1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Bye, Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by xen0morph, 28 May 2008.

1. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Emacs is an Emacs Lisp intepreter, get it right.

2. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I can understand your anger but they're not being 'righteous geeks' as you say.
    They can't include some wireless card drivers or MP3 compatibility 'out of the box' due to licensing restrictions.
    With regards to wireless card drivers specifically, there's a great article here which helped me understand the issues surrounding wireless on Linux.

I'm finding all the information I can on Linux atm as I've started a uni project on it.
    Pretty simple project to anyone who knows linux but it'll be a good challenge for me cos I'm a lin00b. :(

3. mortadelo

mortadelo What's a Dremel?

I used FreeBSD for over 8 years then switched to Ubuntu and I must say it's sort of like windows. It works out of the box but it doesn't feel right. With Freebsd I controlled the OS and the OS controlled the hardware, with ubuntu/windows the OS controls the hardware but you're not really controlling the OS unless you start fiddling with configs removing what the OS has done before. With gentoo/freebsd/arch you are there from the start.
    It's kind of like buying a prebuilt PC and changing some hardware or making your own PC from scratch, sure they'll both work but one makes you feel better than the other.
    And TBH Mandriva feels like someone else built your PC.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I know, but they don't exactly make it easy for us accidental broadcomm users - and the community and developerbase very much gives you the impression that they actually hold something against you for even continuing to use it instead of just going out and buying a wireless card they like, the minute you find out it doesn't FOSS. Ta for the URL anyhow.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

been using ubuntu for some time.... i like it a lot, and it simply works.... except for my scanner, i think there are no drivers for it in any linux distro...

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I see your point now spec.
    I have a laptop with realtek network (wireless and wired) and linux won't even install on it unless I disable the wired NIC in BIOS.
    Wireless doesn't work either.

So I'm pretty much shafted cos I have no internet access after install with which to get everything working.

Not sure how to go about supplying 'drivers' (or is it Kernel Modules?) at install time, like the pressing F6 thing when installing Windows.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

In my Avatar :)
    If you want to learn a bit about linux and how things work i would suggest Gentoo, or Slackware

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

download the module and load them by using modprobe modulename

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

or insmod <path_to_module>

Tags: