1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSODs on startup.. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by EPiRATE, 8 Sep 2008.

1. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

OK so here's my system:
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=411399

I have a power colour hd 4870 and i've flashed it with the asus 4870 bios (for cooler temps). Now however I have frequent BSOD's on startup and I find them very annoying. (My pc will just restart and boot normally after the bsod). During the bsod i see something to do with "atikmdag.sys"
    Vista (x64) says this on startup:
    [​IMG]

I have tried uninstalling/installing all the drivers i can think of. I've installed the default ati drivers for the 4870, i've installed the hotfix for vista x64 and i've tried the asus drivers. With all of them i get the same bsod. Any ideas???

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

flash it back to the power color bios?

what drivers are you putting on? the ones from asus or power color? if its an asus bios then I would try the asus drivers. if that doesn't work then either a complete system reinstall (that was a joke) or flash it back.

3. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Firstly try, as mentioned above, flashing back to the original BIOS.

Also, have you overclocked the card in any way, I have found that I get the atikmdag error (in windows / while playing games) when ever the card is OCed (not due to temps, they havn't gone above 57 degrees since I got my Duorb)

4. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

I've tried putting it back to stock clocks and i've tried asus drivers.
    I don't have the powercolor bios so i can't flash back :\
    Plus i wouldn't really want to because there's a 20 degrees temp difference

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

When you removed the old drivers, what did you use to remove them? I would suggest that you make sure that all traces of the old drivers are removed prior to installing the new ones.

I dont know what difference there is between the two brands but it seams that powercolor has something different and the asus bios just isn't designed to run it properly. If you cant find a way to flash it back then the only real option is to rma it and hope they dont check to see if the bios was changed. I really dont think that the warrenty will cover that.

Tags: