1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build Dilemma, upgrade or new(ish).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrdanie, 1 Jan 2017.

1. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

So my girlfriend is looking to buy me a new graphics card, she said she would get me the GTX 1080 which is great, but I said to her the 1070 is most likely more than enough as my current res is 1080p and I won't be upgrading the monitor or going into VR just yet. I saw a 1070 for about £400 so she said she will then give me another £200 if I want to get some other parts too.

My system at the moment:
    2500k at 4Ghz with standard cooler.
    16GB DDR3 1600
    R9 280 (non x)
    Full ATX gigabyte board.

Now I have had this setup for a while, 5years approx, with the R9 280 bought 2years ago I think, maybe 3 not sure, and another 8GB matching Ram bought last christmas. My case need replacing as the front is falling off and I had to make the reset switch the power button, plus I want to go for an Matx build. So the choices I have are:

1. I just swap the Graphics card for a 1070 (1080 worth it?) and leave everything as is, keeping case etc and perhaps wait to upgrade the rest.

2. Keep what I've got and get a new Matx case (I'm looking at the Air 240), and get an Matx z chip motherboard I can overclock with then just move the stuff into the new case. However it's really hard to get a good Matx motherboard even used for this socket.

3. Get the case and motherboard bundle, thinking of a 6600k plus h100 cooler as I've seen a few builds using this AIO, 16GB ddr4. Though I'm looking at around 5-600 for this, plus g-card around 400, getting pricey.

I'm just not sure if its worth holding on to what I've got for longer and only upping the Gcard, or give in and upgrade the rest too. I'll be keeping the PSU and hard drives for now anyway as I can't afford to upgrade those yet too.

suggestions appreciated :)

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

If it doesn't work out with you two. Tell her i said hi. And i wanna go SLI.

I think you should just grab a new card now. See how the market lies soon when AMD drop their new line of CPU's.

3. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

ha okay :p, well I guess a new card will keep me going for now.

4. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

Okay I got the 1070 (ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING) but damn its a big card at 300mm, doesn't fit in my current case (Antec 300), and won't fit (I think) in the Air 240 I was looking at getting. Need to get a mid tower case that will take the card and want the smallest case possible, or if I can get a Matx case that will take it :/

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Fractal Define Mini (there are a couple different versions of it available), Phanteks Evolv (Matx version), Corsair Obsidian 350D would be some affordable Matx cases that spring to mind that would fit a huge card.

6. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Good suggestions above. I like the 350D myself.
    Also congrats on the new GPU. You made the right choice with the current cpu market.
    I'm still on a i5 3570k and don't see anything that makes me want to upgrade it yet.

7. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

Cool thanks for the suggestions :)

I couldn't justify a whole new motherboard bundle yet, going to wait until the next release of CPU's before I swap the 2500k out, just got a better CPU fan so I can get some more Hz out of it.

Reading GPU reviews the 1070 is more than enough for me as you don't get a huge difference or really notice until higher gaming res, plus saves my gf £150. I will be at 1080p for the next 3-6 months at the least then will probably look to move up to 1440.