1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other C64 mini for some one who has never owned one.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Vault-Tec, 30 Jul 2019.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK guys I need some advice. So I bought a PS Classic and have got the stuff to create a stick so I can run other games. However, I've never owned a C64. I used to have a speccy, and I did have a C16 at one point but yeah, never a C64. I just used to go to the computer shop and drool over them.

I'm wanting to give one a go, but is it worth it? I can get a new one for £44.99 delivered. Would it be good enough to literally play Impossible Mission on? I used to sit and watch the rolling demo for hours, man. "Kill him my robots !".

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

£30 at Smyths, but I have no idea if there's any stock local to you. (There's no 'ere now, but there was when I posted it to the Bargains thread.)

Personally, I'd say no. It's just a low-powered Arm SBC in a plaggy box with the crappiest joystick this side of the Sinclair SJS-1. The emulator's a hacked-around VICE, for which they've naughtily kept the source code secret unless you send 'em a fiver by post(!)

Just get a Raspberry Pi, a USB microswitched joystick, and install VICE yersen. Job dun.

Impossible Mission's terrible on it - or it was last time mine got switched on. Between the emulation and the joystick it really is an Impossible Mission.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK thanks for that man. Saves me £45 ! sadly there are none available on Smyths for me and the local store is about 12 miles away with no sound way of getting there easily. Obviously the person selling the one on Ebay has bought it for £30 haha.