1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build for family

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T2I3M, 8 May 2012.

1. T2I3M

T2I3M Member

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some help. I am looking at a cheap build for my family, I already have OS, HDD, Screen, Keyboard, Mouse and CD drive. I havent really got a budget at the moment. But the cheaper the better. It will be mainly used for browsing the internet and checking emails.

I am thinking

i3 2100
    Corsair Builder Series 430W
    4GB Vengeance RAM

Dont know about the mobo or case though. Getting some input on these two items would be great! The case will depend on the mobo size, whether it be m-atx or atx.

Thanks!

2. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

3. T2I3M

T2I3M Member

Hi Sam, thanks for your reply. But they are both abit on the expensive side.

I was thinking of about 70£ for the mobo and about 40£ for the case. Something like the Fractal Design Core 1000, is what I have found after looking around abit. But this does limit me to a m-atx.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Is there a reason for the i3 over any of the amd range. A lot of people here slate them, but they are generally cheaper than the intel equivalent. In terms of raw performance they do a bit worse, but bang for buck is pretty good especially in the earlier models. I've built amd for me, my brother and my dad. My grandparents also have an amd. I have used mine for gaming, my brother uses his for general family pc & light gaming, my dad uses it for htpc, the grandparents use email Web etc.
    It would allow you to spend a bit more on board/case and allow options to upgrade in future.

If you want I can look at some options tomorrow?

5. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

6. T2I3M

T2I3M Member

Sam - thats more towards my price!! I like the look of these, I had excluded the Z series boards as i thought theyd be too expensive. But these could be ideal.

dancingbear - I am okay with AMD. Im running a 955 myself. But for a decent APU, we are talking more money than the i3 and I dont really want to go below a 955/965. But these are also more than the i3. If you can convince me otherwise, go for it!! :D

I really appreciate both of your inputs.

7. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

8. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

although the setup is just a "family" setup the intel board has more room for future upgrades than the amd board in my opinion. also mikeyman198 even though the amd setup has a better igpu he wasnt looking for a gaming pc so to be honest it doesnt matter too much about the graphics he would be better off with speed and for that the MSI Z77 board and the i3 would be better peformance.

9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I think to be honest both amd and intel will allow a level of upgrade. When I buy for work I choose intel, for home I pick AMD. If you want cheap and intel you could look at the pentium g series too. They are half the price of an i3 or there abouts and use the 1155 socket allowing a cpu change in future if you wanted. For a basic machine you can't go far wrong.

10. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Llano is good for an entry level PC, with good integrated graphics. As Sam said though, it can only be upgraded to a better Llano chip as Trinity, the next generation APU, will use a different socket. If the PC might need upgrading in the future then Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge will be better (I would recommend IVB as it will have a little better performance and has native USB 3 support). I'll leave others to talk about which chip is best, I tend to look toward the high end of each platform :)

11. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

debs i agree with you but as for the Ivy bridge i wouldnt pick that although it is the new chip. my reasons why i wouldnt pick ivy is it is basically sandy bridge but condesnsed down into a "smaller" chip also even though it has PCIE 3.0 support whats the point when he wont really be buying a PCIE 3.0 graphics card and if he was going to buy a PCIE 3.0 graphics card then he would be spending more money on higher end gear rather than "entry" level. Also another reason is just say he wanted to give it an overclock for running the family pc faster, ivy bridge is shite for temps and since he wont be buying a higher end case the high temps would just sky rocket, he would be better with sandy bridge which is cheaper than ivy and has more PROs than Ivy. He might aswell get a sandy i3 and the MSI z77 mobo, this would give him performance over the amd also like i said if he did want to take the board for a different system in the future it would allow him to just bang some new parts in the board and have good performance where as the amd system wouldnt really allow for that.

12. debs3759

Sandy Bridge is only really better if you buy a high-end chip that can be overclocked. At the entry level neither can be overclocked (or at the best they can only be overclocked a very small amount, not enough to come across IVB's heat problems). I agree the OP will probably not need PCI-E 3, but as I said he may be able to use USB 3, which is native to IB.

13. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

yh wasnt thinking then about which chips can be OCed lol but i would still say SB still since its cheaper than IVB and i wouldnt really pay the extra just for the native usb3 :)

14. debs3759

The extra cost gets you on average 10% extra performance at the same clock speeds, and lower power consumption (which would make up for the added initial cost, for some people).

15. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

well i suppose everyone has there opinion and preference, id prefer SB but thats just my preference lol.

16. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

i3 is definitely overkill, a Pentium G620 would serve fine and can be bought new for around £45.

17. sam12301

sam12301 New Member

well why buy a pentium g620 when he can buy an i3 which will last him longer, he might aswell get with the times a bit and get an i3 plus the i3 would be better in the MSI board rather than the pentium.

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Because it is 50% cheaper...
    By that logic why buy an i3 when you could buy an i5, i7 or Ivybridge? After all each model is only a bit more cash than the one before it.

A pentium would easily handle what the OP required whilst allowing an upgrade path in future to a core i proc if required if the preference was for intel over AMD.
    This would keep the cost of the build down and allow for the purchase of a better board/case or even entry level graphics card now.

19. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Actually, they will last him the same amount of time. The pentium g620 is powerful enough for mild gaming which is more than what he'll even be doing. The price difference is significant enough considering he will never notice a difference and if he changes his mind down the line he can upgrade.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Get the G620 on a Z77 board, this keeps the current price down but allows plenty of scope for future upgrades to CPU, discrete graphics etc. You gain native USB3, plus aren't locked into AMD's system that would hamper you from anything high end in the future.