Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CandyMan, 26 Jan 2008.
Would it be a more wise idea to wait and buy or build a new pc now or wait till spring??
What have you got at the moment?
If you wait the prices will be lower for the same hardware. However, by that time new hardware will hit the market.
So, you could wait forever for "new technology" and "lower prices".
If you need a new comp. now, and have the money, then why not?
I agree with smilodon, you could sit on the fence for forever waiting on better hardware to come down the pipe. If it was waiting for a major architectural change then sure (i.e. back when I knew PCI-E was coming I waited for that to upgrade). However there are no major changes planned in the near future so why wait? The e8x00's are out and not with a bloated price, 8800GT's are cheap and have great bang for the buck, Gigabyte DS3 series are excellent and cheap, good RAM is cheap... sounds like a fantastic time to build a PC to me!
Not forgetting the Wolfdale and Yorkfield 45nm chips. (Q6600 is nice as well.)
Well currently im running a 3.4g pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 256 meg radeon video card. So im kind of debating im not sure if i wait and see how well the phenom amd processors fair up to intel. So im kind of on the fence.
Well Intel does have some new processors coming out in April/March so you could save a bit if it's not an urget upgrade. On the other hand you'll see an increase in performance by upgrading and there's not anything spectacular that's going to come out from either AMD or Intel in the next couple of months.
well its not a huge priority my system does play cod 4 it just doesnt look the prettiest have to turn the graphics down quite a bit but i still average 70-100 kills a game lol so i do well for what i got.
E8400 Cheesecake - still dual core, but 3GHz that should do 4 with ease. I'd say wait for one of those, but even if you bought a Q6600 and a P35 (or whatever fills your budget) board now with a half decent video card and 4GB of DDR2 you'll be blown away by the increase in performance from a crummy old P4.
There's plenty on offer from Intel right now that if you need a power increase there's no reason to wait. Gotta agree on the waiting game, I jumped in when P965 was king but if I had waited a while I could have got a P35 based mobo which would allow me to plug in 1 of the latest. As it is I've decided to go for a Q6600 which should give me a big increase in power, hopefully.
Get your shopping list together, price things up individually now and then keep an eye out at your favourite shops for bargains on the more expensive items.
Saves the moments when the price drops just after you've bought.
Separate names with a comma.