1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT hits copper high in G.FAST broadband trials

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Sep 2014.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Lunatic on the Grass.

I live in Rural Somerset, s few miles west of Taunton. Got connected to BT Infinity in March. when first connected the engineer showed us we were getting 33Mbps and, as usual, assured us it would get faster as the connection settled down. So I was happy I had chosen Infinty 2. However, since then the connection has steadily got slower, we are now down to 24.4Mbps, I am wondering how much further it will go and regretting the 18 month contract tie-in. Sometimes I wish it would pack-up altogether, then BT would have to fix it.

I wonder if we will get proper high speed broadband, before I am too old to care?

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger New Member

With a 5 mile long and 3 mile wide island, you blokes should figure it out, or call the Germans to do it for you.

3. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws New Member

Canada... 100MB/s+ Download rate, about 10 upload... and on the cheap... I feel bad for you guys, our infrastructure rocks, our igloos are well equipped

4. exceededgoku

exceededgoku New Member

I have 1-2mbps on my home connection, I'm using a 3G router with a three sim card to supply internet at a slightly more respectable 10mbps.

Still I can't play games against anyone...

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Member

On the router tip, I recently had to replace my router when I moved providers but the decent (gigabit WAN-equipped) ones I looked at came without a modem. Searching for a modem showed me only about half a dozen models, tops and I couldn't see any decent reviews.

Does no-one use standalone units any more?

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

No goverment has had a long term plan for broadband, the current goverment is only paying to speed up the deployment of Openreach's FTTC/P from 66% to 95% by 2017.

The final 5% will get a bit more funding but the cheapest option to both private and public sector funding is to upgrade the legacy copper network.

Vectoring/FTTdpG.Fast will all extend the life of the copper network, the main issue is which are viable to be deployed nationwide.

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger New Member

This is actually a reason I would not consider living in the UK, as much as I love the island and its people.
    The only place I saw acceptable internet was The City, and a few places in and around London.