1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C2D E6300 High Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashchap, 20 Jan 2007.

1. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I just bought + installed an E6300 with the stock heatsink, and im getting some pretty high temperatures (without overclocking or anything).

When I first put the CPU in, the system ran for about 10 seconds and then shut down, I managed to get to the bios and see the temperature of the cpu going up rapidly (the system switched off just before it got to 100C).

I took off the heatsink and noticed that the thermal paste was not even across the processor, the paste was on the bottom of the HS in the box in 2 or 3 strips, not a continuous patch, and one side of the processor seemed to have less paste on than the other, so i put the heatsink back on the processor the other way round, to try and even out the coverage.

The system booted ok after putting the heatsink back on, and has been running stably, but the temperature seems a bit high.

screenshot of system temperatures

The temperatures hardly drop when i open the case, so i dont think air flow is the problem, and the heatsink only just feels warm to the touch, even when the cpu is at 80C... do you think some decent thermal paste would fix the problem?

2. nazomcg

nazomcg Minimodder

Sounds to me like the cooler isnt properly seated, its surprising how much pressure you need to use to seat it properly.

3. Pointy Burdz

Pointy Burdz What's a Dremel?

sorry if this sounds condescending, but the fan is working - right ?

4. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

It was pretty difficult to get the heatsink attached (ive never used S775 before), but im pretty sure all four corners clicked down... The motherboard starts creaking, so im a bit scared to push it any harder! I'll give it a try though...

and yes, the fan is definitely working :)

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Can you check the CPU's vcore? There's 2 "vCore" values on speedfan there, whether they're correct or not is a different matter (as other voltages look a bit messed up too)
    Your idle -> load temps suggest that the sink contact is good. If contact was the issue then you'd see a much larger jump than that.

Also, check CPU temps using "coretemp" see if that gives you a lower/higher figure. Seem's to be a touch more accurate than other monitoring software is.

<edit> once all 4 corners click the sinks correctly attached </edit>

6. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I checked the heatsink, and it seems pretty solidly attached, all four corners are indeed clicked down.

heres a screenshot of cpu-z and coretemp

The voltage seems to vary between 1.16 and 1.2V - is this normal?

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ok, temps seem to match speedfan ok which is something at least!
    Ignore the voltage given by CPU-z it's wrong quite often on the core 2's. Get voltage from the hw monitoring section of the bios. It's not going to be 100% accurate but should give a better idea. Also worth setting the CPU's stock voltage in bios too just to make sure. Set ~ 1.3v, that should be plenty for stock running especially as the rated VID is 1.265 :)

8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

CMOS just says 'VCORE: OK' on the 'PC health status' page, and 'normal cpu vcore: 1.2625V' on the M.I.T page

I set the voltage to 1.3V and the temperatures went up to core0: 76C, core1: 71C, so i set it back to 1.2625V again.

9. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

cpu-z is saying vcore = 1.264V (and is stable) now, and the temps are 69/65 instead of 67/63 so setting the voltage manually has made a difference (it was too low before...)

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Temps are still to high though, might be worth re-seating with some new paste. Could be that the IHS is dished giving poor temps. For ref, 6300 here is sat at 33 idle atm on stock cooler (with AS5 replacing stock paste) running 1.13 vCore @ 2.8ghz (idle) and low 40's under moderate load (vCore @ 1.23 - board seems to drop vCore @ idle for some reason.... thats beside's the point tho)

11. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

:(

so wheres the best place to buy AS5? and is it worth the money (im assuming it costs more than other thermal paste)?

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Not much difference between the pastes really, few deg here and there. Can make up (or loose) that much by seating the sink poorly.
    It's puzzling though, the load -> idle temps seem to have a reasonable delta you'd assume with bad contact that the differnce would be much higher than it is. Do you know the cpu's batch (it's written on the box) and what are you using to load the CPU?

<edit> Judging by the high VID, the CPU may not be a "B" code which tend to run hotter than the A's for some reason... </edit>

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Don't mean to crash the thread, but what are the sorts of max safe operating temps for C2D's?

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The CPU's themselves should throttle before any lasting damage comes of them (@ ~ 90 deg afaiK) However running them above 70 for a long period of time probably wouldn't do them a huge amount of good...

15. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

prodct code: BX80557E6300SL9SA
    MM #: 884982
    FPO #: L629B275
    Version #: D63631-002 1.35V
    Pack Date: 10/16/06

16. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

oh and i was using super pi x2 to load the cpu

17. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ok it IS a B-code chip. These do tend to run hotter than the A code (L628B).
    Not sure what to suggest really, short of going out and getting another cooler which may (or may not) drop your temps there's not much which can be done.
    From what you've shown though it does just seem like the chip's running stupidly hot! As mentioned before, the idle -> load delta looks to be ~ right it's just that the idle temp is far far too high! Could still be a contact related issue however, as you mentioned the heatsink wasn't that hot - where abouts did you test the temp?

<edit> Thanks for the load info. Assumed you'd used orthos or simialr to get the dual load. Orthos load will probably add another 5-10 deg onto your load temps which is pushing them into very dangerous territory. Try re-seating the sink again with some new paste. Clean off the old stuff - use an alchol based cleaner if you can, isopropyl works best as it leaves no residue and apply new paste.
    If you look at the contact patch on the CPU, is there any obvious sign on a concave/convex IHS at all? ie a patch in the middle/edges with no paste? </edit>

18. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

just by feeling the sides of the heatsink... it doesnt feel hot anywhere i can get to

19. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

you can always try the paste test.... that is to clean your cpu & heatsink from any residue, apply thermal paste as you would normally do and the install the heatsink give it a load up in windows and then turn the pc off again and remove the heatsink and examine how the footprint of the heatsink looks... it should be uniformed all over the cpu and not have any blank or uncoverd spaces, nor should it have thermalpaste "walls" on the outside square of the cpu as that would mean you are applying too much, check how it looks and post some pics....

20. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

well heres how it looks with the pre-applied paste (i didnt spread it out or anything)
    hsf paste
    cpu paste