1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Building laptops?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GigantoR, 28 May 2005.

1. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I know you can buy laptop drives and there are sites I have found where you can buy the motherboards and all the internal components, but is there anywhere you can buy laptop cases? Like if a friend asked me to build them a laptop and I just needed parts?

2. VirtualJedi

VirtualJedi What's a Dremel?

You can. I work for a large corp that deals with refurbished computer parts and such as laptop bottom and top cases etc etc. expensive suckers though. Like 50 bucks for the little lids at times from the manufacturer when we gotta buy them/

3. Nathan Ford

Nathan Ford What's a Dremel?

I can think of two alternatives, but they might not be what you are looking for.

1. go on ebay, or even to a computer market and but a chep old laptop. Replace the hardware and mod the case

2. Use a slim alloy breifcase. You can get them the size of laptops, you will just have to shop around.

You might even want to try to ring some manufacturers and ask them???

4. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

What you are looking for is a "barebones laptop". This includes a case + mobo + lcd + keyboard & touchpad. It might also include a built in graphics card.

You get the barebones laptop and you need to buy a processor, ram, hard drive, optical drive, mini-pci wifi and/or modem/nic card. If the motherboard does not have a built in graphics card, you also need to buy one.

You cannot buy a motherboard and laptop case/keyboard/mouse seperatly because they are all designed to work together and use non standard connections.

barebones laptops are availaible at most large online computer retailers.