1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development C++/Open GL based Game engine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zero_UK, 2 Feb 2012.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Hey

I am studying C++ and have been given the task to produce a program as apart of my degree. One of the projects we are allowed to make is a small game with the help of openGL.

Has anyone had experience with a game engine they can recommend to a beginner user, most tutors are recommending UDK and Dark GDK over something like the Quake engine however I'm up for other opinions - someone is wanting to do theirs on the Crytek engine for example.

Some google searches and Dark GDK seems pretty good, but of course always willing to hear other peoples thoughts.

Cheers.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2012
  2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

id tech 3 engine is freely available apparently it's quite good for a learning point of view.

Zero_UK likes this.
  3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

No idea, I made my own one since it is the best way to learn OGL IMHO. I saw mainy people using OGRE 3D : http://www.ogre3d.org/

Zero_UK likes this.
  4. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

thanks, I'll look into them both!

I have been looking at id tech 3, think that is C only. C++ for Id tech 4 and I think the open source is now available unlike UDK I don't think you can do much C++ would have to chat with tutors about it.

I'll take a look at Orge too - first look straight into the source code with all the C++ classes.. think I'm going to have my work cut out for me.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2012
  5. ruke

ruke What's a Dremel?

Among UDK, CryEngine and Unity the most beginner friendly is Unity (unity3d.com).

6. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have been looking at the cryengine today, downloaded it I have been playing around with it. Just irritating because I have to ideally place my project on coding where as game engines are obviously very helpful in allowing you to do the majority of game building via a GUI with sliding bars and what ever.

There is a good bit of code available.. I'll have to play around with them. I'll look at unity now. Thanks.

___

Stumbled across Unigine which looked great, but still very much so commercial with only a trail business version.. I don't quite fancy spending $30,000 on a engine. I keep coming back to OGRE.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2012
  7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Love is one is it not, im an XNA guy myself

8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I used UDK for a while, and now I'm onto Unity - and I have to say Unity is def more user friendly for doing anything past your "Hello World' level. Also Unity is better build and more suited for designing your open world type games.

9. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Me too, but that's (usually) C#, not C++.

+1 for Unity. It's not too hard to wrap your head around.

10. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I have spent the last two days looking through game engines. I think I am going for Ogre 3d simply because all their on site tutorials are very much so C++ based. All the other engines are fantastic but most of the official support is based around the game engine interface with slider bars and windows/boxes.

Still.. this is the 4th game engine I have downloaded and started to check out.. but we shall see.

11. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Ogre 3d is very difficult to get up and going, or maybe I am just noobing it ha. Going to keep on trying to get the IDE going right simply because it is so coding intensive that it matches my marking criteria better.. if not I'll fall back to unity/revert back to basic open gl/open frameworks.