1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycott against overpriced CDs and DVDs!

Discussion in 'General' started by star882, 29 Sep 2005.

1. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

http://www.say-no.se/

2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Remind anyone of the same idea, but with petrol??

Wont happen.

3. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

This is already happening and will continue to happen as long as people can get music and movies online. If movies and music were a decent price, there wouldnt be as many pirates.

Gas on the other hand is a complete ripoff..especially to people who are out of the united states.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Been doing it for years. The only time I'll buy media is as a gift, although I don't think I'll be doing that again, since I've thought about it and theres no reason to make exceptions for gifts. All we as consumers on our own can do to hurt the companies that set cause these prices is not buy the products they are selling. So thats what I do.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Well it worked the first time- the government froze tax rates on petrol prices and still have.

<A88>

6. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

I've been doing that for years, specially when a CD was 24US$ and our currency started to get worse, worse and worse, but the price was still the same.
    I even imported a CD from England and it was 20US$, s&h included.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thats all very well and good for CDs, but DVDs imo are priced very well - alot more goes into making a film, and at the likes of play.com there at very good prices.

Im not gonna help make play.com suffer because of the RIAAs obsession with money making.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Wow, CD's cheaper from the UK, thats hilarious. CD's are way overpriced now. If CD's cost under £5 each the record companies would do alot better, but they're too stupid and stubborn to try something new. I look forward to seeing them all fail.

Edit: DVD's priced well? Hmm, I dislike how everytime a new format comes out(tape>CD>SACD) or VHS>DVD things go up in price. There was no reason for that with DVD's, considering the things cost quite a bit less to make, its just the record companies being greedy.

Also, unlike you Bogomip, I'd be happy to see the whole damn industry come crashing down. Music isn't something that can be stopped, record industries have only existed in the last hundred or so years though.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

£5 CDs and £10 DVDs should really be the norm- I'd buy tons more CDs and get DVDs far more often if I were able to afford them. Considering one of the larger customer bases is people around my age (16), they need to make media affordable and not a luxury. IMO they'd make so much more profit if they cut the prices a bit so they stretched the appeal of buying music to more ages.

<A88>

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

One extended lord of the rings dvd costs £14 for the directors extended edition, with 2 dvds of extra footage (which are good if youre into lotr and gfx/sfx and that sort of thing) - I dont know how much they COST to make each, but i would expect all 3 in total to be well over a billion, but lets just say £333 million each for ease. They also took about 1/3 of a year EACH to make, and more than that they depict an epic book on the big screen in a fantastic way.

Otherwise you can get the 2hr30mins version for £8 - on 2 DVDs.

I dont know how you can complain - £8 min for such good entertainment ? Only wanna watch it once? then goto the cinema and spend under half of that for a 1 time see. Personally I would be gutted to see companies such as paramount come "crashing down", they have given me all the entertainment i may desire for 20 years now.

The movie industry sues people for stealing there stuff, which I concur with - I don't however think that the music industry has as much right as there stuff is generally more pricy and crapper in general (imo). But all in all, you dont have to buy stuff. You dobnt HAVE to download stuff - neither the movie industry or the music industry will decist because there not non-profit corporations.

Stop bitching and whining that albums cost too much because we have options now - itunes, cd-writers etc. If youre not going to buy albums or films then dont, just dont throw around accusations that there all greedy and money-hungry. If there was no profit in the business, there wouldnt be a business, and that would be worse than having to pay 200% inflated prices on stuff.

If youre really passionate about this, attack the restaurante industry, they mark stuff up by as much as 400% sometimes (and maybe more, thats what i heard on tv :))!

p.s. sorry about the mish mashed composition of this reply!

11. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

I think DVD's are fairly priced as they are tbh.

your getting at least 2 hours of entertainment out of them.

Its not as if films are cheap or quick to produce, most taking a number of years from the concept to the first showing.

The number of people needed to produce a film is also pritty large and they all need to be paid.

