1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

By-Passing Motherboard Prompts

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by HelpDesk Nightmare, 1 Sep 2020.

1. HelpDesk Nightmare

HelpDesk Nightmare New Member

So I'm trying to help my son with his science project and trying to figure out if I can direct wire a Corsair sealed water pump unit with a 12V battery? I saw an article from 2017 by a gentleman named Dave Alcock explaining how to jump a PSU using a bent paper clip in the connector sockets however the Corsair does not have a socket connect, looks to be some kind of exposed pins. I'll see if my photo will attach. Corsair pin Connector.JPG

Just looking for some guidance in unfamiliar territory!

2. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

that's a sata power connector, jumping is done on the power supply side which you do not have cause battery

[​IMG]

3. HelpDesk Nightmare

Well this connector only has 4 wires in for all those pins, I'm just thinking if I could find the red positive and black I could just direct wire them to my battery and everything just be on but once I cut that connector off I'll sure be committed! Of course if I had a female receiver side I could cut the outside wires and save the connector (keep intact the Corsair cable side). Really just trying to figure out how to run the pump and maybe even the RGB with direct power bypassing the communication wires.

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

yea all the 12v are shorted together all the common's are shorted etc, based on your picture an educated guess would be the 12 volts and ground for the pump motor would be the 2 left most wires, the other two are connected to either 5 volts or 3.3 volts and ground for the LED's but you would have to use a multimeter to figure that out

RGB might be more tricky without a external controller of some sort (dunno if its just dumb or addressable as well, addressable is a digital communication dumb is just add power and ground to mix and match)

and yea you could get the power supply connector and do it that way saving the sata connector on the AIO (which is probally what I would do if I was going to use this in a computer ever again)

edit: I dunno what part of the world you are in but they do make adapters as well such as .. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812422777?item=N82E16812422777&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cables+-+sata+/+esata+cables-_-N82E16812422777&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv7L6BRDxARIsAGj-34rvHd1jhsc14waSRS16KN95aRYJ9eYQqWza8wucp7KxHczbR4LbjqQaAruXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

and with mustard / ketchup cables yellow is +12 volts black is ground (red is 5 volts)

edit edit: the only communications going on is the speed sensor output and RGB neither are required for operation even in a computer

Last edited: 1 Sep 2020
  5. HelpDesk Nightmare

Appreciate your help Osgeld, so I got a female SATA cable to 4 wire, my 12V motorcycle battery runs the fans and pump with aplomb. Not sure I'm going to be able to figure out getting the RGB's going because what I've read and gathered is they only need 3.3 or 5V (my unused red wire) to drive them. I'm sure there is some way to knock the power down on a separate lead to the RGB but now were talking math and I'm a goner for sure on that one! LOL I did contact Corsair but I don't think they were to keen on what we want to use the unit for:-0 I'm going to try and dig out my Multi-meter I have somewhere around here and then see if I can find away to shear 7V off onto the RGB lead, everyone cross your fingers:hehe: