1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Buying A Car Cd Player

Discussion in 'General' started by antec900, 6 Sep 2011.

1. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

OK i am completely confuzzled :eyebrow:

Just finishing off my Morris Minor, now looking for a suitable CD player/ Radio and have a few questions...

I have decided that i'm going to hide the head unit away under the dash :D Its just going to be a basic setup no Bluetooth or anything special, just the head and two small 13cm speakers with the possibility of adding two more small ones later if its really poor.

I'm finding it very hard to find a normal head unit that doesn't look ridiculous, by ridiculous I mean stupid flashing lights and chromed buttons lol.

I have decided that I might try eBay to find second hand units that are standard factory fitted (I have found a few which are from decent cars such as BMs and VWs and the such but i'm not sure if i'm barking up the wrong tree. ++++ I wasn't sure if these units would require any specific converters or cables that are only compatible with the the make and model of the car in which they were fitted (i fear that they will have these complications). Also is it a matter of just running it off of a straight through 12v connection or does it need a special converter, also would i need some kind of amp.

I found these Pioneer Speakers on eBay which look quite neat... no chrome or anything lol. I was just wondering if u could gimme a verdict on um :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-T..._Technology&hash=item231376dad9#ht_725wt_1139

You can probably guess that I have no knowledge of in car audio whatsoever so I was hoping I could get some ideas of what I should be looking at from you guys :geek:

2. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Why not go for an amp, speakers and an iPod / Mp3 player? Then there's no need for any bling head unit.

You can rig it up so that no one would know that there's any stereo equipment in the car at all. If you want radio, just add portable DAB. When you're not using them, unplug them and bung 'em in the glove box.

This is essentially what I did in Vikki when I installed the intercom:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2791104#post2791104
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2789861&postcount=1336

Just swap the intercom for a decent amp, headsets for speakers. :)

4. GreatOldOne

5. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

Looks great..
    But i dont have an Ipod :( + i do honestly want a really basic setup lol... thanks though, thats given me some future ideas.

Any opinions on the speakers i picked out?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  6. GreatOldOne

7. GreatOldOne

8. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

How about this cheap Pioneer head unit? No flashy bits or chrome on it

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-deh1300mp.html

Most cars use non-standard connectors, but some cars use ISO connectors like aftermarket headunits.

I know the Vauxhalls of the mid-90's used ISO connectors i.e. Cavaliers and mk3 Astras

antec900 likes this.
  9. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

Avoid Sony head units if you don't like bright lights, I just bought one from Halfords and am disappointed that it illuminates pretty much the entire interior of my car at night :(

antec900 likes this.
  10. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

wow that does look pretty nice ... i think for now though they might be above my price range :eeek: ... thanks though :D... and wow those retro ones are nice but omg the prices lol.

Oh yeah when u said "When you're not using them, unplug them and bung 'em in the glove box" .... the car didn't come with a glove box lol... not that that's a problem.

thanks for ur replies + rep :D

11. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

Well this is a 1955 Morris Minor with no connections lol so im confused as to how i would set 1 up with no previous radio wiring in the car

12. GreatOldOne

You'd need to tap into the existing electical system.

Off the top of my head:

• Earth to the chassis,*
    • Constant power from the battery, to keep the radio memory - don't forget to use a fuse.
    • Switched power to turn it on when you turn the key to the accessory position
    • Lighting power to turn on the radio illumination when you turn on the lights.
    • Ariel
    • Speaker runs for each speaker you want to install.

Depending on the headunit, you might need more things connecting up, but I think that's the minimum - you might not need the illumination one, depending on how disco-tastic the head unit is. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I missed something.

You can buy ISO connectors that you can wire up yourself, so once you have done all the car side wiring, all you need to do is plug in the ariel and the ISO connector to the stereo and off you go.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/products.asp?section=Car Audio&category=ISO Connectors

* If the car is negative earth that is. Some Minors are positive earth, IIRC. You can get positive earth adapters if you haven't converted the Minor to neg earth:

http://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/accessories/autosound-positive-earth-adaptor.html

antec900 likes this.
  13. Xir

Xir Modder

...IF the unit tells you what cable does what...cut off the ISO connector and just use a terminal block strip. It's what I did in the 2CV (yes I had one, no nothing preinstalled)
    Really just +,-, antenna, 2x speakers, so six cables + antenna.

IF the stereo has switched power or extra light options, you can short them to +, but it won't turn off when you pull the key (which I prefer), so you'll have to turn it on and off manually.

For cheap, I reccomend anything by LIDL or ALDI...
    No really.
    50 pounds buys you a "Eats-anythin" MP3 player-USB-SD connectors, the works. The sound isn't great compared to a 400pound unit, but your not going to hear the difference in a morris minor anyway. :D

antec900 likes this.
  14. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Same here. Being able to plug in a USB stick and it reading all the music on it is pretty useful though. Just a shame about the bright shiny blue lights.

antec900 likes this.
  15. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

Thanks .... i did actually think of looking in lidl lol... just didn't want to admit it :D ha they seem fine and for 50 pounds its hardly gonna be noticeably different to a jvc as its probably made by some unknown company anyway for that price.

16. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

Just wanna say a big thank as I seem to have all the info i need now you explained the basic set up process which is perfectly logical and right along the lines of what i imagined i would have to do.

I might upload some images once done so you guys can see what i have done :D

Oh i bought some rip-speed speakers from halfords for about £25 which seem fine for for listening to music at a reasonable level :D

Thanks again all:thumb: +++ rep for anyone who helped out :D

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Truth be told I did compare the 50pound ALDI unit to a >400pound JVC (remember those stealthed ones about 10 years back) :D, Boy was that a difference...but in a well silenced car with 6 Blaupunkts in different sizes, not in the 2CV with 2x10pound speakers on 0.2mm steel doors :hehe:

18. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

just bought one of eBay, opened but brand new never used and a total bargain... Its a Sendai CD889 with USB, SD, MP3 AUX in and all that other crap that i never really wanted but i won the auction for £4.60 with £8 postage at 4am so i cant complain :D

The only thing missing is the fuse and the connectors which were together in the bag but apparently went missing... I assumed that it would be a standard iso but its an odd one that i have never seen before :eyebrow:

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/CD889.pdf

It's the one just above the fuse on page 12 of the manual. Looks like it could be 4 separate blocks or one large one....

The fuse also happens to be missing lol but i wasn't sure if all 15a car fuses are suitable? I found these but i could do with some advice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-AMP-15A-STANDARD-AUTO-CAR-BLADE-FUSE-FUSES-PK-20-NEW-/270790423894?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0c5df556#ht_500wt_922

Thanks again :D

I believe the connector is the following ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SENDAI-WH...r_Technology&hash=item20bc1c3e46#ht_500wt_922

but price seems steep as the cd player was £15... this is kind of thing i would expect to be £2 or something lol.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  19. Xir

Xir Modder

Well you've got all the data you need on page 11 of the manual, and yes, if it physically fits, any 15A fuse will do

Tags: