1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT boosts broadband packages

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Feb 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

BT have announced that they are set to increase the speed of their broadband services for most customers - a move that mirrors what NTL and Telewest are already embarking on with their cable services.

Many BT customers will now have download speeds of 2Mbps, although there are usage allowances of between one gigabyte and 30 gigabytes a month.

The new speeds start to come into effect on 17 February for home customers and 1 April for businesses.

"Britain is now broadband Britain," said Duncan Ingram, BT's managing director, broadband and internet services.

He added: "Ninety percent of our customers will see real increases in speed.

He then went on to talk about upload speeds, something that I would certainly like to see being increased...

"These speed increases will give people the opportunity to do a lot more with their broadband connections," he said.

Upload speeds - the speed at which information is sent from a PC via broadband - will remain at the same speed, said Mr Ingram.

Despite the increases, BT will continue to have usage allowances for home customers.

"The allowances are extremely generous," said Mr Ingram

"For what we are seeing in the market place - they are really not an issue."

BT will begin enforcing the allowances in the summer. Customers who exceed the amounts will either be able to pay for a bigger allowance or see their download speeds reduced.

More here.

I'm happy with my broadband line that has unlimited usage, and I can hope that there will be a speed increase up to 4MBPS in my area soon. However, I'd really like to see an increase in upload speeds too, as I do a lot of ftping, which proves to be the achilles heel of my connection.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be honest, i recon you should get a "total bandwidth" then get to set it to how you want.

Ie: say you pay for 4Mbit of bandwidth, you could then set it to 2M up and 2M down or 3.5Meg up and 512k down or whatever suits you. At the end of the day it's still the same data going down the line to BT.

3. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately ADSL is limited to 256k up :(

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Isn't it a bit foolish of BT to go speed limiting the uploads so low - if they opened the throttle a bit people would be more inclined to do big uploads and thus use more bandwidth, pushing them into the higher tariff packages to get larger monthly caps.

End of the day, it doesn't really make any difference to BT what speed they offer the end user. The bottleneck is in the exchange - BT link in highly populous areas, we're talking contention ratios here. Given the size of BT's subscriber base they can assume a fairly predictable distribution of network load that won't particularly be affected by individual users. Total bandwidth used is far more of an issue to them than available connection speed, so to my mind the best solution seems to be a series of tariffs, all at the same (fast) upload download speed (say 2 mb/s each way) with varying usage limits, charging a premium of, say £1/GB for exceeding your limit.

The reason BT keep their uploads throttled so low is so they can justify the significant premium they charge for SDSL.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Surely it's dependent on the split of the line? If they can increase the frequency of the down they must be able to increase the freq of the up. Or if it's to do with the total bandwidth problem like i said, then they should allow you to specifiy what you want. Unless the ADSL equipment is only deisgned to allow 256k up, which is the most stupid design ive ever heard.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wow... I feel a lot better about my overpriced cable... 3Mbit down 256k up with no total transfer restrictions (I once downloaded about 6 different linux distros over about two days just to find out with plenty of other stuff that month)

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I didn't see a mention of BT's wholesale packages receiving a hike in speed, only their retail BT and BT Yahoo Broadband accounts.

I wonder if we'll see all isp's up their speeds to fall in line with BT's?

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I think the nature of ADSL is such that the upload and download work in different ways and there isn't the capacity for bigger uploads in the long term. Asynchronous DSL.

The main reason I am switching from NTL to ADSL is because of the awful 128K upload I get at the moment. Sending files over MSN takes for ever.

9. mclean007

I'm quite sure the ADSL equipment isn't design limited to 256k up - after all, you can get 2 ADSL packages using identical equipment, one with 256k down/64k up and one with 4meg each way, so it's definitely throttled at the exchange end.

As I said, the reason BT keep the upstream bandwidth so low is nothing to do with technical constraints; it is so that they can maintain the price premium the charge businesses for SDSL. From bt's site:

SDSL - £350 setup plus
    500 k/s each way - £170/mo
    1m/s each way - £230/mo
    2m/s each way - £345/mo
    contention ratio 10:1
    static IP

Business ADSL
    500 k/s up; 256? down - £45/mo
    1 m/s up; 256? down - £65/mo
    contention ratio - I'm guessing 20:1??
    no static IP but you can add one for £10/mo

So the price disparity is pretty huge and you can understand why BT isn't champing at the bit to give everyone fast uploads, thereby mincing their cash cow. (I like that metaphor)

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

theres no limit to what ratio the download:upload has to be, just 256 up is the standard
    bulldog's LLU services all have 400k up iirc

"Broadband britain"? lol
    if you're in an area of sweden with fibre you can now get gigabit down 100mbit up for ~ €80 i think it was
    or 100mbit line for €50ish
    takes the piss :(

11. Uber_K

Uber_K What's a Dremel?

<admin>
    Everyone needs to go out and research the cost of running an ISP. Cisco networking equipment, the universal standard for quality, costs quite a bit. Tens of thousands of dollars go into merely purchasing the local equipment, be it routers, switches, VPN boxes, etc, and then even more goes into hiring an admin (me) who comes in to design, implement, and upkeep the network. A qualified admin with a minimum of Net+, CCNA, CCNP, and MCSE will have a starting pay of about $80,000/yr. Not cheap. Yes, ISP's do charge a lot for small increases in service, but they have a lot to pay off.
    </admin>

<consumer>
    As a consumer, I would love to see my ISP drop it's rate. Of course, I have a 4 Meg down / 1 meg up with unlimited monthly bandwidth, but it's worth every penny.
    </consumer>

12. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Well its BT wholesle who decide the split - but ADSL can't exceed a certain figure in the up direction (Hence Bulldog max at 400K), SDSL isn't just a case of BT flicking a switch its different hardware - no voice & much more strict distance limits..

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

and i bet you pay way less than we do for 2048/256 or even 1024/256....

14. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 What's a Dremel?

i use fast24 and its a 2mb service for £37 a month which aint bad tbh. i dont have a cap which is what i like.

in a typical month i download 100gb and upload 80gb. there customer service aint the best but the speed is brill and the no cap rox as i said. but i have to agree with the majority here. we need faster upload speeds. try having a shoutcast radio on 256 upload :p 4 peeps tops lol.

Neon

15. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

For some reason Comcast has seen fit to upgrade my account to 4mbps down and 356(or around there)kbps up :D

The upload is still very restrictive, but there's nothing like the feeling of downloading two seperate isos from two seperate servers at 2.1mbps each :D

16. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I'll look forward to upload speeds being increased, 2mb is fine for me down, if only sdsl was in the area :(

17. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I personally can't wait till my 12 month DSL contract is up since I can get synchronous 1MB wireless internet here in Edinburgh from Accelerate. I'm a bit wary about the wireless aspect of it but being able to run a server with upload at a rate faster than most of my friends have for download will be good.

18. mclean007

That may be, but it misses the point, which is that if BT upped the upload speed on ADSL it would eat into the market held by the more expensive SDSL service.
    Don't be wary, I've got a mate who has that service and he can't stop raving about it. He was concerned about reliability and latency, but neither has posed a problem and he now spends many happy evenings blasting away at Halo2 on XB Live. Living the dream :rock:

19. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Sounds great, I hadn't heard from anyone who used it before so this is real good news.

20. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Zen now do 2mbit as a proper service not a trial :D

And theres no bandwidth caps and monthly contract.

The sucky thing at the moment is most isps are at the mercy of bt wholesale for everything.

More and more companies are doing llu them selves which should see better servies and speeds :D

Tags: Add Tags