1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother of Weapon

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by JackOfAll, 28 Jul 2009.

1. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

"Weapon" has a folding brother......

4x GTX295 watercooled with an Asus P6T7 motherboard and OC'd i7 920, watercooled. All water blocks in series. The Mora Pro radiator is standalone to the left of the case at the moment. (A couple of Koolance quick disconnect fittings in the tubes joining it to the case, so it's easy to unplug with minimal fluid loss. )

[​IMG]

The graphics cards are the new single pcb GTX295's and are fitted with EK water blocks.

[​IMG]

It's now folding for the team. So I should see my PPD jump up a little! ;)

Last edited: 28 Jul 2009
  2. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Nice :rock:
    Whats the full spec?

3. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

OMG..:jawdrop:

Surely this is the Daddy?

In all his mighty!

Absolutley awesome... :clap:

4. JackOfAll

Thanks.

Vince, full spec will have to wait until later. Still have some wiring to tidy and PSU configuration to finalize before I call it finished. And that probably won't happen until next weekend. But I'll create another album and document the spec, like I did for Weapon.

One thing that has become clear over the last couple of days - the single PCB GTX295 is not as overclockable as the original dual PCB GTX295. Whether that is due to the change to an analogue power supply on the card, don't know. But I'd recommend purchasing the original dual PCB GTX295's while they're still available if you want to overclock.

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Think you need a bigger case for that monster mate! :jawdrop:

Absolutely awesome work, shame the single PCB 295's aren't as overclockable though :(

Is it fired up now as folding away quite happily? What sort of temps you seeing?

Well done and much respect on the build Clive! :thumb:

6. JackOfAll

Yes, seriously considering another Mountain Mods case. The Lian Li PC-P80 that it's currently housed in is not exactly small, but it looks small in the pic.

Yes, it's folding. CPU is bumped to 3.8GHz @ 1.25V on a D0 920. 2x '-smp 4' clients. I'm not overclocking the 295's at the moment. Any sort of bump, (well, the sort of bump that is going to make a difference, ie. at least 50MHz) seems to result in random EUE's. At default speeds, it's 100% stable. No EUE's.

The GPU temps are 37 deg C idle, and 44-47 deg C while folding. With the gpu blocks in series. ie. water passes through CPU block and GPU blocks 1,2 & 3, before reaching GPU block 4, I expected the latter GPU blocks to get a little warmer, but it's only by about 2 deg C at block 4, so who cares. ;)

I'll have a fiddle with trying to OC these single PCB 295's again at the weekend.

7. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

I have heard things described as "eye-watering", but never quite got behind the term. Upon seeing those pictures, my eyes physically watered. That is a sight to behold, sir.

Well done :thumb:

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Good work mate, the single board 295's look good in there ;)

Look forward to running that sort of spec in my own farm within the next few months!

9. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. JackOfAll

Thanks for the positive comments.

I updated the specs today. Seems like the PSU switch-off problem I was having is resolved with the Enermax PSU, so looks like either I have a fault with the be quiet! or its protection circuits are on a hair trigger. Most likely, the later. Another 24 hours uptime without any issues and I'll call it solved, put the overclocks back into the mix and update the specs again. Also, took a bunch more pictures today having replaced the horrible white tubing and tidied up the wiring. Not had time to Photoshop, (actually Gimp), them yet. I'll get them cropped, sharpened and uploaded to the album later in the week.

11. red2red

red2red 2Red

Lovely job maybe one day I can be like you :D

12. Unicorn

Clive did you remove the topic regarding your RMA from those who shall remain nameless?

You've got me designing and pricing up insane spec folding rigs with this thread you know :sigh:

Why does a folding rig need to be powdercoated white and kandy red inside and out, with f@h logos waterjetted on the front and side panels? It doesn't! But I do love custom cases :blush:

13. Unicorn

Clive did you remove the topic regarding your RMA from those who shall remain nameless?

You've got me designing and pricing up insane spec folding rigs with this thread you know :sigh:

Why does a folding rig need to be powdercoated white and candy red inside and out, with f@h logos waterjetted on the front and side panels? It doesn't! But I do love custom cases :blush:

14. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

That is just lunacy, its absolutely amazing. Is it just purely dedicated to folding or do you use it for actual stuff?

15. Unicorn

That's a dedicated folding rig, you should see "Weapon", it's even bigger.

16. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Seriously how much do you people earn? I mean I know its a good cause that your donating your computing power to... but the electricity bills alone...

17. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Some people go fishing, some play, golf, tennis, horse riding etc etc, if its your hobby you spend as you so wish and i would guess some of those hobbies listed would cost a lot more... anyone else agree??

18. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Agreed!
    I think my Maestro card would too.
    BTW some bloody nice kit on this thread, Congrats JackOfAll.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  19. Unicorn

If you want an inexpensive hobby, don't take up any of mine :rolleyes: :hehe:

The amount of money you put into folding the more points you get out of your kit per day. What Clive is doing is building a couple or few large rigs instead of having several smaller ones like I currently do.

20. JackOfAll

Funny you should mention that. I'm a little bit peeved that someone (I assume a mod) decided to move that thread to General->Misc and label it a rant. ASRock x58 Supercomputer RMA. I suppose it could be considered off-topic, but I posted it in here, the folding forum, for reasons, not for the hell of it. a) I built a folding computer with that board, I posted that it failed and that I was going to RMA it. I'm continuing to post about my experiences with it. (I wouldn't have purchased that board if not for folding.) b) We've been discussing i7 rigs recently in the bigadv thread, people have been buying i7 boards and this "bent pin" malarky concerns me, and should concern you guys buying expensive i7 boards just for folding the bigadv. c) I can't speak for all the inhabitants here in the folding forum, but some of us don't tend to wander much, I don't anyway. Oh well, if it's deemed to be an off-topic rant, so be it. At least it wasn't deleted. ;)

My new mantra - don't do it. It doesn't make sense! :D

Yes, me too. Unfortunately, I have two left hands and am positively dangerous with power tools, so I'm more of a bolt-it-together builder than a modder. I remember seeing a beautiful candy red and white TJ07, probably in the mag but my memory is a little hazy.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2009