;m gonna do the eBay trick (sell it to someone who hasn't got a clue) and get me a couple of WD Caviar (8Mb cache) hard drives instead...

funny thought - i was looking through a computer mag about a year old, with a HDD roundup...the IBM GXP-60 came out on top...I wonder how many people read that review, bought an IBM, and are now in the same position as us??

i aint never buying IBM again...

20. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

I've had my 40Gb 60GXP Deskstar for 14 months so far and it's running fine however it seems have become much louder over time and makes a distinct ringing sound as it spins :/ I'm gonna back up all my stuff again soon just in case.