1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Bricked iPhone 3G after "Reset all setting/data" [Solved]

Discussion in 'Software' started by riggs, 19 May 2011.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ok, so I was planning on trading in my iPhone 3G towards an iPhone 4 and stupidly thought I'd delete all data through the settings menu option, rather than just restoring via iTunes. I've since found out that this is a bad idea if you're running a jailbroken phone.

It's a normal 8GB 3G which was was on the latest FW (4.3.2?) and after selecting the option, the phone reset, attempted to restore and now just sits there with a black screen and the Apple logo (which, after 10 minutes or so, flashes off for a few seconds, then comes back on with the same screen, stuck in what appears to be an endless loop).

I've tried getting the phone into DFU/recovery mode, but it doesn't work - first off, if I miss the start of the 'flash/restart' loop then the power/home buttons are completely unresponsive, I just can't get it to reset. If I hold the buttons while it goes through a loop cycle (ie, I'm holding power/home, then randomly it flashes, powers off and back on again) it'll recognise I'm holding the buttons after a few seconds, flash/restart again, then a few seconds later the phone turns off.

I've tried getting it into DFU/recovery by first powering off then trying, but again, it doesn't work.

Did this for ages last night until the battery eventually ran dry, at which point the 'please charge the phone' icon came up. It still recognises when the battery is charging though, so surely that's a good thing?

Anyone have any idea on how I can fix this? I've searched various forums/sites, but they just keep giving the same answer about putting the phone into recovery mode (which I just cannot do).

One other thing to note, and I'm not sure of the specifics here, but when I originally jailbroke the device (around FW 4ish) it was a strange JB method, by the fact that I had to resize (increase) the primary partition (where the FW goes). I'd never seen this method before, and have not seen it since (and for the life of me, can't remember what the software I used was, or which FW it was).
    I have since JB again on the latest FW, which was just the 'ordinary' method of using redsn0w/PwnageTool and have never ran into any problems (well, apart from the fact it's a 3G, which is slow as hell on v4 FW!)

I shouldn't have pressed that bloody 'delete all data' button! :duh:

Last edited: 20 May 2011
  2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

try:

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

That's one of the methods I tried, but it didn't work. Managed to power off the phone completely, held the hold button for a while, plugged in, but iTunes/computer didn't recognise it and it just sat there with the Apple logo again (was holding the home button for at least 30 seconds).

I'm starting to think that I've completely bricked it...

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Thanks for the link, but I probably should've mentioned I'm on OSX, so that software won't work for me. Although, there was in interesting suggestion about using redsn0w to boot into tethered mode. I'll give that a shot, although not being able to get into recovery mode might be a bit of a hinderance.

6. faugusztin

Don't tell me you have no friend with PC :).

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

I suppose I could try it tomorrow at work, but after re-reading that post it seems to be a solution for getting the phone out of a recovery mode loop (which I don't think mine is). Still, worth a shot though...

8. faugusztin

I think it's both for entering and leaving recovery mode.. As you can see, you have "Enter Recovery Mode" button here as well.

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Just tried it using my XP partition (totally forgot about bootcamp/XP on my MacBook!). Doesn't work.
    Got it all up and running, installed latest .NET & iTunes, copied required .dlls to the RecBoot folder and tried both options...nothing. Left it running on each option for a good 15 minutes but it didn't do anything. I don't even think the computer is picking up the phone at all...

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

try iREB, it helped me to get my custom firmware into iphone 4 by putting it in a deeper DFU mode. normal 10-second-home-button-DFU mode kept throwing up error for me.

from sound of it, definitely a software issue. shouldn't be bricked, just need to get into a state that is restore-able.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

Unfortunately, iREB is of no use either as it requires me to manually enter DFU mode, which I can't do.

As I said, all I've been able to do thus far is to turn the phone off using the power/home button combo and even then, it's down to flukey timing (I need to be holding both buttons before the phone ends and restarts it's Apple logo loop, it'll then start up again, switch off for 3 seconds, start up again then totally switch off after a few seconds).

12. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, got it working again, but I feel like a bit of a tool!

Looks like there was a slight hardware problem; the home button lost it's "click" ages ago, but I never really thought anything of it until earlier. Decided to open up the phone and place a small strip of wire over the home button PCB contacts. Also, wrapped a rubber band from bottom to top, over the power switch.
    Started a stopwatch on my laptop, just to see how long things took (if it worked). Took 30 seconds for the phone to initially reset and a further 30 seconds for the "Connect to iTunes" screen to appear (at which point I immediately ripped off the rubber band and wire-o-tape).

Just restored back to official firmware and everything seems to be fine again.

So there you go. You need to hold the power & home buttons for at least a minute to get into restore mode if you're stuck in an Apple loop.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Hopefully this thread will come in useful for anyone else in the same boat.

13. kallu

kallu What's a Dremel?

Thanks so much riggs.

I have been banging my head around this issue for a long time. After reading your post, I realized that the home button had stopped working sometime back. I need to get the home button fixed before I can put the phone in DFU mode.

14. fufu33

fufu33 What's a Dremel?

my iphone goes into dfu mode but it wont show the connect to itunes logo, i know my buttons work becasue i used them to put it into dfu mode. when i try to update it would show a black lit screen but no apple logo then it would just shut off. and it would be stuck on preparing iphone for restore and an error 1604. i tried everything but no solutions. any suggestions? might be fully bricked?:jawdrop:

15. jasonharden

jasonharden What's a Dremel?

Try to fix iPhone stuck on Apple logo in DFU Mode:
    1. connect the iPhone to the USB Cable and open iTunes
    2. turn off the iPhone
    3. press and hold Sleep/Power and Home button for 10 seconds
    4. release the Sleep/Power button but keep Home pressed
    5. iTunes should recognize an iPhone in recovery mode

Last edited: 22 Apr 2015
  16. LeaMichele

LeaMichele What's a Dremel?

I just want to why this method can solve the problem.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2016