1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Buying my first sports car - advice/thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 29 Jun 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I run a Ford Focus RS. It's powerful enough to keep me happy on the track whilst at the same time, comfortable and not overfueling to be used as a daily driver.

[​IMG]

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I would be looking for a Vauxhall Manaro can find them under £10K, i've seen them as low as £7K for a £40K muscle car.

[​IMG]

Mental tyre eatting retard that'll scare you and make you smile at the same time, or sit back and roll smoothly along.

This coming from a lover of Volvo's and there fantastic T5 engine, they just went wrong by moving to FWD, should have stayed RWD.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2010
  3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The monaro VXR, I believe is ALSO available as a Chevrolet Lumina SS (i might be wrong, though) in some parts of the world (Southern Africa) or a Pontiac GTO

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yeah, all the same just different stickers

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

and different bodykits. Don't forget the bodykits. ;)

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

good luck with the insurance though ;)

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

To be honest, I'm going to have trouble with insurance no matter what I choose. 0 years no claims and a 23/24 year old on a 180bhp+ sports car... it's never going to finish below four figures. Not for the first year or two anyway.

I LIKE that. Got any pics of your own you'd fancy throwing up? I always liked top-of-the-range (how's that for possibly incorrect use of hyphens?!) Ford cars. My Dads Mondeo Titanium 145 is a prime example. That thing PULLLLS :)

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

At your budget you'd only get the swivel-eyed Mk.1 RS though. :p

9. Unicorn

Mmmm. 10K really is the limit. Unless I get several large, extremely profitable contracts in the next 12 months, that's not likely to change. New bills have dropped through the door in the past week or so :rolleyes:

10. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The loon-factor varies from car to car, apparently, plus there's the undeniable self-satisfaction of surviving everyday trips...

[EDIT]No variant of the Mk.IV Golf was a 'sports car'. Sure, there might be power in the R32s and the like, but that was a big, fat, corpulent car for something marketed as a midsize hatch, and that shows in the handling. If I was in the market for a recent fast hatch, I'd look for Clio 182s/Trophies (!!!) or a Mk.I BMW Cooper S/Works, not a Golf. The Mk.III & IV are overweight, the Mk.I & II are fabulous but really classics nowadays, and the Mk.V is massively expensive and larger than some saloons.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 15 Jul 2010
  11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Get a LANCIA!!!

In all seriousness, the Clio might be a consideration if you want a fast hatch, I'd just stick with the Celica though, they can be decently cheap nowadays.

12. Unicorn

I've test driven the MKIII Clio 197. I loved it, but it's just the same as my old car with a bigger engine, better gearbox, sports suspension and nicer trim. I have a feeling it wouldn't feel different enough to call a weekend car. Besides, if I buy a third Clio people are going to think I'm taking backhanders from the local Renault dealership :hehe:

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hmm, How are the RX-7 prices in the UK?