1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Brain Implants - It's all in the Mind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 28 Feb 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

This sort of stuff just blows me away sometimes... It's the sort of thing that only 5 or 6 years ago was science fiction, but is now science fact, thanks to developments in computer technology and medicine. Wired reports on the strides that are being made in the field:

Matthew Nagle is beating me at Pong. "O, baby," he mutters. The creases in his forehead deepen as he moves the onscreen paddle to block the ball. "C'mon - here you go," he says, sending a wicked angle shot ricocheting down the screen and past my defense. "Yes!" he says in triumph, his voice hoarse from the ventilator that helps him breathe. "Let's go again, dude."

The remarkable thing about Nagle is not that he plays skillfully; it's that he can play at all. Nagle is a C4 quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down in a stabbing three years ago. He pilots a motorized wheelchair by blowing into a sip-and-puff tube, his pale hands strapped to the armrests. He's playing Pong with his thoughts alone.

A bundle of wires as thick as a coaxial cable runs from a connector in Nagle's scalp to a refrigerator-sized cart of electronic gear. Inside his brain, a tiny array of microelectrodes picks up the cacophony of his neural activity; processors recognize the patterns associated with arm motions and translate them into signals that control the Pong paddle, draw with a cursor, operate a TV, and open email.

Nagle, 25, is the first patient in a controversial clinical trial that seeks to prove brain-computer interfaces can return function to people paralyzed by injury or disease. His BCI is the most sophisticated ever tested on a human being, the culmination of two decades of research in neural recording and decoding. A Foxborough, Massachusetts-based company called Cyberkinetics built the system, named BrainGate.

More here

2. Deimos_Anomaly

Deimos_Anomaly What's a Dremel?

Personaly I cant wait while a full scale computer in our brain poses to many security risks (immagine brain hacking), I for one would be be the first in line to get a calculator installed im my brain. It would iliminate the difficulties of math from our everyday work and let us focus on developing better technology. Hell throw in a spell checker and were all set.

I wonder how long before some of us try a ccfl window mod on our head :dremel:

Deimos Anomaly

3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Fascinating, as you said GOO, it's the kind of stuff we are used to seeing in Sci-Fi movies.

Very good read :baby:

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Thats simply amazing. :)

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

jusr read the more link that gos with this post and all i can say is WOW he learnt to control it in just 3 days this is amazing just surprised that we have'nt heard more about it in the news but thinking about it thats a good thing because no doubt some group out there will start protesting saying that its against god/allah/buddas will etc at least its been proven to work.

6. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Deimos_Anomaly that sounds like GITS type of stuf but this tech sound great can wait for the spell checker implant or the grammer checker one :D

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How long before Micromachines develops the ghost for the machine for someone's complete Cyberbrain?

/Ghost in the shell :blush: Read it, it's already been thought out.

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

**pulls cable from neck** I know kung-fu

9. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

so I guess then we'll be able to actually think lol and then hear a voicebox laughing out loud :D

-Fiz

10. Uber_K

Uber_K What's a Dremel?

Wow, that is truly amazing. I remember playing an old pen and paper game named Shadowrun a few years back, and I was always fascinated with the technology and the view of the future it provided... Cyber-warriors jacking into their computers and using various bio-computer upgrades to sharpen their minds, etc. It was an awesome game. This also reminds me of the Ghost in the Shell movies and series, where humans can replace parts of their bodies with cybernetic implants and upgrades as well... I'm so glad that I'm young enough to take advantage of this technology in the future.

11. planki

planki ...

i think this is where science should be concentrating along with fighting diseases etc, not cloning people.

12. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

it may not be activly fighting diseases. but that guy got his life back!!!! Imagine just living.. not being able to move I think its amasing what they've done just for him never mind the possibilities for others etc... not everyone can don a lab coat and take your 'fight cancer' donations

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

just to re-itterate, its not new, simple interfaces have been around for a long time now, heck even el Cpt. Cyborg has had some nueral stuff.

but this one is quite promissing, because it could last a while.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

brain hacking... Matrix anyone?

The scary thing is that the Matrix could happen...

15. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

How about a compass, a clock, accelerometers and mapping software - you would never get lost or miss an appointment ever again.

(It would suck a little for excuses with the girlfriend though - "I swear - I didn't know it was so late.....")

16. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Hey when it comes to computer hardware\software theres always an excuse, it crashed :D .

Death

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

let's just hope Microsoft doesnt decide to release windows ME 2 - the first brain os...

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It gets better; they are already working on artifical eyes and retinas (e.g. read here). They are black and white and very low res, but hey, it's a start.

For people who want to read a bit of SF on where it could all be heading, try "Hardwired" by Walter Jon Williams. The Matrix has nothing on it.

19. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

It would be cool if they could connect you with a more sophisticated chip model to a mech-like suit. RL Master Chiefs anyone?

20. Deimos_Anomaly

Deimos_Anomaly What's a Dremel?

Ghost in the shell/ Matrix were exactly what I was thinking when I first read this. hey DreamTheEndless you forgot GPS or maybe that new euro gps replacement. Oh and throw in some electronic test equipment DMM oscilloscope. and a voltage/ current variable power supply. Oh yeah and dont forget a cellular phone, maybe some form of wifi. Alright this is starting to sound like WAY to many scifi movies all rolled into one, and need I remind you that most of them ended badly. We can still dream though.

I know I'll be dreaming of endless modular cybernetic attachments tonight :yawn:

Deimos Anomaly

Tags: Add Tags