1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt eyes please help???

Discussion in 'General' started by modding-monkey, 8 Aug 2005.

1. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

Iv just spent the weekend doing swim safety in a canoe and I spend most of my life in my boat but for the first time yesterday my eye balls burnt lol I have tan lines on my eyes :eyebrow: please please please can someone recommend me some decent glasses that will protect me from glare off the water i.e. must be polarised and all that. I’m in desperate need of sunglasses I’m in so much pain lol. :cooldude:

Cheers

2. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Get anything with a propper rating on it and you'll pretty much be covered. Heck - even service station cheapies will be better than nothing.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Get some cheap Oakleys. Ones that wrap around your head and block everything out.

4. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

full face welders mask.

seriously, they'll work great.

UV light is what burns you, if you get properly protected lanses (UVA and UVB proof) that wrap around as much as possible will keep your eyes from burning (do they look real bloodshot? i went snow camping once and didn't mace myself with sunscreen so my eyes burned, but get this, it was so bright that i was squinting most of the time, so it was a bloodshot (burned) band across my eyes, people thought i had special contacts for it!)

polarized lenses are lenses with crystals either going only vertically that absorb light going all ways but their way, so glare doesn't get through, you mention that you were on the water a lot, so you should get a pair with this too. imagine two children with a jump rope, one holding it still and the other spinning it around randomly, this is regular unpolarized light (actually not, but it's simpler to explain one kid going randomly than an infinite amount all going their own way) if they were to put a picket fence in between them, with the rope going in between it would block all the shaking except the ones going up and down in between the pickets, this is what the lenses do.

since most glare is off of horizontal objects (water, cars, etc.) if you have the polarization set vertically, so the glare (along with the sunlight that happens to be this way) is absorbed and you don't see it. also the glare is still bright through old fashioned sunglasses that simply darken the lens, the glare form the water all day can make your eyes feel tired from the bright light (imagine a 12 hr LAN party in a bright room with a very low humidity and a midget running around spraying people with pepper spray, it'll be like that)

you should look for comfortable UVA and UVB protected polarized lenses that look good and wrap around as much as possible

i would still consider the full welders mask, because if the lake you're on is called crystal lake jason might ignore you

5. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Cheap and Oakleys dont really go together (£80 a pair)...and those fakes on ebay wont do much at all probably.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Relatively speaking, £80 is cheap for oakleys. You can get them for £60 - £70 if you shop around. They have great lenses and are very well made.

I wasn't talking about style, so I certainly wouldn't suggest fakes. The lenses are what you should be paying for.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Try looking on a mountain biking site sich as www.wiggle.co.uk or www.evans.co.uk (if they dont work try .com) there are usually loads of wrap around glasses which will cover more area than oakleys.

Some of them even come with 3 types of lenses so you can change them as you need.

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I've recently bought a pair of TAGheuer sunglasses.
    Very nice glasses.

I suggest just going to a good optic shop and ask for some advice. Oakleys are the most known sport-sunglasses. Just get something thats good around the eye. (so that light common from underneath is blocked aswell)

good luck
    L

9. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

In the meantime, get some eye drops.

10. modding-monkey

thanks for all the advice I seen some nice cheep ones on wiggle.co.uk, I don’t really want to go down the oakleys road because ill most probably loose them at the bottom of where ever I’m paddling so I want as cheep as possible.

11. I'm_Not_A_Monster

get one of those necklace thingys, the ones that have a rubber boot you slip over the end of each arm and keep them from falling off.

or just tie a string to the bridge with a water wing on the other end

12. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Anything with good uv ratings and polarised lenses would be good, i have raybans and think they pwn but brands don't really matter aslong as they are protective.

13. I'm_Not_A_Monster

see dfhaii, we don't let people smoke on american subways, thats why we are safe.[/off topic and slightly offensive]

14. modding-monkey

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I think they are too cheap to be any good. lol. But Seriously, I think they will do just fine. I would advice going to a store and fitting them on before you purchase.

I wouldn't buy sunglasses in a webstore. You gotta fit them.

L

16. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Rayban, Oakley, Bloc, Bollé, maybe a couple of others I can't think of atm. They're about the only makes of sunglasses I'd buy. I've had my Wires for about 5 years now and would never be without them. Yeah, they cost me £130 but they are far superior to cheaper glasses, the protection and just damn right clarity is superb. If I ever lost or broke them, I'd go straight out and buy another pair, no hesitation.