1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a High end PC:What all should I get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZiMMeR-MaN, 28 Oct 2006.

1. ZiMMeR-MaN

ZiMMeR-MaN What's a Dremel?

Hey...

First off I'd like to say that I'm rather unknowledgable when it comes to hardware.

I have a AMD Athlon 64bit 1.8GHZ proc at the moment on a cheap Asus mobo with a grafix card that would make fred flintstone red with emberassment... (Fx 5200.. *sigh*)

I have some cash and I want to build a really good PC.

I did some reading and Here was my first config...

Intel Core 2 Duo -
    975X - MSI/ASUS
    2x (or 3 or 4) 1GB Corsair - 533MHZ
    300 GB HDD (SATA) At atleast 10,000rpm
    MSI nVidia 7600GT
    DELL 20" LCD Monitor.
    Cambridgeworks Sound System

I don't know if Im correct with my specs there... but that was the basic idea.

Then I read somewhere that the AMD X2 Dual Core proccys outperform the Intel Proccys ..
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html (this was the article)
    And after I checked with someone that was the old generation of Dual Core proccys...

Then in the Core 2 Upgrade guide this is the suggested System for someone without a budget...

E6600 or 6700 or Higher
    Asus P5B Deluxe or Asus P5W DH
    2GB DDR2 XP2-5300 Mushkin Extreme Performance (default rated 3,3,3,x)
    And I'll throw in the Nvidia 7600GT till the DX10 cards are out.

Im really confused as to what to get and any advice whatsoever is welcome.

Also, this sytem was used in the tests which proved the AMD X2 to be better than the Intel Dual core

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard;
    Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI chipset;
    Crucial 1,024MB DDR SDRAM 400MHz; ( 2 or maybe 3gigs of ram)
    256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX (PCIe); ( This i'll replace with a 7600GT)
    WDC WD740GD-00FLA2 74GB 10,000rpm SATA;
    Windows XP Professional SP2;
    Antec 550w power supply

I don't really want to overclock my PC here, because in I live in India and if I blow something up getting it replaced, if thats possible, will be a pain.

Edit: Let me also add that Im basically a gamer and I work with photoshop and other editing software at times..

Help please.

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

No, Core2Duo, is the best to go with now, that initial specs look good, tho i would get DDR2 800Mhz mimium, also a 965powered board would be better for you as they are quite similar for performance wise to 975 but were properly made for C2D's

And 7600GT's are good but there are better cards avail like the 7900GS's.

Also the config they used is quite old, and is based on the 939 AMD stuff. Intel C2D is the current king. Also if you have a 7800GTX then actuall ur taking a step back as the 7800GTX is more powerfull than the 7600.

3. ZiMMeR-MaN

Oh ok..
    So C2D is the way to go.

The main reason as to why I dont particularly want to spend too much money on the GFX card is because I want to wait till the DX10 cards are out.

Presumably I can upgrade to a DX10 card with a 965 C2D compatible mobo?

So any suggestions as to what exact system specs I should go with?

Also, should I order it online and assemble it myself? I've kinda tinkered around with my PC quite a bit, but Im not sure/confident of actually putting it together from scratch. + There's a risk that if I break somethings that's that much more $$ down the drain.

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

P5B Deluxe is imho the best and most stable P965 mobo - its been out for ages too, and the BIOS revisions have gone steadily better. In terms of HDD, you'd be hard pushed to find a good 400GB HDD at 10k+ rpm... the best choice would be the 150GB WD Raptor (but that costs a lot of $$$). More sensible choices would be the mainstream seagates, samnsungs, WDs - any will do really.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As dragontail said, you'll be better off buying a higher-capacity drive if you're after good storage with great speed.
    The flagship drives these days aren't that far behind the Raptor's in terms of performance (nothing that's worth mentioning tbh), and totally dick on them in terms of £/GB.

6. ZiMMeR-MaN

Hey...
    Ok so, if I said that I wanted to go with the
    P965 - P5B Delux
    Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
    Nvidia 7600GT (256MB , I think)
    3x 1GB DDR2 - 800mhz (or maybe only 2x)
    150GB (or 250-300GB) Segate HDD @ 10,000 RPM

Would I sound like an ass?

Also how much performance would I comprimise by not going with the Intel Core 2 DUO E6700 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.67GHz (1066FSB) ...
    Since this costs atleast a £120 more and doesnt seem to be exciting enough for me to spend that much more money on it. (The X6800 seems too steep for me to even want to invest in...a whooping £519 or somewhere around there..)

Ok this is just the CPU (Provided ofcourse I stick to this config..)
    I also wanted advice on Flatscreen moitors... 19" atleast, and a good sound system.. (Soundcard+Speakers+ whatever).

Anyidea how good the Cambridgeworks sound systems are? And are they worth it?
    I was also thinking of getting a scanner for work purposes.. but I don't really want anything fancy here. And I know squat about scanners... so help in this department would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

7. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

that system looks absolutely awsome. a few sugestions tho,

as atanum141 said, why get a 7600gt when your current 78gtx is better? the only reason that i see to getting the 76gt is to get sli later? but the overall price of getting sli is probably more than just getting another 78gtx. also 3gb of ramm, imho, is a little bit exessive, 2gb is cheaper, and you can put them in dual channel mode! :p

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Drop the 6600 for a 6300 - they clock up the few hundred MHz very easily and it's not worth the price jump.