I think CD's however are a rip off, I think most legal online downloads are also pritty expensive atm.

12. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

The example you make of the lord of the rings isn't such a good one. When the dvds first came out their RRP was something like 22.99 for the normal version and 29.99-34.99 for the extended edition. These prices are a rip off. I know play.com was cheaper by about 8 pound son each of them on release but along the high street those prices i put up were the prices you were going to be paying.

The only advantage is that DVD prices drop quite quickly after release.

between 8-15 pounds is a fair price for a DVD, and about 6-8 pound is fair for a CD in my opinion. It's the stupid prices like 16 pounds for a CD given by Virgin and HMV that really annoys me.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Cinema costs £5.20 here, the lights stay on, there are obnoxious people, the cinema is barely worth going to anymore. Also, Paramount have not given you the entertainment, they have bought people, to make you said entertainment, and then sold it to you. Paramount are middle men, middle men the world could do without.

No-ones saying you do, in fact I believe this thread is about not buying the stuff, so I think it's fairly self-evident that people don't have to buy the stuff, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

No-ones bitching and moaning, people are simply stating their beliefs. Itunes still costs what, 90p a song? Which basicly works out at the same price as a CD pretty much, only you get crappy quality mp3s. I don't see why there not being a business would be worse then having to pay the prices we do right now. Music isn't exactly going to dissapear just because the record industry dies. Music is as old as humanity, the RIAA et all are 50 years old.

Sometimes, depends on the resteraunt, and what you're buying, wine costs considerably more then it does from a shop, but food generally has less of markup, as I say, depends on the resteraunt.

14. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I agree. DVD's aren't overpriced. I have more legal DVD's than I do cd's, but only because imo cd's are overpriced.

To record an album, for the artist, it costs a LOT less than to record a whole movie. Plus, actually pressing a DVD I think would cost a lot more than pressing a cd.

Online music prices aren't that bad, but they're still pretty expencive. Its like 99p for a track, when there are usually around 12 tracks on a cd. Thats around 12 quid for a 'cd' that you'd buy from iTunes or whatever. You could porlly buy that cd in stores for the same price, AND get it on a propper cd, with the case, booklet etc.

The boycott won't do anything at all, at least I dont think it will anyway.

15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

should be like 20p a song on the internet. i mean record companys don't do shizza, but they make alot of shizza and complain about not getting enough shizza. artists are the ones loosing out.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A single vote does nothing. It's when more and more people start to do it that it starts to have an effect. Anyway, just because somethings not going to suceed in it's main aim doesn't mean it isn't worth trying to do.

17. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I find DVDs are reasonable prices, what annoys me is the "extra ultra fantastic" editions that seem to pop out right after I buy the regular ones. To counter act I developed the method of waiting 6-12months before buying any DVDs I want. Same with CDs I normally obtain the album and then buy the CD a few months / years later when they are in the bargain bin for £5 or less.

18. TMM

TMM Modder

Buying CDs? what? *goes back to Bittorrent*

19. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

If i couldent d/l stuff for free:

Yeh DVD prices are a far more accurate reflection on what it attualy costs to make the movie. I still wont be buying any however as i dont think its worth paying £10 or whatever to see a couple of hours of film which i may only watch a couple of times!...

I think they should make movies that cost half the price and cut dvd costs by half too. Would be easy, movies dont need to be super expencive to be good.

i dont buy CDs from commercial bands period. Way too money grabbing.

As i can d/l it its all irrelivent relly :-/

20. dom_

dom_ --->

i think dvd's are great value, especially when you consider sites like play.com etc.
    as for cd's i think they are good value too! 1hour of music that i will listen to several times over. works out at very little per track in the end.

also i have no alternative, downloaded music is not cd quality. so i will not download it.

you should look at lp prices... £20 on average brand new for virgin vinyl of a decent weight. but again when you consider the times i will listen to it and the quality. i find it a good price. oh and the art work!