1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Two Alpine 12" Type R Subwoofers, which amp?

Discussion in 'General' started by DivineSin, 27 Mar 2008.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

There is no bracing in those boxes, which means they are boxes for show, not so much go. A box is supposed to be made to suit not just the sub but also suit the car. Throwing your sub's in either of those boxes is just trying your luck, but you could do worse tho.

The alpine sub you are suggesting has an effeciency rating of 87db, which is about as bad as it gets. Basically, a 12" subwoofer with a 90db rating will be just as loud, with only 250w, and at 500w, a 90db subwoofer will be much more louder/powerfull. Even higher db's can be had, you get what you pay for.

24hz low end is good, lower can be had, but i'd rather get one quality 15" sub which will have a response limit below 20hz, complimented by some quality splits. Again, you get what you pay for! There are many expensive quality splits out there, but one good subwoofer range i can think of that wasn't too expensive was the kicker xpl range - i dunno if they still make them? The kicker amps were excellent, way better than most, but last i saw there were a couple of cheaper weaker kicker amps available, but the serious powerfull amps were still available, i dunno if that's still the case?

It's the usual you get what you pay for, it's not just how good your amp & subby & box is, it has to be made to suit the car, and it has to be posistioned in the car well to get what you want out of it. Or you can just try your luck, throw it all together and see how it turns out, then one day, sit in a competition car and be amazed at how a well designed & built sound system performs. There's a reason good sound systems can cost more than the car :D

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Of course you get what you pay for... That is rule number one...
    By the way... why are you not buying it on the "high street" instead.
    Tell the guys what you want and what you want it for... Never just throw something together without experience.. That goes for any project.
    I have a complete E-series sub/amp combo it's the SBE 1243 with a mono alpine block that gives off 450W. I got it as a recommendation by the store. Now these guys I trust because they know their equipment and what you can get out of it..
    Hell.. One of them even said that is should buy some speakers that was another brand. he told me that i should not be afraid to mix and match.
    So as is i have panasonic component speakers, alpine amp/sub and a alpine 9883R headunit. Works for me.
    Talk to the guys down at the store. But trust them first off...