1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server: Part 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Jul 2007.

1. Dollar

Dollar What's a Dremel?

All working fine now, thanks for your help...

2. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

So, i've been wanting to do this for a while. I just went back and re-scanned the articles, and didn't see anything on automated backup of files for computers! :( I would definitely like to see that (as I wait for XP to format for a reinstall... sigh). It would have to backup windows machines (as well as linux machines, i guess... :lol:)

Another idea that popped in my mind right now is streaming video/music over IP, say to my windows based home theater machine (this may be covered in the article, all I did was scan it real quick. if it is, feel free to point it out to me.)

Maybe this stuff could be done easily, but I don't know squat about linux, and so I would need someone to hold my hand as I did it (read: i need another article :))

let me know what you think. Thanks!

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Backing up sounds like a good idea

Streaming media just requires some sort of UPnP server software
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=upnp+server+ubuntu

The articles are nice, however, just copying and pasting commands often doesn't lead to a great understanding, glider has helped you setup a machine, and hopefully you know some foundations now, so it may be an idea to have a little go on your own

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

apt-get install backuppc ;)

5. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

apt-cache search is your friend :D

6. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

so how do i set an ip address on my server so it doesn't get automatically assigned one every time i restart my router or turn off my server.

I have a hunch how to do it thru webadmin:
    networking -> network configuration -> network interfaces

under "interfaces active now" i see "lo" and "eth0" but under "interfaces active at boot time" all i see is "lo".

Do i simply add eth0 to interfaces active at boot time and set the IP that way?

Thanks for the help!

7. Millusdk

You need to set the IP for eth0 to static, and assign some IP adress to it. I use a high IP number, so that the chance of DHCP assigning the same is low (don't know if this can happen). Your static IP should look something like this 192.168.1.* (if you are using standard IP's).

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You'll want to set your router DHCP server to assign it a static IP, well thats the easy way. Have a look at your routers config page to do that. Then you need to set the eth0 to come up at boot time and get its ip from DHCP again but this time when it asks the router will give it the same fixed address.

I generally have my DHCP server to assign from a pool from 50-250 and set servers and other fixed address items to <49 ie set your server to 192.168.10.5 and have the router dish out addresses above 192.168.10.50.

9. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

Ya, I understand WHAT i need to do. I'm just not sure how to accomplish it.

On my router config, I see where it starts to assign automatically, so i'll want to make this higher than my server ip. I got that.

As far as assigning the server a static number, i see "Static DNS 1", "Static DNS 2", and "Static DNS 3". These obviously don't correspond to the number of lan outputs i have on the back of my router (4).

I think it would be easier to set the static IP within linux like millusdk said, only b/c i'm not sure how to do it on my router (I have a linksys wrt54g btw)

any problem with doing that?

10. steveo_mcg

The DHCP server dishes out more than just an IP address which is why its preferable to do it that way also it means if you every change your configuration you only have to change it in one place. Give me ten minutes i'll try and find some thing for fixing ips through the router.

edit: Ahh not sure your router can assign static ip's. Bugger have to do this the hard way.

edit2: this link here should sort you out

Edit3: you need to set the IP between 2 and 99 so 192.168.1.2 ---> 192.168.1.99

Last edited: 16 Apr 2008
  11. Millusdk

I have almost the same router as you have (wrt54gl), and from what i can see it is not possible to assign static IP adresse to certain MAC adresses. So it is only possible to do it on the Ubuntu box.

12. completemadness

you can set a Static IP in any operating system

More recent DHCP servers do offer the feature, you could allways use DD-WRT (custom firmware) or something (which offers this feature)

13. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

why, i was gonna do 106...

thought about flashing the firmware on the router. i don't really have time to screw with it now though. I just want to move this server to the basement so its not a million degrees in my room.

14. Millusdk

You can assign any number below 254 (in theory). However 0 and 1 are reserved already. So no problem with 106, mine has 200.

15. steveo_mcg

Your routers DHCP server assigns addresses from 100 to 254 so if your going to use a fixed you don't want the router to start also assigning that address to an other device... that would be a nightmare to diagnose.

source: one of many.

16. Millusdk

My router starts assigning IP adresses at 100, but it is set to only allow 50 IP adresses to be assigned at one time.

17. completemadness

it would be a good idea for you to assing <100 then, Because the IP's are assigned randomly, the one you have chosen could be assigned and cause you unforseen problems

Best to just avoid the problem if possible ;)

18. Millusdk

I know, but when it says 50 IP adresses it is adresses from 100-150 :D and it assigns based on mac adress starting at 100, then 101, 102 and so forth

19. completemadness

not neccisarily

Im my experience its pretty random, just picking a number from the range

20. ~tjb~

~tjb~ Not Your Average 17 year old

phpmyadmin

phpmyadmin isn't showing up in apache. I've installed every thing but it's not working.

Tags: Add Tags