1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a new PC on a high budget, (Epicly long post...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toploaded, 28 Mar 2010.

1. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Fitting the cooler is everyone's main concern... The H50 actually comes with really good thermal paste pre-applied from the factory. All you have to do is attach the pump / heatsink base, tighten it down, and twist it left to right a few times and you're done. IIRC the thermal paste is Shin Etsu brand.

As for getting the wires tidy, it just takes a bit of time. Look at the pics that I posted in my thread... Basically you'll want to route everything through the back of the case if at all possible.

New headphones are always good, and with the mobo I've got in the list you're already set up for a USB 3.0 or Firewire 400 or eSATA 6.0 Gbps external enclosure for backup.

If you need any more help, you know where to find it. :)

Toploaded likes this.
  2. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

When mounting the H50, the fans should be pulling air from outside the case and then pushing through the 120mm radiator. I'd also suggest getting the Antec 1200 for the best airflow as well as its cable managing ability. Extras like atx 24pin, 8pin CPU, 8pin PCI-E braided extension cables can help wonders with the cable routing. With the Enermax PSU, the cables are rather rigid and bulky in comparison to other makes so extensions might help.

Toploaded likes this.
  3. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

I see i haven't read some things such as him already having the OS i'll revise that but the SSD is meant for a boot drive, thats why i put the samsung F3 in there. as for the GTX480, i can accept that. I knew it was silly putting it in there but it fits in the budget that i for some reason thought was £2500.

4. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

right a revised version

CPU - Core i7 930
    MOBO - ASUS P6X58D (still stand by this as its a better mobo in my opinion)
    HDD - Samsung F3 1TB
    SSD - Intel 80GB (boot drive only, hence the 1tb samsung)
    Graphics card - Asus HD5870
    PSU - Corsair HX1000 (some may say overkill, i say future proof for upgrades)
    CPU cooler - AKASA Freedom Tower
    Case - Silverstone FT02 (an excellent case. nough said)
    monitor - 24" Acer V243 HBD (People have said that this monitor isn't very good but on paper its not bad)
    Sound card - Asus Xonar D2X (even if he is using headsets he will still appreciate the clarity of this SC)
    OD - LG 22x DVD-WR
    RAM - 6GB Corsair Classic 1600MHz

That comes to £1861.64

5. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

oh sweet, that sounds better, and good to know or I might have ended up buying separate paste too.

If you didn't live 6000 miles away I'd be like 'come and build my pc, I'll buy you a beer or something!

Well that case is cheaper then the current recommended if I wonder over to

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143852

Nearly 30 quid cheaper infact due to it being on sale. If it really is a better case for 30 quid less, that's great, what do you think Jared?

@ geoboy333 I appreciate your recommendation on a case, but I think I can only justify 150 max on a case, although if I was going for a good looking case, it would be that one.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Depends on where you live, I built a almost identicle system to this for my best mate over x-mas, was great fin. The ATCS's removable motherboard tray is AMAZING! It'll allow you to fit almost everything and then just slide it intp the case to be wired up :)

If you go slow, you'll be fine :) Saying that, i've done 200+ builds, so it's easy for me, I forget what it's like when your new to this and it's you £2000 sitting before you :p

7. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Where do you plan on getting your stuff? Ebuyer?
    Because they seem to have a rather limited amount of cases. (That, or I'm spoiled)

Some more case suggestions:
    -Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W Black £137
    -Cooler Master HAF 932 £110
    -Lancool K62 Red Dragon £95
    -Cooler Master CM690 Black £80
    -Fractal Design R2 black pearl £80

Mind you this is just a small selection.
    There are some other very high quality brands like Lian Li, Silverstone and Zalman.
    Most have a very good airflow, cable routing properties or special features.

Then again, it's all based on what you need, and what you like.

8. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

I took on the comments about the XFX not exhausting out the back and was looking for alternatives (I'm using Ebuyer now, cheaper for almost everything it seems) And I came across these two, can anyone tell my why one is so much cheaper? I read though them both, seems the same card by XFX, just looks slightly different and ones nearly 40 quid less??

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196444

vs

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200580

9. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Yeah, Ebuyer, it seems cheaper then Scan for most things that are identical. And well, as I said before, I'm after the cheapest possible case with good airflow and ease of installation would not go amiss, but I don't really care what it looks like. Funny really the thing I care least about in someways is the thing I've been thinking about the most, go figure :idea:

10. masterjonny

masterjonny New Member

Haha. I really can't see the difference between those two, except I would vote:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196444

as the other has a fan similar to the Vapor-X which again won't agree with CrossFire blowing onto the card below. All the 5870 cards are much of a muchness, just have different warranties, and some have slightly different core speeds.

