1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bundled Firefox not the "right outcome"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Feb 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

[​IMG]

That's what I see and I'm very happy with it.

2. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

The point was not..."Bundling other browsers with windows" but delivering a windows WITHOUT an attached browser as standard when you buy a pre-installed box.

That way you'd be "free" to install any browser of your choise, and not just "take the conveniently pre-installed one"

Of course how one would obtain this browser...not beeing able to access the internet :D
    Kind of like the old: setup your modem for our dialin...by download *bweeeech*

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

A very basic linux install comes with out a browser, you just need a very simple protocol like wget to fetch the installer of the one you pick.

4. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Member

I think it's a petty argument against MS. The only time I use IE is at work with web applications that don't work on anything else. The rest of the time I use Chrome and Firefox occasionally.

But that's because I am aware there are alternatives and made a choice. It's basically saying that the people who aren't interested in choosing a better browser should be given the choice whether they want it or not. Some people just don't care and as was said previously in the thread, as long as they can access Google, Facebook, Myspace, etc. then they're satisfied.

Also I may sound like a thicky here, but if all the main browsers are free to download and install, then what's the difference if MS include it. I could see the argument originally when MS started giving it away for free, but now it's pretty much accepted that a browser is a free piece of software, does market share mean anything other than boasting rights? You don't see calculator or note applications complaining that MS bundle both a calculator AND notepad with their windows software.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@steveo.. hehe yea... like if everyone will do that....

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

A very simple front end with a list for the user to pick from then using a simple protocol to go get it. Point is you don't need a browser to install a browser there is no catch 22 etc.

7. perplekks45

Why not just bundle a certain version of 'every' browser? The one that's the latest at the point of time when the DVDs are pressed? Then you can install FF3, Opera 9, IE 8 or whatever you want and if you feel like a newer version, just download it.

Still I'm against that. Just keep it the way it is, IE uninstallable and everyone's happy... at least I am. :)

8. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

as much as i don't like IE i would not like it to be uninstalled. the main reason is that if something goes wrong with my default browser such as Firefox, at least i will have another avenue to access the internet to re-download it.

IE may not be the best browser but at least its functional

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If IE is removable for real, then the first malware that would exists for that OS is to remove it without the user knowing or tricking the average user to remove it. In result, people will lose access to the internet. And most people still have 1 computer at their home, so it's kinda hard to re-download IE or another web browser.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Why should MS be asked to include an option for a competitors software in their operating system?
    Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, should Vauxhall be forced to offer a non Vauxhall engine in their cars?

If the user is unhappy with IE, they have the ability to download and install the browser of their choice. Microsoft don't in any way prevent the user from doing so, therefore the EU have got this one wrong in a big way.

Ohh and I have to agree with the comments about Opera, can't stand it on a desktop but their mobile versions are outstanding.

11. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

years ago i started using firefox because i taught it looked prettier than IE, that could count for something with the average non techie?

12. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Not the engine, no, but a good example anyway.

Ah...the browser used to be an accessorie, like a car stereo...and you used to buy your car without one, and then have of choise of car stereos in the shops.Buy the brand you like and (have it ) fitted

Nowadays, a car comes with a stereo prefitted,and shaped in a way that a different generic stereo (which may be your taste) doesn't fit. And with special connectors too, so only original stereo's fit.

The same goes for "integrating" the browser in the OS...you cannot really remove it, and it's been made a pain in the *ss to replace it entirely.

13. Elledan

Elledan New Member

If Fx were to replace IE as the primary browser on Windows, I'd bet that the majority of the Windows users would never even notice the difference. It has a back and forward button, an address bar (which many people never even seem to notice...) and something to bookmark pages with. Browser.

Speaking as a web developer I'd love to see IE be reduced to a <5% marketshare, so that I can finally start ignoring it. Now if MSFT actually began to care about standards and implemented CSS 2.x (late 90s) and 3.x (current)... even IE8 isn't quite there yet.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Yup... They should be forced to use Opel engines instead! :p

15. perplekks45

:clap::hehe:

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

I don't know how this could have happened and me not hear anything about it. I'm frantically reading into it :p

Tags: Add Tags