1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Byron report suggests film-style ratings for games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Wait...I payed how much tax to let some sleazy politicians perv over her in a meeting? Because I certainly didn't pay anything for her to come up with original or insighttful conclusions.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I would so love to see a PG sticker on the box for Monopoly, because we all know 4 year olds are gonna be buying huge amounts of real estate etc. Or what about a 12 on Scrable, because you can make some funny/rude words on it (or try to at least)

Ok, so its aimed at computer/console games, but a games a game, and it wont take long for it to spread onto other game types, although, the current PEGI standard is easy to understand, i think it may actually be better if it was all one standard like the BBFC's standard. My thoughts on it though.

Sam

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Why was a TV-psychologist heading up the report? Ah well, makes about as much sense as anything else this Government does...

I'm not bothered about a film-style rating system, as long as the ratings office doesn't decide to ban something in game format, when it allows something just as bad (or worse) in a film. We just need a system that is enforceable, so a game rated 18 doesn't get into the hands of a 10-year-old... oh, wait, parents will buy those for their kids anyway.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Wow she is fit, more pics of her please :D

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> I certainly didn't pay anything for her to come up with original or insightful conclusions.

Neither did I.

Hey, why don't we use a ratings system that's similar to films to rate computer games!? Hang on, don't we do almost exactly that already?

Exactly how many billions of pounds did that smirking airhead siphon off to do this? I'm reminded of a memorable screen in Scrubs wherein the estimable John C. McGinley, as acerbic doctor Perry Cox, inserts clearly audible quotation marks around the professional title of "Doctor" Molly Clock (Heather Graham) who is, but for the fair hair, playing an almost exact charicature of "Doctor" Tanya Byron.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I actually Agree with this (being 24) so long as films like saw, hostel, the hills have eyes are released to general public and even the more obscure Irreversible and I spit on your grave and Men Behind the Sun are availible then stuff like Manhunt will be availible to buy is fine by me

at the end of the day people need to wise up and realise that at no matter what age i play manhunt i would never stab someone where as some people will (scally layabout sh!ts)

will it make a difference at the end of the day no.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Why did it have to be someone famous.. Well because were dealing with a celebrity obsessed culture of parents too dumb to read the box the only parenting advice they take is from hello or ok or some other bloody rag. Now it has come from the mouth of "her off the telly" they might even take notice for an hour, at least until the after the break on jerry springer or jeramy kyle or some other **** program.

9. oddius

oddius What's a Dremel?

Did you notice the article on BBC TV News, the people actually responsible for the kids the PARENTS were letting a couple of 11-12 year old's play a 15 rated :wallbash: game wonder if they let them watch 18 rated films as well. Hmm.. well how do you legislate for responsible parenting.:eyebrow:

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I thought games already had ratings? Am I missing something?

11. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

+1 !!!:thumb:

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Mmmmmm Dr. Byron is hot. Her TV show was bad, but it was worth watching as she was in it.

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I thought that too, my copy of GTA:SA has an 18 in a circle, the writing on back of box says not to be supplied to any person under that age limit :confused:

14. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Yes. But they need to continue making it an issue so now they're going to tell you the ratings they originally imposed were obtuse and hard to understand (Mature? Well, he's got armpit hair...) and foist an entirely new and probably more obfuscating system of ratings onto the industry so they can appear to be doing something about violence in videogames.

For the parents: it's your responsibility. Do some damn research before you hand your kid $50 to go down to EB.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"cigarette-style health warnings have been suggested"

WTH?

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

aye, more pics please.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Currently the BBFC applies legal ratings to games it feels needs them (e.g. GTA), the report is suggesting that they get applied to all of them.

18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

All that is needed is game ratings to actually be enforced. (I'm so evil at work with IDing people lol)
    Just it never works with games cos mummy and daddy help out!

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Exactly - ratings are not obligatory in the UK. The BBFC just selects the OTT games and rates them.

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

It would be completely impractical for the BBFC to rate and control games like they do movies. If this came about then all games which have no ratings.. (of which there is like a million)... would be illegal to sell. If they don't make it illegal to sell those older, unrated games, then it's an utterly pointless exercise. (.. I know, we know it is anyway)

Then there's online sales. Steam; will the UK ISPs be forced into banning access to Steam if they don't comply with some ridiculous UK rules?
    XBLA and all smaller games.... Are games like N+ going to need to be put through the BBFC rating process???? Hell no they aren't, the BBFC charge a lot, for a small game that'll cut heftily into profits. That'll mean Microsoft will be forced into not selling those games in the UK.

Basically, stupid pretty woman "Dr"..... **** off. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Tags: Add Tags