As long as you find one that has the small fan at the back of the card it means it exhausts across the card and out the PCI back plate, where as ones with the bigger more exoctic fans tend to exhaust downwards, onto a second card.

Toploaded likes this.
  11. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

they have, at least according to ebuyer, the exact same specs, even down to the game shipped with them, sounds like someone screwed up and put it into the system twice

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The latter had a 'better' cooler. But the standard cooler is fine if you up the fan to 30%, and it's still fairly quiet too :)

13. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Sweeet. I like that the one that is preferable is the cheaper one too lol.

By going to ebayer, swapping out my case (which is still under consideration) and maybe going down to a 850w cpu I'm 200 quid up again. Maybe I will go for an SDD boot drive after all...

Which, in regard to that, Hows this for a SDD drive for around 200?

Intel X25-M 80GB 2.5" Solid State Hard Drive (SSD) SATAII

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  14. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Case is ultimately up to you... I have the Antec 902, which is the smaller brother of the 1200, and I like it quite a bit. Down side with a window is that you will see everything inside the case, so you have to do a good job with wiring everything tidily.

As for the graphics card, any reference cooler model will be pretty cheap... The main reason I picked the Vapor-X model was because of the superior cooling and lower noise (plus it matches the motherboard's PCB). Honestly if you've got a case with good airflow, setting two of them up in Crossfire shouldn't affect temps much. They exhaust half their airflow into the case, half out of the case. jonny saying that it will blow hot air directly onto the card below it is incorrect.

I've actually got the second XFX card you linked above (the one with the 'better than average' cooler), and it works well enough, though I am having an issue where the fan sets itself to a very loud 55% full time, so I have to use MSI's Afterburner software to set an auto curve.

For the SSD, I would take your own original suggestion and wait until you pick up the second 5870... There's supposed to be new drives coming out sometime soon that will put the current drives to shame (especially with the 6.0 Gbps becoming mainstream). Put that 200 quid into a savings account and keep adding to it for later. The F3 1TB is still remarkably fast.

15. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Well, that might be a good thing the RE the wiring, if I have a good reason to make them tidy I'm more likely to make the effort, which is probably good practice ( I think I'm getting sucked into the love of the hardware the more this goes on...). Saving the money on the case works for me.

The card.. well, I guess an extra 40 quid for better cooling is worth considering, but then again I tend to only game for maybe 1-2 hours at a time, the rest of the time I'm in game editors which is not gonna be as GPU intensive, so maybe it's not such a bad thing. Is the cooling that much superior do you think? like 40 quid (70 bucks?) superior?

And yeah, I'm been yo-yoing on the SSD thing.. but I'm gonna take this final bit of advice and stick to my original plan. Just something to look froward to once the buzz of my new PC has faded alittle 6-12 months down the line.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2010
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you decide on a different case, just remember that not all of them have removable motherboard trays, as i think this would realy help you with your install :) Try to keep to something big though, as the added space really helps instanning and wiring up :)

17. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Noted for sure, I think I'll go with that one, I kinda like it.

Oh and I guess I should correct myself about the point above, it's 33.65 cheaper for that card, not 40, heh.

18. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Member

Personally, I think Jared's build in post 43 is near perfect for that price/ your needs.

Swapping the 2Tb drive for a 2nd 1Tb samsung spinpoint F3 and getting a slightly less expensive PSU would be my only changes. WRT SSD's I would consider either getting a 160Gb intel one or a 256Gb X225M.

19. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

Yeah, and that's pretty much the only changes I'm going to make, other then the case.

20. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

So Antec 1200 it is? :) As for what Pete said with the removable motherboard tray, while I agree it's nice to have, the only real benefit is being able to install your motherboard and expansion cards outside of the case. Once you put everything in place and hook everything up, there's no real benefit.

As for the GPU, performance wise, it's not worth the extra cost unless you're overclocking. You can get a higher overclock out of the Vapor-X cooler while keeping the noise down at the same time. If you don't plan on overclocking, just pick a card that fits your price range... For the most part all of the 5870's are the same. They all meet the same minimum specs.

Now you know why my title is 'Hardware Nut'. :)

Edit: ebuyer list...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Apr 2010