1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C2D E6300 High Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashchap, 20 Jan 2007.

1. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9SA

The 61.4 is the max junction temperature: the max temperature as measured at the top of the geometric center of the heat spreader on the processor. I don't know exactly where the thermal diode is, but I was under the impression that it was internal on the processor and used a correction factor to represent junction temperature.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2007
  2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Yeah, I found that right after I made my post. You beat me to it, though. Nevertheless, my post has been edited to reflect my newfound wisdom.

However, like I said, I was under the impression the thermal diode was corrected to represent that very temperature. Apparently this isn't the case, but if Intel doesn't provide a ready means for us to measure the junction temperature, wouldn't it make more sense for them to tell us the maximum internal temperature? It seems like they are providing us with two halves of the information we need, but the halves don't line up. We know the maximum temperature in one place and the current temperature in another.

4. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

i changed the bios setting to disable fan speed control, and at full speed it idles at about 35C - the new heatsink makes a massive difference!
    The fan is a bit noisy at full power though, and I couldnt get speedfan to control the speed to begin with. I played about with the advanced settings and changed the PWM mode to software control and now it works :)

[edit] my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 incase anyone's interested. [/edit]

The cpu idles at ~40C now with the fan at 60% (silent), and the fan kicks in when it gets above 45

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  5. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

hmmm a stock e6300 still should not be than warm. i think your ihs is a bit screwed up. lapping isnt hard, if you do, make sure you DRY lap the ihs. my stock e6600 was idle below 30 degrees with a scythe infinity. somethings fishy