1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You can change the download location (in Torrentflux), or you can add a new samba share that links to the directory where you download. I'd go for the latter.

2. TheMutt

TheMutt New Member

I'm not sure I know how to do that latter. Any reason to choose it over changing the the directory it downloads to?

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I like to have my files organised, and downloads usually aren't :)

To add a samba share, add
    Code:
     [sharename]
    path = /path/to/files
    browsable = yes
    read only = no

4. TheMutt

TheMutt New Member

Thank you very much. Your guide is great, and you've been a great help.

5. abezontar

abezontar New Member

I'm having a problem with the VNC portion. I've installed x11vnc with syanptic, but when I try to add users with the password commands in the terminal, I get the following error

the program 'vncpasswd' can be found in the following packages:
    *tightvncserver
    *vnc4-common
    Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
    -bash: vncpasswd: command not found

any suggestions?

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It seems like a dependency hasn't been installed. Try reinstalling X11vnc

7. abezontar

abezontar New Member

I've tried that, and I'm still getting the same error.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Did you try installing one of the packages suggested? vnc4-common might be a good place to start.

9. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

Weird problem dudes.

Installed mysql and phpmyadmin but when I browse to localhost I just get "It works!" straight off, no subdirectories or whatever. Am a bit stumped really. I'm guessing this is a problem with phpmyadmin? I will continue googling.

I've added a screenshot to demostrate the problem. Compare with the pics from the guide here:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What mine looks like (notice URL)
    [​IMG]

edit: FIXED

I just tried to navigate to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and it worked immediately. dont know why mine is different but there we are.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2009
  10. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

Oh yes, do this, I had exactly the same problem :)

11. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

frustration, I don't have write access to the home directory, nor permission to create folders. all i have is the desktop lol unless i use the superuser which obviously is not ideal. jesssssssus you'd think it would be easy :p do you think its because im using a later kernel build of xubuntu?

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

No big deal, this is command you'll need to learn sooner or later :)
    Code:
    sudo chown [username] /dir

if you run that for your configured user on your home directory it will change owner to what ever you enter for the first parameter. Plenty of reading on the web for it, another good one to get early on is chmod and chgrp.

You've probably done some thing as root by accident and messed the permissions up for the /home/usr dir.

13. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

thanks, but running into more problems, it just seems there are lots of things to go wrong really (if you dont know what you're doing) and for a fileserver you want it to be quite stable and easy to run, i realised that after my brother turned it off it had dismounted the extra hard disk and so that probably didnt help and so now i dont know what settings are stored where heh.

might have a bash and see if i can get it running with windoze

14. sachwa

sachwa New Member

Hello all,

I relatively new to linux and still feeling my way around, so apologies in advance for any stupitidy on my part ;)

Have been following Glider's excellent guide to setting up a server with Xubuntu, and got to the end of part 4 (installing samba) & attempted '\\my IP add\homes' on my XP desktop; I get the user/password box come up but any attempt to login first just resets the login box and then gives me this error:

'Windows cannot find '\\(ip add)\homes'.

I don't know if this is at all relevant, but both machines are connected to the same router (with different IP addresses).

Thanks in advance for any help folks.

15. sarulnizam

sarulnizam New Member

16. Mattasp

Mattasp New Member

Hey! i have done alle this and it worked perfect from my windows based computer, but now i wanna go all (linux) and i installed another linux on a second comp, but i dont seem to find the server, is there anyone who can give me a dummy tutorial on this?

Thanx A-Maze

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

For *nix to *nix is usually better to use NFS its not really any more complicated and there are plenty of good guides on the net.

If you really want to use samba your distro might have a gui based "network browser" other wise mounting smb (samba) can some times be a bit tricky.

If i were you i'd make a new thread in the software section as you'll get more views this thread is a couple of years old and doesn't many foot falls. Tell people your running a glider sever and detail what distro your using for the client box.

18. Lee H

Lee H New Member

I know I'm coming into this thread late, but thanks for the awsome guide. As a linux newbie, my only wish is:
    Instead of going on to a third How To, *Please* update and correct the first one! It's hell having to go through 580 comments just to find out why things aren't working as they are supposed to. I'm using Xubuntu 9.04. As it is, I've got most things working but just can't seem to get phpmyadmin to install properly--I keep getting "Error installing database"

Can anyone tell me what I have to do? TIA

19. hshoshari

hshoshari New Member

Hi i'm new to ubuntu and i need help!
    i followed the article step by step and builded the server and it works fine :)

i need help
    the HDD in the server is small (13GB) so i added an external HDD it works fine on ubuntu
    but how do i link it so i can accses it like i can accses the (\\(ip)\homes) on the other computers?
    i dont know how to do it pls help.

do i edit smb.conf if so what do i write?
    thnax

20. hshoshari

hshoshari New Member

Nevermind i have done it :D

Tags: Add Tags