1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Briefcase PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Out50Stang, 26 Nov 2002.

1. Out50Stang

Out50Stang What's a Dremel?

I just got a briefcase that is going to house a 900 Tbird on a Epox Board, with a mobile rack for my hard drive.

I will be posting more soon, hopefully by this weekend i will have started :)

here is what i am starting with

note: this case my appear to be marked/dented, but it's only the camera that picked it up like that because of the flash :eyebrow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pics will come when i start building

Last edited: 16 Dec 2002
  2. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Good luck. I've got this one going right now that I've seriously got to update and post some pics on. Hope everything turn out well. :D:D:D:D

3. Warper

Warper What's a Dremel?

Your gonna fit a PC inside there!!!???!!! :eyebrow:

Can't wait to see the updates! Good luck with it!

4. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

Methinks MiniITX, hdd and external PSU you may buy does the trick - no problem w/ that.

5. CellDamage

CellDamage What's a Dremel?

mashie had a similar project on his site :clap:

6. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

What a great idea, a mobile PC. You could put a TFT screen in the lid and a keyboard on the....oh, I think someones thought of that. :D

7. Out50Stang

i got my Apox 8K3A, (with KT333 chipset) it's a full size ATX board, i still need to pay for my HSF, and PSU, my chip should be coming in very soon....but for now i am going to be putting it inside the briefcase, i haven't decided if i am going to cut holes for the I/O ports yet, i got a piece of sheetmetal (from when i cut out my window in my other case) and Mobo studs i will be drilling holes for the studs, and mount the Mobo on this, then when i get my power supply i will make a ground strap and attach the PSU to the sheetmetal.... right now my current plans are to mount the mobo internally to keep the case looking normal, and somewhat water resistant.... i will have pics when i start :) stay tuned

8. 273BeLow

273BeLow What's a Dremel?

Will be nice to see how it turns out Alu briefcase PC's always seem to rock.

One comment I've always wondered are there no power adapters capable of supplying enough juice for a PC? I mean it is only 12v max inside.. and easy enough to step down for floppies and stuff..

Would mean you could do without a PSU and give you more space to play with.. perhaps it's worth looking into..

9. Out50Stang

i don't quite understand what you are trying to say

i am going to be putting a 350w ATX PSU inside the case, next to the mobo, and try to keep everything internal....

10. SileNceR

SileNceR What's a Dremel?

Because a 100w PC running at 12v draws 8.3A - most power adaptors are only 1.5-2A @12v, IF that.... to run a whole pc from 12v the adaptor would be the size of a rackmount psu, as hot as a fire, and as heavy as a brick - and even then you wouldnt have 5v, 13.5v etc and all the voltages needed for normal AT/ATX operation.... a 300w 1RU psu would be similar size, cooler, cooled, cheaper, output more power, and have all the voltages needed - they are fully ATX compatible...

hence there are no 10ish Amp 12v adaptors :D

11. Out50Stang

i am using what goes in a normal pc, a 350w PSU, it will be internal.....

the Mobo is mounted on the tray i made, and all i need to do is fasten it to the case, somehow without drilling holes for screws that would show...

12. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I'm using a smaller 180W PSU for mine. The reason being as the case is SMALL. It's only 3.75" tall inside if I remember correctly. I had to take the cover off of the PS and just mount the PSU and base to the inside of the case. The P4 2.4GHz with stock HSF just BARELY fits. Thank goodness the mobo has onboard 32MB video and I'm only going to use it for a game server. :D:D:D:D

13. Pablissimo

Pablissimo What's a Dremel?

I've just had delivered that exact flight case, but being a student I haven't got *any* tools to use to make a decent job of the IO ports etc, wonder how well alu reacts to a steak-knife? =))

14. 273BeLow

True but hey *looks at his laptop* tiny power adapter.. even the Alienware laptops with full P4's have normal laptop adapters.. it must be rather is possible I'm not claiming to know how just that it must be. If done it would mean you could fit a PC inside a much smaller case..

15. Out50Stang

laptops are built around power savings, so they probably need less power....

16. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

IIRC, lappies run on 7V.

17. 273BeLow

Not that I am saying you are wrong just looked at the supply for mine, "output: 19v 4.2A"

I'm actauly getting interested in the subject as when the AMD hammers come out I want to do a toolbox or variant PC for easy transport and of course.. to mod.

Obviously power consumption will be rather a lot so I'm wondering what the possibilities are here other than using a conventional PSU to save on space/weight.

18. Out50Stang

19. Out50Stang

Update

UPDATE:

Here I took my sheetmetal from when I cut a window in my case, drilled holes and put in the studs for the Motherboard, then I bent the left/right sides so it would stad up a little.....

[​IMG]

This shows how it sits in the case

[​IMG]

Now your probably wondering how I can fasten it to the case without drilling holes......So i pulled up the foam on the bottom, and put the tray underneath it to check for fitting first....

[​IMG]

After I got it positioned just where I wanted it I took the foam and layed it over the tray then took a hobby knife and slit little holes over the studs and popped them through. After that I took a hot glue gun and peeled back the foam and glued it down, i also glued around the edge to hlep hold it do, adn prevent it from peeling up...

[​IMG]

Here is the Motherboard installed, it's not going to move anywhere, as I can pick up the case by the Motherboard :)

[​IMG]

20. nsain

nsain What's a Dremel?

that is sweet, whered u acquire that briefcase, i would kinda like something like that for a computer i gots laying around meh room