1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bye bye, Lik-Sang

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 24 Oct 2006.

1. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

I'm getting too fed up with this. Rationally and logicaly i should be really upset by this, but my senses are dulled by all the crap that has happened in recent times. I just go "oh well" and shrug my shoulders.

Maybe that's the plan? :worried:

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

"Oh my god, they've killed Lik-Sang...you b******s!"

They really have become such an evil, money grabbing company.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Yeah let's all jump on the "We hate Sony" bandwagon!!! I'm sorry but Lik-Sang were on dodgy ground from the start and sooner or later someone was going to challenge them on it. Sony is in business to make money and make sure their shareholders get a return on their investment, importers cut into that revenue stream and so were always going to be a target at some point. Or is it that Sony aren't allowed to take action to protect their rights cos they're a big company?

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What rights? The right to only reap the benefits from globalisation but to sue if they dislike the negative aspects of it? Sony are clearly either price gouging, or providing a tardy service in the EU if another company can afford to ship stuff from japan all the way over here and still make money on it. Free markets are what should be respected here, not the rights of monopolistic companies.

F**k Sony - I intend to do my bit to make sure they can't have their cake and eat it here, I'm not gonna buy sony stuff, I'm gonna badmouth sony stuff to everyone who mentions them, and others should do the same. The consumer should not be screwed like this.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

True be it said that not all actions a buisness takes that are in its best interest are going to be in the best interest of the consumer. But there is a relation between the two. The point is there are few alternatives for some of the products sony makes. Sure there are alternatives. But the way sony see's it, if you are not going to be buying a ps3 then your only other choice is an xbox. If you are not going to buy a psp... few alternatives there that are relatively modern.

We can all hate sony for what they are doing. Personally I have never dealt with lik-sang. But from what I hear they at least made an attempt to give some fairness to prices to consumers. But more or less at the cost of sony. I own a few sony products and am quite impressed with each.

Big buisnesses sometimes have to make big buisness decsions. This just happens to be one of those. :sigh:

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If that's what's pissing you off then maybe you should direct your anger at the High Court who ruled that Lik-Sang's sale of PSPs was illegal? Sony are gonna do what they can to protect their profit margins and of course they're gonna take legal action if they see someone eating into those margins, especially when said entity is operating on dodgy legal ground. But at the end of the day it's the court who didn't respect the free market, and it was them who upheld the "rights" of monopolistic companies.

7. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

their rights as a production unit are to produce and sell. lik-sang bought and sold. what about their rights as a company? what were they loosing? lik-sang bought from sony... its not like they were making counterfeit PSPs. sony in the end still got the sales for the PSP what is f-in matter who bought it. even if they did wait until the official release of the PSP in the UK... speaking of which, are you serious that the PSP hasn't been released in the UK yet?... there are still plenty of people that would have imported the PSP from japan anyway. they were just getting them a little earlier. and im sure when teh PSP went on sale in the UK there are people that would buy ones sourced form the UK. this is a decission i would have expected in north america not the EU. NAFTA allows any company to sue anyone and anything if it feels that its profits were being harmed. like the company that sold an additive into gas that was a carcinogen and California refused to sell the gas. so they sued california for lost 'projected' sales. not sales they knew they had but ones they suspected they would have. that is pretty much what sony did here.

i think it should be illegal for sony to hold a product back that is clearly ready just to play the marketing game. i mean the PSP has been in the US for far too long for it not to be in the EU when they clearly have a finished product.

8. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

Cannon's are the best for digital cameras. They have better picture quality then Sony.

9. K

K 528491

I've seen the Sony press release too and it all seems slightly fishy but, hey, it really sucks. Because I really liked Lik-Sang.

I guess Sony should be filing lawsuits against eBay now too, right?

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

No, I don't accept this "it's just business" crap. People can claim that but I'll still hate the people who decided to pursue this issue in sony for being crappy people. I'm also pissed off with the high court, very much so, but that doesn't lessen the fact that they were reacting to something sony kicked off. Sony have really done something wrong here, and they deserve to be boycotted. Thankfully that message seems to be spreading throughout the net, and even if it's informal, their profits should be dented by the number of forum readers just not buying their crap anymore.

11. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

Sheesh, thanks sony, thanks for ruining it . . .

Seriously, why did they have to close them down? couldn't they have just stopped them supplying sony equipment? They had some good accessories that were damn hard to find elsewhere.

Ah well, here's hoping some company gets all their stock in the liquidation sale and starts another lik sang 'esque site.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm sorry but had it been some little company who had successfully sued a big company for selling their product at cheaper prices, and as is now the case illegally, everyone would be congratulating the little company for standing up and taking action. Just because Sony happen to be a big company doesn't make what they've done wrong, maybe it makes the law wrong but Sony are just doing what businesses do i.e. making money.

13. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Fuji F30 Babeh!

And yeah I aint buying Sony ever again.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

<insert here BIG F***ING RANT!!!!!>

thats better.

