1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BT Broadband

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greentrident, 16 Oct 2019.

1. Greentrident

Greentrident Active Member

. Which is what I'm hoping the announcement meant - but there's no real information about it afaik!

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Virgin Media use 10GB as a standard to the cabinets etc these days. The UBR in the cabinet will have multiple uplinks back also.

I think the official contention ratio they quote is 1:12 if they still quote one.

ADSL used to be 1:50 residential and 1:20 business for comparison.

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Active Member

So no further information forthcoming for any sort of superfast rollout in my area. Connecting Devon and Somerset have gone from "Q2 2019" to "Unfortunately, at the moment there are no private plans to connect your property to superfast broadband, and our funding won't stretch to fill the gap just yet, but we're working on it. We're pursuing other funding options and solutions to support homes and businesses which cannot yet access superfast broadband." Also BT are in no way forthcoming on how they intend to service the USO in my area or their own plans to get rid of copper!

So I'm in a quandary right now as to whether it's worth upgrading my 4g router to see if I can improve on the current one or should I wait and see if BT or CDS come up with anything any longer! I wonder if BT might shift us onto 4g in the near future which might make upgrading my router a bit redundant. Has anyone seen I haven't about BTs plans or can anyone suggest whether changing routers is likely to make a difference anyway?