1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT to upgrade to 8Mbit ADSL nationwide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 6 Mar 2006.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Current Downstream Rate: 2272 Kbps
    Attenuation: 29 db
    SNR: 31 db

Predicted: 7.7 - 8.0 Mbps

And plusnet have said I will be in the first batch of upgrades :)

2. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Bitchin' 220m from exchange - high hopes :)

Problem is my isp wont be getting ADSL Max I dont think - need to find a decent isp without limits... or atleast reasonable caps...

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Downstream 2272Kbps
    Attenuation 21db
    SNR 28db

Hmm.. not sure, is there a graph or something that kinda predicts what you may end up with?

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php

Was on the last page :p

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

where are you all getting these DB readings from?
    Attenuation & SNR ?

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Our routers status page I'd guess... well thats where mine are from anyway.

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

This is a joke as all the services are restrictively capped with huge costs for going over your caps. BT have once again screwed us over by screwing over the ISPs with huge rental costs on lines :sigh:

It will get to the stage where any innovation on the internet is going to be completely stifled by anti-competitive business practices. What is the point of downloadable films if you have to pay hundreds of pounds in bandwidth costs to download them?

Boycott the internet! Cancel your subscriptions, put your routers/modems in storage, and destroy their bottom lines :)

8. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

ours is to about 4 houses i think :lol:

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Ta for the link, Atomic :) I'll learn to read one of these days.

Blimey, 6.9-7.7 it reckons. That's from the readings on a Zyxel 660HW-61.

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

oki after some google'n I found the page that gives the reading, bit hard to find on my belkin router mind :eek:
    5.3 - 6 meg :blah: *shakes fist*

Edit - moved the router to the master socket in my house and it goes upto 5.4 - 6.3meg.
    So if anyone realy realy needs that extra boost, itmight be worth moving it there too.
    also the more stuff thats on your phone line (phones) seems to make it faster as well :confused:

Edit 2Tell a lie, since doing this im getting
    22.5 db Noise Margin
    45 db Attenuation
    giving 5.5 - 6.3meg (on my bedroom socket) :D

Last edited: 29 Mar 2006
  11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

12. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

Looks like they are updating all the details... I wouldn't be supprised if it all goes tits up tho. Bit of a shame.

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

So I think some might not get the full speeds just yet.

It might not be until later today, and it's down to the ISPs too, I know that my ISP (Wanadoo) has been fully regraded, and according to BT I can get between 6-8mbps, hopefully I'll be getting these speeds very soon :p

14. quack

quack Minimodder

ADSL Max status: Enabled (Green)
    ADSL Max enable date: 31 Mar 2006

Mine was enabled about 2 weeks ago.

15. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

My ISP (Nildram) says I can now upgrade to 5.5Mbps :D Just checked on that samknows thing and it says my line should "support a 5.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max". I am quite far from the exchange so that sounds about right though. And the extra upload will probably be more used and that seems to go up to 448Kbps whatever the distance as far as I can tell.

16. cloister

cloister What's a Dremel?

Are you sure about that because My exchange shows the same as yourd on that page but if I check here

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php?formsentpc=1&telephone=01432265817&postcode=hr4+9yh

it's enabled according to that and using the BT checker it says 6.5 mbps or higher,

Though I think it will be higher than that as I am quite close to the exchange so I would expect the full 8mbps, also due to my Attenuation etc I think it should be higher.

17. cloister

cloister What's a Dremel?

Plus my parents live next door to the exchange I mean right next door just a couple of Meters away and the checker says 6.5 to 8 for them so if the checker says 6.5 you might actually still get the full 8Mbps.

18. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

I've just been having a look around to see what speed I should get (other than relying on the 5.5Mbps my ISP says) and found this site

Does anyone know anything about that bit at the bottom?...

"One warning. The Max products are intended to give the fastest posssible line speeds, and to this end an error correction technique called Interleaving may be switched on for an individuals line. Interleaving improves the error correction, and may give you more download speed but at the expense of 20 to 40ms of latency, ie. no good for gamers. BT Wholesale is exposing the ability to the service providers to turn off this feature for an individuals line, so if you are a gamer you may have to sacrifice perhaps 10% of your line speed to get a lower latency. Most ADSL modems will report whether they are using FAST mode (the current connection method) or Interleave mode, so you can tell if your latency suddenly jumps, whether it is the line or possible the service provider re-routing your data."

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I only recently managed to upgrade from 1 meg to 2 meg (after months of trying to actually log into my user CP in the Wanadoo website) so it'll proberbly be the same issue trying to upgrade to 6 or 8 meg :( other than that I've had flawless connection for the last two years.

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i'm still on 2mbit... err wuts goin on

Tags: Add Tags