1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Buying a second hand laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by defined, 30 Nov 2013.

1. defined

defined Botch-Job

So in going to view a laptop tomorrow after finding a seller on ebay, what would be some quick any easy tests i can do and what would be good things to look out for?

IM going to make a list to take with me as my mind will probably go blank when in there

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Load it up with prime 95. Use the blend test with a instance of core temp and cpu-z. Prime will stress the system and show that the laptops cooling is up to the job. If it's not, you can expect to see the cpu throttling it's frequency in cpu-z.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

There is only so much you can do if it's your typical have a quick look and exchange cash. I'd do the following:

At least switch it on.
    Check all the keys are working properly.
    Check the fans aren't abnormally loud and running at full speed the very shortly after it turns on.
    Check ports such as the charger make solid connections.
    Move the lid while it is on to check for dodgy screen connections.

There are probably some other things, but that is what springs to mind.

Ideally you want a bit more time with it so you can run some tests (disk health, some sort of stress test).

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Check:

WiFi, Bluetooth, USB Ports, Windows Licence (if applicable), Charger, Keyboard, Trackpad, Speakers, Video out (if possible), Headphone / Mic sockets, Camera, Battery life and cycle count.

Most of all check out the seller. If you feel uneasy about them...

5. defined

defined Botch-Job

Thanks for the info guys, some good points that i would probably missed out on

The laptop is a Aspire V5 - 121 - C72G32nkk, and ive been offered it for £120, the girl who pit it on ebay didn't list it very well at all and i had to help her find the model number as she just listed it as a acer laptop with no description.

6. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

I don't think it's a good idea to use prime 95 on a laptop. Even my alienware can't cool when prime 95 runs.