Another thing to get rid of is the 10kRPM Hard drive - you don't really need it, stick with 7200RPM SATAII drives. :thumb:
    Most people would also suggest sticking with only 2GB of RAM as well atm, buy a dual channel pack and you're onto a winner. :)

9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Don't forget a GOOD psu. Corsair HX620 is what will be more than enough for DX10.

10. ZiMMeR-MaN

Ooh Dual chhannel Ram.. yea. So I don't really need 3Gb.

Ok now you're going to have to explain to me how exactly SLI works and what exactly it is? I mean the only reason I was sticking to a 7600GT was because it was cheaper and I plan to buy a DX10 card somewhere in July or August. Presumably a DX 10 card will run on my P5B-965? (The mobo does look very nice...)

As far as the HDD goes... will a 7200 rpm do good? I was saying 10krpm only cause it sounds uber, and Im not sure how much of a difference it really makes.
    Though you are right a 6300 will be much cheaper, though I'll probably have to come back here for more O/Cing advice.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

SLI probably work on the P5B, at least not officially, CrossFire will but it'll be crippled. You want a 975X board for multi-GPU or an nforce board for SLI. However the 965s clock better with Core2s.

A 74 or 150gig raptor will be a good, fast boot drive, then you can invest in a large 7200 disk for storage.

2Gig of ram is more than enough, just buy some decent PC6400 stuff.

Ala, DX10, you're gonna have to buy a card now that will last until Q1/2 next year unless you can fork out through the nose for an 8800GTS when it comes out soon. I'd recommend an ATI X1950 or Leadtek 7900GS to bridge the gap as it were,

12. ZiMMeR-MaN

Hey, sorry for such a long delay between posts: Was really busy.

Anyhow : I've kinda got most of my PC together, except for the Ram.

If I get 2 x 1GB @ 667mhz instead of 800mhz will the performance drop a lot?
    Cause the price of 800mhz stuff here in India is ridiculiously expensive. Was just wondering if thats possible.

Here's the rig anyway, and THANKS SO MUCH guys! ***

E6600 C2D 2.4GHZ
    P965- P5B Deluxe
    80GB SATA Seagate @ 7200rpm
    7600GT - 256 MB (for now)
    an Hp 2400 Scanner
    and an Antec 500W SMPS

Only confusion is bout the ram.

13. DOTA_POWA

DOTA_POWA What's a Dremel?

Try getting it on ebay. I saw there are not much difference in prices.

14. [stuart]

[stuart] What's a Dremel?

From that, i was under the impression that he has an FX5200 at the moment, so a 7600 would be a massive leap up from that and getting a 7600 makes sense with the 8xxx cards around the corner.

Or have i missed something while reading through here?

15. ZiMMeR-MaN

Nope, you din't miss much, except for that fact that some guys think I should get something better.
    The only reason I don't want to spend any extra money even if its $100 or so is because I'd rather save this and wait for the Dx10 cards...
    Besides thats $100 more towards my PS3 fund :p

And you're right. Going from an FX5200 to a 7600GT is an uber mega *insert strong adjective* jump. And a 7600GT will run every game in the market at resonable settings, so I'm happy.

Also, I asked around and people say that if I plan on OCing I should invest in 800mhz ram since that has more OCing potential and the normal performance difference between 667 and 800mhz ram is barely 2%-3%...
    If that's the case, I don't really see the need to shell out double the cash when I have no particular plans to OC and I suppose this will clock up a bit intself.

Thanks a bunch guys.

@DOTA_POWA : Im kinda against getting anything online atm, because my comp supplier will cut me a decent deal if I buy everything from him. Also since he's here in India (about 15 mins away from where I live) if anything were to go wrong, God forbid, I can just go harass his brains out untill he fixes/replaces it.

They don't supply 800mhz ram in the market because its WAY to expensive and nobody really buys it. People top out at 667...

16. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

That must be costing a fair bit in India even with the discount?

Didn't think you could get this (latest gear) stuff over there.

17. ZiMMeR-MaN

Well actually I have most of the stuff with me atm..
    Im still waiting on the Mobo and Proccy.

Its 10am here.. i'll find out in 1 hour if I have it. If I do, my PC should be up and running today. I'll post pics later.

This is my rig with prices in rupess... its 80rupees to a pound :
    E6600 C2D 2.4GHZ --- 16500 Rupees
    P965- P5B Deluxe --- 14000 "
    2 x 1GB corsair @ 667mhz - 5600 per piece - 11200
    80GB SATA Seagate @ 7200rpm - 2300
    7600GT - 256 MB (for now) -- 11000
    an Hp 2400 Scanner -- 3200
    and an VIP 500W SMPS (ever heard of that?) -- 3000
    Samgsung 19" Widescreen LCD - 14000
    and a 1000 buck cabinet...

This works out to about 80k ruppes... which is approximately a £1000 or so...

18. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Exchange rate is lower than Pakistan then!

The VIP stands for Very Important Powersupply :D , well actually never heard of it like most people.

19. ZiMMeR-MaN

Ok folks...
    My rig is up and running.... Only change being made was a 160GB sata instead of an 80.

I just need some tips on how I can finetune this pc to make it perform well..

My bootup time isnt that great... Im wondering why. And I don't really have too much in startup either.

20. Aman

Aman What's a Dremel?

Hi i'm from indian too but now i live in america. :D