1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Boss Key's CliffyB declares his game career over

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Nov 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

After Lawbreakers I doubt he could get the financing if he wanted to. It's one thing for a game to miss it's sales targets, it's another entirely when the publisher publically announces that they have written off the whole cost of the project as a dead loss.

I do feel bad for him though. Lawbreakers was a really good arena shooter sunk by terrible marketing. The trailer made it look like a TF2/Overwatch clone, the release date came and went with apparently no marketing at all behind it. I didn't even know it was out until a couple of weeks later, when it was already on a hefty discount. Of course Cliffy set him himself up for a lot of it too, announcing Lawbreakers as the next BILLION DOLLAR FRANCHISE before he even had a trailer, not to mention the flip flop between Free to Play and paid then paid but with lootboxes when it was announced.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Technically, his games are wonderful. Look great, well optimised and they play well too.

But honestly, at heart, they are all fairly brainless shooters, in predictable, static environments. The world has moved on - but Cliffy B hasn't. Ideally what would happen is that he'd be the brains, creating the tech for someone else's game - but difficult to go and do that when you were the king...for a while.

Tags: Add Tags