1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Buying a Laptop - Buy low-spec and upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zurechial, 19 Nov 2007.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm planning to buy a laptop soon but I'm trying to save as much money as I can in doing so..

I'll be using it mostly for university work (ie; written assignments and music production) and gaming (last-gen).
    I'd like to have specs something similar to the following:
    -C2D T5500 (or another reasonably fast dual-core cpu)
    -At least 1Gb of DDR2 (preferably 2Gb)
    -A discrete GPU in the region of a Go7300, but preferably something a little bit more powerful (eg; Go7600) with dedicated VRam.
    -A 15.4" screen at 1280x800 at the minimum (preferably a 17" at 1440x900)
    -HDD-size isn't a major issue, anything 80Gb+ will suffice as I'll still be using my main desktop system at home for the most part.
    -Built-in WiFi
    -Any half-decent DVD-drive
    -XP would be vastly preferable to Vista

Not asking for much, eh? :p

Anyway, I've been considering these models, as they seem to tick most of the boxes:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1443000#spec
    or
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1412103#
    or
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MME865H514#spec
    Any thoughts?

The main thing I'm wondering, though, is if it would be cheaper to buy a similar laptop in terms of platform/chipset and screen, without any OS; and buy components such as the CPU, HDD, GPU, etc seperately?
    Or would that be a pointless false-economy?
    Where would one even buy a barebones laptop of that nature? (ie; not one of the 900-quid MSI ones)

I've been a desktop-only person all my life, being loathe to buy any system with a price-premium for portability but I have to cave in now that uni demands it, so any advice is welcome!
    (Apart from "Get a Mac!" - I don't want a Mac :p )

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: 20 Nov 2007
  2. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Laptop chassis are notoriously expensive. Have a google for "bare bones laptop" and you'll see what I mean. Personally, I'd be going for this ASUS F7F-7S066XC. 17" screen, okay processor (if you're not gaming, you don't really need the processor speed) and 2GB memory.

Any of the laptops you linked to would be okay (IMO). I just haven't got the brain power today to convert between £ and EUR... :)

Andy

P.S. Sorry, just re-read your original post. You are going to be gaming, so the lappy that I linked to probably doesn't meet your requirements.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2007
  3. sachinweb

sachinweb Banned

Buy best laptop

i will suggest that for price matter Acer will best buy but if you want high configuration laptop then HP, sony, dell company site buy best laptop