1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Brown noise, a load of ****?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Murdoc, 6 Jan 2005.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Should say 11.

'doc

2. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Holy **** batman, :hehe: well eny who if normal speakers cant here brown noise then how could that mp3 work, I didnt have to crap but I felt something :worried:. Also I think someone should try the other noises(?) like white noise, what are the others?

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

anythime i hear about speakers going to eleven i think of that movie "We are Spnal Tap" or something

Band Member: you see, normal speakers go up to ten, these go to eleven.
    Some Guy: why don't you just make that ten?
    Band Member: these go to eleven, they are louder.
    Some Guy: no, why don't you make eleven ten, so they're the same volume?
    Band Member: but these go to eleven
    Some Guy: ...

then the part "our F***in' stonehenge was in danger of being crushed by a f***in midget!"

4. I'm_Not_A_Monster

if the brown noise makes you crap yourself, what would the white noise be? :naughty:

*white noise is static, leave it on long enough and you won't notice it, but since you are ignoring a certain loudness of noise, everything sounds quieter

5. kobaj

kobaj Banned

Um note the movie "white noise". It is soposedly were you can hear spirits, but some say it is the wind some say it sounds like waves other hear other things infact I havnt ever realy heard true white noise(Tv white noise isnt the true thing.). And what was this pink noise, seeing how high you can here, is there like an mp3 like for that brown noise mp3 thingy.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2005
  6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

hmm that mp3 didnt do alot, just shook the room a bit, and annoyed my neighbors no doubt

ill have to try it on a beasty dynaudio sub and a definitive technology supercube reference next time i go home to see the folks :D

7. I'm_Not_A_Monster

white noise is an urban legend saying you can hear the voices of dead people sometimes if you leave a tape recorder on dictate at night (dictate records any noise it hears, but it doesn't turn if there is no noise. you can get two hours of talking on a tape instead of ten minutes total of intermittent talking)

i think pink noise is a frequency that only some people can hear, about 20kHz. it's not fun.

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

is the noise a physical effect? (i can feel heavy bass on my chest at concerts)

or is it a hearing thing? (i want to burn this on a CD and have a friend listen to it in class :hehe: )

also it could be a cure for constipation...

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

http://www.firstpr.com.au/dsp/pink-noise/#Introduction

I was brought up to believe pink noise was all in the audio band, white noise covered sub- and super-sonic as well, but he says not. :confused:

10. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm no audiologist or anything. i was just typing what i thought.

11. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

White noise has the same signal level at all frequencies where as pink noise has a defined roll off. IIRC the roll off for pink noise is -3dB fer octave , with the lower frequencies being the highest signal level. AFAIK pink noise is exclusivly used to test audio devices like loud speaker frequency response and the roll off is to compensate for human hearing, i.e. we can hear high frequencies at a much lower level than low frequencies. I would assume that white noise would be used to test things like antenna and tuner response. Neither has a set frequency range... just a definition of what one frequency level is compared to another.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I meant the bloke at the link. He disagrees with both of us. :D

Though I was nearer... :p

13. I'm_Not_A_Monster

teachers pet, teachers pet!

I'm gonna beat you up at recess :miffed:

14. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

EVERYONE!
    Feb 16th Mythbusters has an episode on brown noise be sure to watch it.

15. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Oh, right on! Being an audio nerd, I've always wondered about this. Plus, I love Mythbusters, so I'm definitely watching this one!!! Thanks for the heads-up!

16. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

What he said!! :thumb:

17. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Hate to resurrect this thread, :blush: but I watched the Mythbusters episode, and myth busted! Adam, wearing Depends (Adult diapers) was surrounded by 5 huge banks of speakers and blasted with up to 143db of tone from 6 Hz to about 20 Hz. Nothing happened. It was interesting that the people around him all felt a bit agitated, but no one was running for the bathroom.

When the speakers were pumping out 6 HZ you could hear the speakers extending, but of course, not he tone. When he spoke, his voice would vibrate at the same frequency. But again myth busted for sure.

18. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Crap!! I missed it.

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

theres a UK program called Brainiac: Science Abuse on Sky TV, i watched that and they claimed they transmitted some brown noise with the program, and i went for a heffa of a dump when they said they were doing it, might have just been a placebo though...but i think it does exsist.

20. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Interesting choice of words. :D