1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Buy RAM now or wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vognen, 14 Mar 2018.

1. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I'm going to upgrade my Haswell setup within the forseeable future, and therefore I'll be replacing pretty much everything. As we all know, RAM prices are crazy now, but do you think they will increase or decrease within the next year? I have some spare money now, so I could buy a set now and let it wait until I'm buying a new motherboard and CPU.

I know it's pretty much only going to be speculations, but I was hoping someone with some more market knowledge than me could chip in with their opinions.

Cheers!

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

Unless you see a good deal on the second hand market I would wait as prices are expected to go down.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

There's very little PC hardware related I would buy right now, purely out of principle.

Given the recent news of Chinese fabs starting production of entry-level RAM, I would hold out and see what that does for prices.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Another day, another news story about prices going up further:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/wafer-shortage-now-also-pushes-prices-upwards.html

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I know this isn't really in the spirit of the forums, but you've not mentioned and nobody has asked - do you need more RAM right now, or can you wait?
    Sometimes more isn't better, it's just more.

6. nimbu

nimbu Modder

+1, how much RAM do you currently have?, what are you doing that makes you think you are RAM limited?

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Same goes for the rest of the upgrade tbh... Haswell is still more than capable...

My advice is, and has been for a while - unless what you have is on fire in front of you, I wouldn't be buying anything right now.

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Agreed - it's a bit tricky to be sure without knowing the full specs of your existing rig or what you use it for but the TLDR version of this post is that it's not worth going with DDR4 or swapping out a Haswell build.

My Haswell build is perfectly fine for everything I throw at it - mainly gaming with a bit of video encoding. Bar the SSD and GPU it's 2 months short of it's 5th birthday (and those are 3+ years old themselves). It does everything I want and I see no reason to upgrade it, despite having always replaced everything every 4-5 years for over 2 decades (my current rig being my 5th PC). I also upgraded my parents build from Clarkdale to Skylake, partly thanks to general system instability but mainly as some cheaper Skylake boards supported DDR3 and the 8GB RAM they had was more than enough - that and Kaby Lake was not going to support DDR3 at all.

DDR4 prices are simply too high to justify a build unless you have no other option (e.g. mobo/CPU failure) - tbh I see no reason to upgrade at the moment unless the build is from scratch and you don't already have a computer.

9. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Oh damn, for some reason I only got ONE e-mail about notifications. Thank you for all the answers. I currently have an i5-4670k with 16 gb of DDR3, which is more than plenty for most of my daily needs. I'm going to wait out for Ryzen 2, not the refresh 12 nm. My question was about buying 16 GB of quality DDR4-ram, since I have some spare money now, and let it sit and wait until I would be replacing the motherboard and CPU.

I'll hold onto my money and cross my fingers, that prices wont skyrocket and I'll end up paying even more than I would now. Thanks for the advices.

Cheers