1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Byron report suggests film-style ratings for games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Mar 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You forget that it would be very simple to force operators like steam to make sure people pay with a PROPER credit card, thus stopping minors from buying a game with out their parents. Also i suspect that this will apply much more to boxed sales than online since, lets face it, this is about appearing to do something and its the over the counter sales which get the most media attention. I'm not sure what some are whining about it seems like a win for gamers, games we like to play aren't banned ala Germany which was on the cards the way things were going.

2. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

But 9/10 games that are rated Mature or higher that are in the hands of 10-year-olds are bought for them BY THEIR PARENTS! So the game was indeed bought by an adult. And generally shop assistants will point out (If the kids are with them and it's obvious the game is being bought for them) that the game isn't suitable for the child. Generally, they'll get a face of abuse for their trouble ("It's my kid, I'll buy what I damned well please, and there's not a thing you can do about it, so get the hell out of my face"), which would make them disinclined to help again. The same applies to movies being bought/rented and shown to minors and the like, which makes it difficult to enforce.

3. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I'm for it in all honesty. The PEGI system is confusing at best, and is not the unified system everyone seems to think it is - the age ratings have already been split into 3 sets. Plus, its down to the developer to classify their own game - which doesn't exactly give you confidence that the ratings will be consistent. The BBFC logos are recognisable and simple, and, the game has actually been viewed by people who don't have a vested interest in getting it to the maximal audience. The condition is that the ratings are consistent with films, a concern that has been raised before - but I see no reason why the BBFC wouldn't modify how they rate, in fact, it sounds like they want to know how we want it done.

The recent eventual 18 classification of "that game" shows the appeal system works as well, which is good for consumers, publishers and developers. It won't be easy to implement it to the recommended scale quickly, but I see no reason why they can't. And to be honest - if you don't like it (and the only people who seem to make a fuss are the young ones who can't buy an 18) then you have two options - get your parents to buy it (which should also be made illegal if it isn't) or take solace in the fact that the content isn't suitable for you or, a third actually, go somewhere else - you live in this country so you abide by its laws.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

In this case, the parents have no one to blame but them selves if little timmy turns out to be mass murdering psychopath. The point of this exercise, imo, is raising awareness that rating exist and the reason for them, thus the TV personality and not a lord or some other government appointed body. Recent history has shown that the useless parents of this country are always looking for excuses, this removes one potential.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What I find absolutely hideous is when parents buy games for kids. I've seen kids walk upto gamestation clerks and try to buy an 18 game, they get told "They have to have a parent with them to buy the game" but when the parent comes up they don't check simple things like "You know this is rated as an 18?" or refuse to sell as they know it's going to an underage person.

With all other age rated products you cannot sell if you know it's going to someone underage.

Tags: Add Tags