1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Buying a 125cc Motorbike

Discussion in 'General' started by Parge, 7 May 2016.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So, I'm considering buying the above. My friends all have a scooter of some description (or Honda Grom etc) and I'm thinking about picking one up so I can join them on their Sunday rides, and also so I have something to scoot about London on if the tube drivers decide to strike or I need to pick up a small parcel somewhere.

I literally know almost nothing about bikes, so I thought I'd canvas BT for ideas. It will have to be 125cc max, as I'll only be doing my CBT rather than full bike licence. Probably want to spend £1000 - £2000.

What do we think?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Used Honda CB125

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

A Honda CBF125 or Yamaha YBR 125 are your best bets. Reliable and cheap. A CB125 is also a good bet, it'll be a touch older but just as reliable, if not more so if looked after.

Any particular style you're after? Those suggestions are generic, there are sport and cruiser models you can go for too.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

I went though 125s like sweets and the best i ever owned was the r125... I use to swap and ride friends but nothing could compare... For 2k you'd probably pick a decent one up!

[​IMG]

Such regrets of having to upgrade to a car :(

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If you're old enough go straight for a full license (funds permitting) it'll save you have to retake the CBT every 2 years.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

If you're interested I have a 2004 CBR125 I could probably let you have for ~£700 (although it's been a bit funny about starting, probably because it's been sitting).

EDIT: I have a basic set of textiles I could throw in if you're a similar size to me (about 5'11), plus a pair of TCX boots (can't rmeber the size).

Last edited: 8 May 2016
  7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

CG125 if you can find one.
    It's pretty much the generic 'learner bike', and is damn near indestructible. Some arse backed into mine and knocked it over, and the only damage was the wingmirror stalk bent (because it landed on it). Didn't even break the actual mirror.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh I should have said, I am leaning towards a scooter without gears (ie: vespa, Honda etc).

Sorry for not being clearer.

10. Yaka

Yaka Modder

Id say cg 125 rather than a scooter, scooter is easyier to start riding most peeps have trouble using gears on a bike at first. Im not ashamed to say i had my problems after being so used to driving a car.

Becuase of my size i got a varadero 125, even after i did my cbt i had issues with gears. I pushed the varadero 6 miles to a big car park that is empty on a sunday spent 7 hours there practicing gear changes and rode thd bike home.

Also check this app out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LoveApps.roadcraf1 its made by roadcraft nottingham has helpfull vidies for beginners

11. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Used burgman 125

I had a varadero 125 before I went for full but burgmans generally are a highly respected model of scooter.

Really just go have a look and try some, bikes aren't for everyone and 2k is still alot of money to drop on them.

12. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Vespas can be relatively expensive, especially the older models. They aren't renowned for their reliability either. I've had a few, done a few rebuilds on barn/shed finds I bought because I love the Vespa's and what they represent culturally. I'd go for something more comfortable than a Vespa too :D

I have an all electric scooter that is equivalent to a 50cc petrol scooter, in terms of performance. It does 20-30 miles on a full charge so is great for nipping out to meetings locally. It makes me feel all grown up and responsible towards the environment when I ride it too:D

I also have a Peugeot Satelis 2 which is comfortable and reliable. Cheap as chips to run too. I use that for runs to the coast from my home (a 50 mile ride) and just for getting around town if the range on the electric scooter isn't up to it. I enjoy riding that scooter. You can pick a used model up for the budget you have.