1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Building a workstation/home server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 30 Apr 2013.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Last edited: 4 May 2013
  2. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

thanks burnout, really appreciate the help.

The only issue is i would like to have the massive boost in performance which i would enjoy with the bigger system.

i DO really appreciate the help though, thankyou.

i have redesigned the system completely and have now got it down to £2000 for a 12 core machine. so i think im going to go with that once i have the cash together.

thankyou all for your help.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

fair enough, managing a farm can be a little bit a headache at times, but the performance scales better.

Considering you could have a 16 core 4 node farm for as little as £1700 and same node setup for a workstation all for £2000, that's 20 cores of overclocking potential right there.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

5. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Probably a long shot but I have a sr2 setup on the marketplace for sale. take a look

CLICKY

Last edited: 5 May 2013
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I have two waiting for funds, ever since I found this. Since then the ITX platform has really taken off and when I had the funds to do it only mATX was available without spending silly money, so I waited and things have changed.

I use blender for my renders, so setting up 5/6 nodes with Ubuntu, blender and lokirender is totally free, and I think landscape would allow me to remote manage each node at a software level. However since Ubuntu has been making some big changes, I might just convert to a pure Debian OS or LMDE.