1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Brain-controlled video game made

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 22 Mar 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From the BBC:

A video game where the character is controlled directly from a player's brain, has been made by researchers.
    Mind Balance uses a new wireless headset which picks up brain wave patterns through special electrodes.

The player's brain is "tuned in" by concentrating on flashing images, and then they can control the game.

The technology could be used in future computer games, and could also help scientists make special computers to help people who can't move well.

More here...

:jawdrop: just.... :jawdrop:

The Matrix v0.01 :D

Last edited: 22 Mar 2004
  2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Wow. Talk about amazing. I remember a while back, some students from DeVry had created a "look and blink" system for disabled people. There was a headset that read eye movements, translated them into mouse movements, and you clicked on icons by blinking. But this.... Damn. Let's hope no one gets "digitalized" while playing it, and forced to ride around on light-cycles.

3. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

tbh it was bound to happen sonner or later, this type of technology has been available for years, but it used to take weeks if not months of training to master. I'd like to know how long they had to train the subject for.

4. pr3zlen4

pr3zlen4 What's a Dremel?

Well it takes a freakin' long time to master anything. I don't think I'll ever master my PC.

This all sounds really cool. I can't wait until I only need to think to play computer games! I'd like to order one of those headsets with the wireless option. I'll be in the kitchen playin games, makin food. Man it adds all sorts of extra challenges to the whole thing.

On another note, imagine the concentration techniques you'd develope. I'm not sure what it'd do to your attention span. But I mean... imagine having to put a lot of pure concentration just to play a game, then imagine using those skills to like listen to a lecture or something. Won't this make our ability to learn jump to knew heights? LOLOL... I'm just gabbing... but yeah.

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

This technology has been in development for quiet some time and I'm remember seeing early incarnations which would act like amouse and such. Now you'll really have to be focused. can you imagine what happens when you sneeze while playing? or get a bad itch?

6. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

:rock:
    The thought of mind controlled computers is very cool. That would be cool to have but wandering thoughts... haha.

7. pr3zlen4

pr3zlen4 What's a Dremel?

You know what we need? We need something that can totally like read and record all thoughts as they appear in your head. I've had some dreams I'd like to replay. Some really killer movie ideas that I could never afford. Some females I really wish I could recall... er... nevermind. LOL. Anyways, what I'm saying is, this would bring some very interesting things to life. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2004
  8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

The title just reminded me of the movie Brainscan for some reason.

Anyway, cool, but scary at the same time.
    More cool than scary though so :rock:

9. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

I'm always really sceptical when i see things like this appear around this time of year. On previous occasions i've been caught out by april fool's that run along a similiar line to this. PcExtreme did something about a device that could teach ppl knew things through signals passed directly to the brain - so the subject could learn kung fu matrix stylee!

That one didnt catch me out but previous ones have - I'll be a victim no more i say!!! :miffed:

10. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I don't think it's an April Fools joke.

I remember reading a few years back now in an issue of National Geographic or maybe Popular Science - not sure - about a company in Japan producing a TV 'remote' that detected different wave patterns so that paralyzed people could change channels / volume etc.

11. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Is it just me or does that look really similar to the headset Doc Brown has in Back to the Future (Pt. 1 I believe)? Hehe.

12. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

You know guys, this might be the end of the mouse in first person shooters. Thats gonna be weird, except for turning aound and stuff- get many monitors set up in a circle and youd be sorted.

Yeah, he does look like Doc!

13. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

one problem with this how long before microsoft hijack the technology so that they can beam advertising into your brain every 30 seconds

also can you imagine the windows auto update problems do you want to be walking around with windows brain patch hot fix number xxxx-xxxxx-xxx installed

14. kiljoi

And God forbid you lose your brain's cd-key. You'd have to get a new one every time.

15. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

The Matrix v0.01 beta any beta testers??

are we controlling the computers or are they controlling us???

think about it you get an error (saying the printer is out of paper)

what do you do? put paper in it right it controls you

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Chips implanted in peoples brains.

Full capacity of the brain.

Full control of body.

Immortality.

Telepathic communication.

End of computers.

End of wars.

End of governments.

Beginning of space travel.

As more technology is developed, we look at the future, unsure of whether we hope to die before those radical changes, or whether we want to live to see the world change.

17. vs9

vs9 What's a Dremel?

Lol.. *running around in CS*

oh i'ma kill you mofo! *sneeze* blah i got pwned

hahah
    or have like a sneeze impulse to be able to fire like the redeemer in UT

18. kiljoi

Does this mean we're just a few years away fromm over-clockable body parts?
    "Dude, look, I got my legs running at 78 terrahertz !!"

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Quote "kiljoi
    Does this mean we're just a few years away fromm over-clockable body parts?
    "Dude, look, I got my legs running at 78 terrahertz !!" "Quote

Id love to overclock my crotch. Imagnie 10gigaherz penis?

On a second thought that many reps would probly generate allot of heat so water cooling is a must to oc.

20. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

if it was going that fast you might want to consider sometime mutch colder than water i would imagine something nitrogen or something of that nature

i would be carefull also seeing it might fall of at 100mhz if even that

Tags: Add Tags