1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build now, conroe later.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgkgraphix, 16 May 2006.

1. rgkgraphix

rgkgraphix What's a Dremel?

Greetings Everyone,

So I'm itching to build a new PC, and I'm having trouble waiting for conroe to come out. Espically since I read something that said it would still be 4 months for motherboards to come out and prices to drop a bit. So after reading the article regarding the overclocked PentiumD 805, I think I may go that route.

So my question is, when conroe and it's motherboards come out, the only thing I want to purchase is a new motherboard and processor. What kind of RAM should I buy that I can carry over to the new boards? Will the new technology still use the DDR2 or is there someting new coming as well?

Also is the release dates I'm seeing for Conroe for the general public or are these release dates for the OEM's.

Thank you

Rich

Last edited: 16 May 2006
  2. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

ddr2 will be the standard for conroe as well, i think.
    Also, i think that the release date will be for system builders as well as consumers.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

If you can find an Intel Badaxe rev. 304 motherboard now, it'll support Conroe when it comes out. However, if you just order one now, you'll probably end up with a rev. 302, which won't work without some soldering :dremel:.

This thread says where you can get a 304 for sure though].

Quite expensive, but probably better value than buying a board now, then another in a few months. Besides, It's an awesome board, and Intel build quality (apparently) kicks ass.

ch424

4. rgkgraphix

5. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

you could always get some ide to sata adaptors for those hd's :)

6. rgkgraphix

That's true, I forgot about those adpaters, do those work pretty good?
    I like that idea better than getting a PCI IDE card.

So regarging the thread mentioned above about the intel board. If I'm not a big overclocker, do I care that the MB doesn't have voltage control?

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

Get something like the Abit IL8 or the Asus P5LD2 - nice overclockers and lots of features

8. rgkgraphix

Those are certainly priced better for me. Does one have better overclocking tools for an amateur than the other?

If I shoot for the stars and get DDR2 800, with these work in the mentioned MB's running at 667?

9. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yeah the RAM will just clock down mate. It will be set by the BIOS.

I think the Abit may have the uGurU overclocking facility so that may be easier. Your still best to use the BIOS though imho.