1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Buiding a PC to power a professional projector.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Isotopian, 31 Jan 2008.

1. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, I have a rather interesting situation that I think you guys could help me with. I'm a projectionist at a theatre in Maryland, and I'm purpose building a computer for the express purpose of taking A/V inputs and displaying them. The reason for this is we have an old Christie digital projector (one of these puppies) that is outdated, and we can't use it for any actual movies anymore. So it's a quarter million dollar projector doing nothing, which my boss would like to rectify. So I have the green light to try and get it running again, since it has *gasp* a DVI input on it.

We've tried hooking up just a DVI source, to no effect. After checking the documentation, I found out that the DVI input on it is actually compatible only with the Flat Panel Display (FPD) standard, which was only produced on one video card that I could find: the ATI LT Pro agp, which I managed to get my hands on, and even picked up a ridiculously hard to find FPD-F to DVI-M adapter.

So I finally solved my hardware problem, which now actually leads to the next part, which is even harder, because I know nothing about it. I have to build a rig, preferably at as low as possible cost, to receive as many inputs as practical (composite at minimum, preferably up to component), and display them full screen on the video output. So I suppose the real question is, is there dedicated capture hardware and software for this purpose? I have full faith in you guys!