1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BT Infinity and beyond....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stanley Tweedle, 1 May 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I'm moving from o2 broadband to Infinity 1 (36mb) next week.

The connection is optical isn't it.

I've seen a few people complaining on forums about the router so I'm wondering if any of you have it and your experience of the infinity?

2 of my friends have it and they both seem to like it overall.

One ditched virgin and says the BT Infinity is so much better for his gaming and downloads....

I also read that a few people are using non-BT modem on their infinity but from what I can tell these modems would be expensive to buy...

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no its FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet - the last mile is still copper

im on Sky fibre - I get 40/10 (40Mbit down/10Mbit up) rock solid since day1

you get 2 items - the BT open reach fibre modem and your usual router (I got the mac mini alike latest sky router)

no traffic management or caps or anything on mine ; pointless really since I could g passed a 2GB cap in about 5 mins downloading (or heck even streaming HD from lovefilm!)

we all love it - wife watches lovefilm , kids on internet and xbox , no slow down or lagging - and downloading is lightning quick....my youngest son downloaded all of world of warcraft in 40 minutes (19GB I think)

3. bsp

bsp Minimodder

The BT home hub is terrible. I let the line train etc then after a few weeks I plugged in a 3rd party router and the connection is much more stable now :)

I still use the BT modem though. A small inconvenience that I need 2 plug sockets - but takes me back to the early days of cable :)

4. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

We've got BT infinity, it's absolutely brilliant. We live in a rural village, so under ADSL2 I was lucky to get anything above 2Mbit down and some insanely small number up!

We now get a reliable 35/7 (we're on the 40/10 package) and they're are rumors of our neck of the woods getting upgraded soon!

The complaint you'll have heard about is the with HomeHub 3. They're a bit naff, but they're functional, and if you do feel like upgrading in the future it wouldn't have to be anything complicated just a router with a WLAN port. As Harlequin said, the fibre modem does all the hard work!

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm with PlusNet 72Mbps unlimited fibre, also switched from O2. It's super super fast.

You will get a modem and a router. If you find the router sucks, you can always buy your own router, just get the cable version, NOT the ADSL version and you are good to go. Probably need to set up PPPoE on the router, but all routers should support that.

why is lara croft a tag for this thread?

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I HATE all you guys. Especially you Wuyanxu. 72Mbps....... thats just uncalled for. If anyone wants to swap interweb connections then I may change my mind.

7. Stanley Tweedle

Ok, thanks for infos... I have been using my own Teepee Link router with o2 for ages. It has wifi but connected via LAN to my PC.

The customer service woman I spoke to on phone at BT told me I'd get close to 40mbit down and 10mbit up like Harlequin ^^^^

8. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Infinity 2 is £3 more a month than Infinity 1 but you save on the £30 activation fee. Why not go for that and double the up and down speeds? It's £24 difference over the 18 month contract. Actually, including the 3 month discount it's a £27 difference. Still very much worth it.
    I'm off to run a speedtest and feel good about myself :)

9. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

most I can get from anyone other than VM is 11Mb lol

Good job I am with VM isn't it lol upload is a bit slow but suits me

[​IMG]

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well if it's any consolation, I'm currently limited by Homeplug adaptors, at 47Mbps down and 15Mbps up.

:p

11. Stanley Tweedle

It ain't too late for me to change option.

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Did a check on my number 41.1mb down - 6.5mb up so they are getting into the rural areas.

Presume the checker thing is accurate? Currently on 2mb broadband, lol.

Really don't download much so have to think about it... on here most of the time. :)

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have Infinity 2 and love it. Totally unlimited with no throttling, and rock solid.

My connection syncs at 78/16, which is the highest it can go, with pings on UK gaming servers usually below 10ms.

Remarkably, I'm still using the HomeHub3. It does the job - the older HomeHubs were terrible, but the current one is pretty alright with decent network tools.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm not, teehee.

Plusnet 80/20 Cheesecake baby. :rock:

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I can't tell you how much I hate BT. If I never had to talk to them again it would still be too soon.

16. Stanley Tweedle

Nice ping! I have been 30+ on o2 until a recent fault affecting various customers... ping shot up as high as 974 and download rate would drop to 2 or 3mb.

Fixed now but that was when I decided to leave.

Who you with then?

What problems u have with BT?

17. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've had Infinity for a fair while now (9 months) and have been using the original Home Hub 3 & modem that they supplied when I signed up. I haven't had a single issue with it so far, it's a little limited in features and network control but it functions and hasn't ever gone down.

No issues connecting through PC, 360, PS3, DS or mobiles.
    Our Wii had a slight moan trying to connect initially but after hitting connect 6/7 times in a row it eventually played nice... I think that was more a problem on our console though.

You'll want to stand around and keep an eye on the Openreach engineer as they change the socket (if needed) and sets up the hardware, as they can be a little dumb when it comes to positioning the boxes and wiring.

My speed sits around 72 download and 19 upload and my ping is roughly 25-30 on average.

I love BT, their staff at our local centre are so easy to manipulate. :)

18. Stanley Tweedle

:)

Currently my BT master socket is in the attic. This is convenient since my computer room is below it and I run a cable from corner of computer room up to attic master socket. Router is beside computer. I don't want this BT infinity stuff downstairs cos I dunt wan to depend on wifi.

19. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

That's lucky cos I don't think you'll have a choice of moving the master socket.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My main problem with BT is that they pass you from department to department. I've had calls go from business to consumer, back to business, back to consumer to hung up. To we don't support that router so we can't help you with your other problems (despite the router being fine and not part of the issue)

Lastly, they were supposedly doing all this Fiber around. Turns out what they do is just arbitrarily assign a date that the work will be done without there being any actual knowledge about when they are able to carry out the work. 2 years in Bournemouth they have been moving back the data for FTTC in my area a Quarter at a time. Anyway, it turns out that they literally do do that. Just assign a date and hope someone notices. They actually, literally, don't have the work scheduled in any way shape or form. It's all just to keep you happy knowing it might happen in 3 months time. A bit like Air France when they go on strike. They don't tell you how long that strike is, they just keep throwing the expected boarding times forward by half an hour and watch everyone queue up all smug about the fact that if you make a complaint with even the slightest hint of increased decibels, they'll ground you and ruin you holiday so they can waste more money on their failing air shuttle service or whatever the trifle they want to call it.

Probably time to go home. Sorry my cat died. I'm easily irritable.