Krazeh please take a moment and think of the repercutions of this then return to read the rest.

did you think:

Who is next?
    (ebay, every online auction site, almost every store that might import/export products, .... would you like them to close after being sued to death?)

Is their console/products worth closing any company?
    (how would you feel if i ruined you economically in court because i sued you for using my air)

was it necessary to drag this into court?
    (a simple talk face to face would have had better results.)

and the biggest question of them all:
    Will sony lose money because of less sales because of these companies?
    (my opinion on this one is: HELL NO!!!! consoles would sell more if people had it before time, (the jealousy sindrome, that is very simple to comprehend, if someone has something cool you will want something equal or better.))

15. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

**** Sony.

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Please just because something is illegal dosn't mean it's wrong! all the importer did was buy the product and resell it. In my mind once you have bought something you can do whatever you want with it, no matter what the law says (which was probobly crafted by large companies trying to gain monopoly and who have seemingly bought out our govenments).

*I rearly want our econmy to return to capitalism as it seems alot more fair than this.

17. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

You're right, companies exist for one purpose: to make money. However, that doesnt mean that how they go about making that money will always make the consumer happy. They need to please consumers in order to convince them to hand over their hard earned cash. I'm unsure how large an impact this negative backlash will have, but there is a possibility it will be significant.

The issue here is that Lik-sang hampered Sonys ability to price-gouge European consumers. If a psp cost X in japan and you add Y in shipping and 3rd party profit costs you get Z as the cost to import. That would mean Sony now has to match Z and live with similar profit margins or face a problem in the form of someone undercutting their price. If history indicates anything, pricing for products in Europe that originate from the outside are sold at a considerable markup. This is the whole reason for Region Coding and the like.

With lik-sang in business and selling import ps3's.. if there was a large enough install base in europe, it means some of the would be blu-ray market may shift to import purchases as well.. again effecting Sonys bottom line. This becomes especially true when you take into account the price of the Ps3 and assume that anyone who imports one will be sticking with import-based media for a VERY long time. I dont necessarily think what sony did was wrong or out of line. They were protecting their best interest.. however, in doing so, they have negatively effected MY best interest..

If you think I will put a company (which I am not a part of, not even with a minimal chunk of stock) and its interests above MY interests as a consumer.. then you are out of your mind.

I thought DRM, the MPAA, RIAA etc. had proven example enough.. when a company sees progress is hitting off target in regards to their best interest in relation to their bottom line, action is sure to be taken.. but be especially sure that the action to be taken doesnt negatively impact consumers best interest or you're just asking for a heck of a lot of negative publicity which may possibly injure your brand label. There are always multiple ways to go about doing things.. and sometimes you must bite the bullet. I higly doubt Sony anticipated a negative backlash on a massive scale. I hope they receive it. A company needs to keep their customer first and foremost in their mind at all times. They can make all the money in the world for all I care, as long as they do that.

Sony, obviously, is out of touch in regards to what consumers want and has demonstrated this numerous times over the past several years.

/rant

18. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Krazeh you are completely missing the point here. Sony did profit. Lik-Sang rightfully purchased the PSP's through Sony's distributor and then Sold them to overseas customers. What is the problem with that? Anyone has free right to do that. It just so happens that Lik-sang was making a profit from sales in a region Sony didn't want to have the product yet. This was for the sole purpose of increasing demand, and playing this stupid hype game. What's the point in delaying a region free product? None at all. Besides, Lik-Sang imported MANY other products with which no other company had a problem with. Obviously Nintendo should want to sue right? No they didn't because they know what an import shop is and that even when they release, they will still make profit margin. I imported my Tales of Eternia from Lik-Sang since the developers saw fit to delay the release of a game in North America that was already in English which made no sense. The only reason Sony went after Lik-Sang was because Lik-Sang was selling them cheaper than what Sony wants to charge for the EU PSP, which as usually is much more expensive for some stupid reason.

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. I've been on it for a very long time. It starts little-by-little with a slight dislike, then complete dislike, and then, finally, the full stop hate. My reasons for hating Sony are valid and if you do a little searching from around E3 time, then you'll see a very large post made by me specifically why I'm against Sony concerning their PS3.

No bandwagon here man. None at all.

:EDIT: Actually, I want to take back my remark about not buying anything from Sony again. I might just go buy me a single share of their stock just so I can go sit in on an investor's meeting.

20. Darv

Darv Bling!!

People seem to think that when people go on about Sony that they are jumping on the bandwagon. But it's completely justifiable. Their business practices are terrible. I was thinking of getting a Sony DVD player but I point blank refuse now!

I really liked Lik-Sang. You could get all sorts of stuff there that you would never see over here.

I think it's horrendous that Sony managed to sue a company out of business, but yet AFAIK stil haven't settled the fact that they are using patented technology in their Dual Shock controllers illegaly.

The sooner Sony completely dies out the better.

Tags: Add Tags